Unbelievably Stable Alk with Trident / APEX / Calcium Reactor

TheClark

1 hour ago, TheClark said:

Using Trido's CR solenoid throttle program as described on R2R

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/calcium-reactor-control-by-neptune-trident.660576/

Hey Jeremy - I checked out the original thread and was wondering why two separate virtual outlets are required for this (in the original post)... couldn't one just make line two of the OSC be If Alk less then 9.03 then off?  Not sure why the need to have the separate and cross reference (unless, of course, the other virtual outlet is used elsewhere).  Probably just my Apex naivety showing 🙂.  Anyway, pretty cool - would love to see some pics of your setup since, if I was going to incorporate a Triton I would want to do it on top of a reactor install as well.

3 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Hey Jeremy - I checked out the original thread and was wondering why two separate virtual outlets are required for this (in the original post)... couldn't one just make line two of the OSC be If Alk less then 9.03 then off?  Not sure why the need to have the separate and cross reference (unless, of course, the other virtual outlet is used elsewhere).  Probably just my Apex naivety showing 🙂.  Anyway, pretty cool - would love to see some pics of your setup since, if I was going to incorporate a Triton I would want to do it on top of a reactor install as well.

His is a bit different than what I did, but I still had the inspiration from him.  I run the CR old school, using effluent PH to control the solenoid.  He just runs his on an OSC timer.

Here is my CR solenoid:

Fallback OFF
If Output CR_PH_LOW = ON Then OFF
If Output CR_PH_HIGH = ON Then ON
If Output ReturnPumpR = OFF Then OFF  # Feed Pump
If Output ALK_HIGH = OFF Then OFF

Here is the AlkHigh virtual outlet. 

Set ON
If Alkx2 > 8.53 Then OFF

To your point, It could be just a line in the CR Solenoid as well instead of a virtual outlet.

2 minutes ago, TheClark said:

His is a bit different than what I did, but I still had the inspiration from him.  I run the CR old school, using effluent PH to control the solenoid.  He just runs his on an OSC timer.

Here is my CR solenoid:

Fallback OFF
If Output CR_PH_LOW = ON Then OFF
If Output CR_PH_HIGH = ON Then ON
If Output ReturnPumpR = OFF Then OFF  # Feed Pump
If Output ALK_HIGH = OFF Then OFF

Here is the AlkHigh virtual outlet. 

Set ON
If Alkx2 > 8.53 Then OFF

To your point, It could be just a line in the CR Solenoid as well instead of a virtual outlet.

That looks pretty straight forward and would be easily adaptable... assuming I had an Apex and Trident of course.  Just thinking ahead...  Thanks!

1 hour ago, albertareef said:

That looks pretty straight forward and would be easily adaptable... assuming I had an Apex and Trident of course.  Just thinking ahead...  Thanks!

It absolutely is!  If I had more reagent funds, I would test more than every six hours, but this is sufficient for now.  I can say for sure, growth is phenomenal since getting the trident.  I unfortunately hate testing and it was holding me back...

• Like 3

It's ironic that back in December I couldn't find any 6-month reagent packs available, so I put myself on a couple waiting lists.  Then both came through at the same time and my orders were processed automatically so I ended up with two 6-month packs.  I've been testing at 8/4/4 for almost a year and will continue doing that since I have enough to last through August or September.  If supplies continue to be sparse I might start rationing at 4/2/2 testing.

• Like 1

Super awesome Jeremy, that’s amazing stability!

i just set up my trident for the first time last night. Kind of kicking myself, hope I can get more reagent soon as i only have the 2 month kit it comes with 😑 

@SuncrestReef and @TheClark how close are the reagent kits coming to meeting the specified monthly testing amounts at 4 per day option? 

Edited by Blue Z Reef
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blue Z Reef said:

Super awesome Jeremy, that’s amazing stability!

i just set up my trident for the first time last night. Kind of kicking myself, hope I can get more reagent soon as i only have the 2 month kit it comes with 😑 

@SuncrestReef and @TheClark how close are the reagent kits coming to meeting the specified monthly testing amounts at 4 per day option? 

Awesome, congrats!  You will love it.  I have not been watching close enough, but I believe they are exactly hitting the 2 months.  It tells me to change before A is completely empty.

28 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

It's ironic that back in December I couldn't find any 6-month reagent packs available, so I put myself on a couple waiting lists.  Then both came through at the same time and my orders were processed automatically so I ended up with two 6-month packs.  I've been testing at 8/4/4 for almost a year and will continue doing that since I have enough to last through August or September.  If supplies continue to be sparse I might start rationing at 4/2/2 testing.

I have gone and made myself dependent on the tests now to run my CR!  Better start looking now for my next six months...

• Like 2

This is a great example of the ALK_HIGH throttling the Reactor Solenoid.  The DKH was above my setpoint, notice the calcium reactor effluent raising for six hours while the reactor is effectively disabled.

Oh, and 0.1 variation over 4 days, still loving it!

image.png

• Like 2