Official TPA Acan Grow Out Competition Thread 2020

• 3 weeks later...

Well here is my photo for May, but I am out of the competition. After last months face dive mine took, it started to go down hill. It receded so much the skeleton started to poke out so I made the decision to move it to my main tank. It is recovered and I think I see a couple new heads. Good luck to everyone still in it!

E1FF9FB6-DCF0-4877-9BDD-CB79AAF39786.jpeg

So here is my update on my acans.

My previous 2 heads have filled out nicely and I now have 2 more growing! 9 total heads!

Love the colors on this guy!!!

I have 1 polyp which has been a little pissed this week....... not sure why especially since the other acans on the frag rack look great, but seems to be getting better. 

20200625_142023.jpg

20200625_141916.jpg

20200625_141923.jpg

OBrien Acan-A, Check-in: June 25:

I took a step back this month.  My previous mini-frag tank had Aptasia.  And they weren't coming with the corals into the new frag tanks.  So on June 12th, i snapped my frag off it's plug and transplanted it.   In the process, I cracked the skeleton.   So, attached is the June 12th picture (bright white plug) and today's photo.  No need to get too close, nor fancy.  

At the same time, I've determined my system is low on NO3.  So starting yesterday I'm on a an campaign to increase it.  Maybe next month my acan frag will show some grown... 

June 12th New Frag Plug

IMG_6798.jpg

June 25th photos 

IMG_7091.jpg

IMG_7092.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I hate to say it folks, but this is the last month of the grow out...

I also regret to inform my Acan looks like poo. I will send some terrible cell phone shots but ultimately I went from 2.5 polyps to 5 sickly looking heads.

Needles to say that after the competition I will be moving these corals out and into a different system... That is unless Coral reefTankers and Snappy will divulge his secrets to success.

Polish_20200727_184223731.jpg

Polish_20200727_184115582.jpg

OBrien Acan-A, Check-in: July 28:

Well, I've got the algae uglies going.  You'll never guess what started them... 

(The last paragraph of my June update:  At the same time, I've determined my system is low on NO3.  So starting yesterday I'm on a an campaign to increase it.  Maybe next month my acan frag will show some grown... )  --> I've been slightly raising NO3 and PO4.  I thought I was going slow enough...

IMG_7474.jpg