Live Brine Shrimp

shaywood

• 1 year later...
58 minutes ago, Eatfrenchfries said:

How much brine are you usually looking for? I live 5min away from World of Wet pets. I culture brine for raising guppies/mollies. 

Can you tell us about what your doing culturing brine?    I hatch brine eggs, but harvest and feed to the tank ~48hrs after starting.

Do you grow them out - how long before you harvest and feed the fish, what do you feed the live brine to grow them out.  How often do you have to change the grow out water?   photo or diagram of setup?

I used to make brine with the eggs. Lil trick is to drop 1 or 2 drops of bleach in your making jug, helps them hatch faster and helps sterilization of water. Usually cuts the hatch down to 12hrs. I havent tried keeping them long term for mature sizes but Usually there are survivors in my systems in mature sizes roaming around that I find time to time. I usually just use it as a nitrate and coral feeding source.  

I 3d printed brine hatchery dishes which I use to hatchery the baby brine. Half the artemia get fed right away and the rest are put into 5gallon home depots buckets I keep excess macro for sale in. I start feeding the babies after 6 hours and at the 6 day mark will have fed them all off and started the process anew. Complete break down of set up which includes cleaning buckets and dishes with vinegar.  Gutload includes spirulna, blended macroalgae, or phyto depending what I have at the moment. 

Why do you wait 48 hours? By then the yolk sac is gone. 

Screenshot_20221031-130907_Gallery.jpg

On 10/31/2022 at 1:09 PM, Eatfrenchfries said:

I 3d printed brine hatchery dishes which I use to hatchery the baby brine. Half the artemia get fed right away and the rest are put into 5gallon home depots buckets I keep excess macro for sale in. I start feeding the babies after 6 hours and at the 6 day mark will have fed them all off and started the process anew. Complete break down of set up which includes cleaning buckets and dishes with vinegar.  Gutload includes spirulna, blended macroalgae, or phyto depending what I have at the moment. 

Why do you wait 48 hours? By then the yolk sac is gone. 

Thanks for the explanation of your process.  I'll try it.   

Why do I wait 48hrs?  It looked like my hatch rate wasn't enough at 24hrs, so i started a 2nd hatchery and harvest them every other day.    I'm going to try @islandVib3s suggestion of adding two drops of bleach to the hatch water.  My hatch volume is about 1.7liters.  (2liter soda bottle, not fully filled)

• Like 1