Is this brown hair algae?

Trailermann

This stringy stuff is most prevalent right below the Hydra 52.  It brushes and blows off easily, then the tank is relatively clear for a couple of days.  It does not match the on line images I searched for.  (Fully cycled 20 gallon coral quarantine tank two months old.)

What ever it is, should I be worried and do anything other than brushing it off and letting time take its course?

DSC_0214.jpg

I'm no expert, but it looks like dinos to me. PITA for sure, if it is.
When I had dinos, I've always noticed my nitrates to be extremely low. Then, I would add nitrates to the tank so algae would out-compete the dinos. I'd rather have algae than dinos. I've heard of people restarting their tanks bcuz of them. Again, only if they are in fact, dinos.

Carry on...

Sent from Atlantis 🤙

Why is it so difficult to ID nuisance algae?  

No disrespect for you guys, but even on R2R when aquarists post photos, the answers are rarely clear.  When I Google images of dino, cyano, and brown hair algae, none of the results look like my stringy filiments.

3 hours ago, Trailermann said:

Why is it so difficult to ID nuisance algae?  

No disrespect for you guys, but even on R2R when aquarists post photos, the answers are rarely clear.  When I Google images of dino, cyano, and brown hair algae, none of the results look like my stringy filiments.

Because every tank, flow, nutrients, lighting, camera used are different for everyone so the same algae can look ten different ways in ten different tanks. 

Looks like cyno, do a blackout for 2-3 days and should clear up. 

I called cyano because of the stringiness you claimed and the bubbles, the bubbles are often a tell tail sign.

FWIW, in my experience cyano shows up when there is an imbalance in the ratio of phosphates and nitrates.

This would also make sense in a newer tank as things... (bacteria) numbers tend to swing widely for a bit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Test your nitrate, if it’s zero then that’s most likely cyano. Especially with the oxygen bubbles in it.

Fun fact, cyano is actually not an algae, but a photosynthetic bacteria. These guys are also thought to be responsible for the early oxygenation of our atmosphere.

Edited by xmas_one
  • Like 2