WTB Berghia Nudibranchs

Reef Chard

Just now, Reef Chard said:

Looking for at least 2 berghia nudibranchs. Please shoot me a PM. Thanks!

How large is your tank?  Unless it is a nano tank, you'll need more than two nudibranchs to successfully hunt and breed.  My tank is 90 gallons and I needed at least a dozen nudibranchs to have an impact on a moderate aiptasia infestation.  It took them 2 to 3 months to clear it up.

• Like 1

My tank is a 45 gallon AIO and the display portion is probably close to 30-35 gallons. I also have a melanurus wrasse that I'm afraid will eat them. I've considered getting some peppermint shrimp but I have a lot of softies and LPS that I'm afraid they'll pick at. The aiptasia population is starting to get out of hand. I've used so much aiptasia-X but they seem to keep spreading 

Just now, Reef Chard said:

My tank is a 45 gallon AIO and the display portion is probably close to 30-35 gallons. I also have a melanurus wrasse that I'm afraid will eat them. I've considered getting some peppermint shrimp but I have a lot of softies and LPS that I'm afraid they'll pick at. The aiptasia population is starting to get out of hand. I've used so much aiptasia-X but they seem to keep spreading 

Yes, the wrasse will be a problem.  The first time I had an aiptasia outbreak I used a dozen nudibranchs and they cleared it up in a few months.  But then a year later I had another outbreak, but this time I had a wrasse in the tank and it picked off the new nudibranchs I ordered pretty quickly.  I ended up getting a pair of peppermint shrimp from a local reefer so I knew the shrimp had a proven track record of eating aiptasia.  My tank is mixed SPS & LPS, and the shrimp have not damaged any of my corals, but they have done an excellent job keeping the aiptasia under control, even faster than the nudibranchs ever did.  I feed my fish LRS Reef Frenzy frozen food, and the shrimp will always grab a few bites each day, so I think that's partially why they don't bother the soft corals or LPS.

I’m also culturing some myself, but have had some delays in growing my culture. I am not certain when, but I should have some berghia coming available in a few weeks. 

My suspicion is that my adult berghia are outeating their young (as I am feeding manually), causing few of them to develop. 

6 hours ago, LadAShark said:

I’m also culturing some myself, but have had some delays in growing my culture. I am not certain when, but I should have some berghia coming available in a few weeks. 

My suspicion is that my adult berghia are outeating their young (as I am feeding manually), causing few of them to develop. 

Yeah, my daughter and I sure tried.  We had a heck of a time keeping them fed.  Hope you have a good aptasia supply, they are voracious!

10 minutes ago, TheClark said:

Yeah, my daughter and I sure tried.  We had a heck of a time keeping them fed.  Hope you have a good aptasia supply, they are voracious!

Yeah they are very voracious! They eat at a ridiculous rate. I have a ton of eggs but haven’t had any visible young yet.

The plan is to leave a bunch of eggs alone together with some aiptasia without any adults around for a few weeks and see what happens. Have heard that that’s what some breeders do.

Edited by LadAShark
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, LadAShark said:

Yeah they are very voracious! They eat at a ridiculous rate. I have a ton of eggs but haven’t had any visible young yet.

The plan is to leave a bunch of eggs alone together with some aiptasia without any adults around for a few weeks and see what happens. Have heard that that’s what some breeders do.

That's awesome, post pics of the cute/ugly little guys, looking forward to it.