RO/di help

bigfish

I’m looking to buy a system for $150 or less. Does anyone has any experience with or recommendations for cheaper system? Thanks everyone. 

Well $150 isn't too far away from a really quality unit. I'll be honest, it's easy to go cheap on these things, but it's literally a piece of equipment that you'll use your entire time in the hobby. Buy a reliable unit and you'll save yourself a ton of money in the long run. Go cheap and you'll be spending more later as well as dealing with leaks, poor customer service, etc.  

For $200, you can get the Typhoon III from Air, Water, and Ice. They're a sponsor of our club, have solid customer service, and the online reviews speak for themselves. Heck, you might even be able to contact them and tell them you're a member of PNWMAS and get yourself a little extra discount. It's what I have and that thing if built rock solid and hasn't had a single issue in the 4+ years I've had it.

Much like all quality equipment, you will never ever regret getting something reliable. However, going cheap is a shot in the dark at best.

Sorry that doesn't answer your immediate question, but figured I'd drop that thought in your head. Even if it means skipping out on coral purchases for a little bit, it's a wise decision to invest a little more.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

First, having a meter is worth it to know the quality for the water being produced, when to replace the membrane, when the RO b as feel needs cleaning, etc. Find a handheld TDS meter, you'll be glad you have it.
Then, following the other advice here (along with mine), but a unit that isn't cheap, but is "missing" pieces.
If you can get a no-frills RO-only and a handheld TDS meter, you can upgrade it later when a dual on-line TDS meter, DI cartridge, booster pump, pressure gauge, whatever.

I wouldn't buy cheap with all the pieces, I'd buy nice with missing pieces so you can upgrade later without being stuck with a cheap unit

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

We could all argue what to get, Ive been down the piece meal route. What I can tell you about my hodgepodge system is it works great, pumps out 0 tds with minimal DI resin use, and is easy to use.

That said, it took me many years to get to this point. It looks SUPER STUPID, but it’s all there! Things that I wish I had earlier on are:

1. Pressure gauge

2. triple inline TDS meter

3. good quality membrane (of those I’ve used, Spectrapure spectraselect plus 99% has been my favorite)

https://www.aquacave.com/spectrapure-spectraselect-plus-99-percent-rejection-90-gpd-ro-membrane-mem-sp-0090.html

I would recommend if this is your first unit to purchase one put together for reefing. Some of the issues I had early on were just due to getting minor parts wrong like the flow restrictor improperly sized with the initial package. When you don’t fully understand how they work you may not think much of how much resin you blow through or why your output is lower than expected.

I would shoot for a unit with 2 pre filters, membrane, and a DI. You can expand from there in the future. Getting the inline triple TDS meter helps you see what’s going on at each stage. I have one on the inlet, one after the membrane, and one after the resin. As others have said, knowing your personal tap waters TDS can help you know if you need different filters or additional add ons. I lived in NE Vancouver with 120 TDS and now in Camas at <60 TDS. Some areas of Portland have only like 5 TDS from the rap. Others probably higher. All can warrant different unit selection.

hand held TDS meters are usually <$15 online and will give you a better idea where to start.

Edited by Blue Z Reef
  • Like 2

I have three good handheldTDS meters you can have one of you want one! I'm obsessively checking mine lol. I'd have to agree with buying a good RODI, you can get a good one in your price range and an even better one for a bit more

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Which type of connecter do you think I’d need for this? 
0A52B23F-6ABE-4759-9EF8-61D822AEE53D.thumb.jpeg.a423711d2d74e5a42cb30321ef22fb15.jpeg
Not certain. I imagine the sink faucet adapter would be what you want. However, you can also get that adapter at Home Depot or similar. You can tell them you want a connection from your sink to a John Guest fitting. You might be able to see them in person and know for sure.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...