Anyone Doing Anything Interesting With APEX IOT?

TheClark

IoTA is a closed platform that Neptune will not share with anyone other than hardware manufacturers willing to partner with Neptune.  So without knowing how the protocol works, there's not much else you can do with it.

See Neptune's comment here:  https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?31141-IoTa-Protocol

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Higher Thinking said:

So could you use a Sicce pump with variable speed? E.g. run at 10% when the return pump firsts turns on and then slowly ramp up. Or even slow down if the sump starts running dry and a float valve is triggered. 

There is some programmability, but not quite what you described.  IOTA outputs don't support Apex profiles, so the ability to "ramp" is not so simple.  You can program specific speeds, but not a smooth transition from let's say 10% to 50% in a single transition.  Example:

Set 50
If Float OPEN Then 10

This would run the pump at 50% under normal circumstances, but if the float switch indicates low water, it will instantly change the pump to 10% until the float detects water, then it will immediately revert to 50%.

You can "simulate" a ramp using a series of virtual outputs, but it's not an elegant solution.  The example below would ramp from 10% to 50% over 5 minutes in 10% increments when the float switch detects low water:

[Speed10]
Set OFF
If Float OPEN Then ON
Min Time 004:00 Then OFF

[Speed20]
Set OFF
If Output Speed10 = ON Then ON
Defer 001:00 Then ON

[Speed30]
Set OFF
If Output Speed20 = ON Then ON

[Speed40]
Set OFF
If Output Speed30 = ON Then ON

[Return_Pump]
Fallback ON
Set 50
If Output Speed10 = ON Then 10
If Output Speed20 = ON Then 20
If Output Speed30 = ON Then 30
If Output Speed40 = ON Then 40

7 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

There is some programmability, but not quite what you described.  IOTA outputs don't support Apex profiles, so the ability to "ramp" is not so simple.  You can program specific speeds, but not a smooth transition from let's say 10% to 50% in a single transition.  Example:

Set 50
If Float OPEN Then 10

This would run the pump at 50% under normal circumstances, but if the float switch indicates low water, it will instantly change the pump to 10% until the float detects water, then it will immediately revert to 50%.

You can "simulate" a ramp using a series of virtual outputs, but it's not an elegant solution.  The example below would ramp from 10% to 50% over 5 minutes in 10% increments when the float switch detects low water:

[Speed10]
Set OFF
If Float OPEN Then ON
Min Time 004:00 Then OFF

[Speed20]
Set OFF
If Output Speed10 = ON Then ON

[Speed30]
Set OFF
If Output Speed20 = ON Then ON

[Speed40]
Set OFF
If Output Speed30 = ON Then ON

[Return_Pump]
Fallback ON
Set 50
If Output Speed10 = ON Then 10
If Output Speed20 = ON Then 20
If Output Speed30 = ON Then 30
If Output Speed40 = ON Then 40

Excellent explanation. Apex wizardry, indeed. Thanks!

Apex is using REST API and you can interface with it. I created a custom scheduler for Trident as I found built in schedules limited for my needs. I also wrote a scheduler to dump Apex data into RavenDB to get my own reporting. There is a lot you can do if you are willing to put time into it and create code.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ibondy said:

Apex is using REST API and you can interface with it. I created a custom scheduler for Trident as I found built in schedules limited for my needs. I also wrote a scheduler to dump Apex data into RavenDB to get my own reporting. There is a lot you can do if you are willing to put time into it and create code.

That's awesome!  I wish they would officially become open, maybe put their APIs out on github.  The old line would be "we cannot support that" but it is 2021 after all and open source is the way.

Thanks for the ravendb tip, was not aware.  Been using firestore for cloud (limited but fast and free), and mongo for on prem, raven looks interesting!  How are you into hacking REST APIs and pumping data into NoSQL dbs?  A dev or just having fun?

5 hours ago, ibondy said:

That's crazy. You actually reprogrammed the Trident to run tests on whatever schedule you choose? That's some next level stuff. Do you test more or less than the "required" intervals?