Got a diseased fish in your tank?

EMeyer

Hi everyone,

In the upcoming round of analysis I will be including a couple extensions to the service, one of which is detection of non-bacterial fish fish pathogens. The technology is straightforward, but samples are needed to demonstrate it. I have a whole lot of fish without any signs of disease. What I'm short on is diseased fish. 

So I'm reaching out to ask, does anyone have a diseased fish? 

This is gonna go a little different than the broad survey I did for the microbiome. Here, I will be making house calls. I'll sample the fish and the water to confirm that it can be detected in the water. If you are interested in donating a sample, here is what is needed for it to be useful: 

1. Visible symptoms that can be photographed (better you photograph them than me, because my photo skills kind of suck, but I will take the pic if needed)
  2. You can catch the fish for a non-invasive sampling of the pathogen (a quick swab on the infected area). 
  3. You are located somewhere not too far from me.. ideally between Eugene and Salem. 

Note that if your fish has just died (lets say within the last 12 hours) this will probably satisfy conditions 1 and 2. 

I would like to visit a few sick fish early next week so if anyone wants a DNA-sequencing based diagnosis of your sick fish, please get in touch asap. Thanks!

-Eli

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuncrestReef said:

Did you cryogenically freeze it so if a cure for velvet is discovered in the future you can bring it back to life?  🤣🤣🤣

Haha....no, I actually froze it in case Eli decided to do this testing. We had been talking about it in the past, so I thought I would save the bodies and see if he could use them for his project.

• Like 1