Skinning Wire Shelves

Piero

Curious if anyone has any ideas re: skinning/ adding a facade to industrial wire shelving...a la Uline. I'm leaning towards laser cut panels of something with magnets. Priority one is a seamless facade with zero light bleed... thoughts? Beuller?.......Beuller? 😛

Derp...forgot the link: sry, here's an example: https://www.uline.com/BL_3878/Chrome-Wire-Shelving

Edited by Piero

Hey, Curious George...just answer the question! Jesus christ...😜

I'm considering turning my small downtown studio into a lab first (ReefLabs 2.0 brah!), and I can sleep on the couch or a hammock. But I would like to avoid the 'sweaty-wife-beater, salt-creep/wires everywhere' stigma of yore... when I'm entertaining guests who might be less than accustomed to mad marine scientists...

Basically what i said, how to make industrial wire shelving slick looking...I'm planning on stacking tanks.
🤔

• Haha 2

Sry Clark, hopefully the tongue-in-cheek translated effectively with my emojis. 😛
I used these industrial wire racks for closet-reefin' in the past, but currently I have no way to conceal them elegantly...so I'm examining ways to make them as inconspicuous as possible. Curious if anyone has tried this in the past, or if I'm missing a good solution beyond magnets and maybe Corian custom panels. Honestly, the more DIY, the better. 

Edited by Piero

it would be easy to cover the rack parts.  Simply buying melamine counter tops with the front lip on them and placing them on the  racks would do it.  But covering the sides and the posts themselves... Really difficult.  I like Clarks Idea of just building some shelving units.  

You could always use the wire shelves as is and then run all the wires through wire comb or pvc.

• Thanks 1

there was a lady on YouTube that obviously doesnt have a job or a boyfriend that covered her wire shelves with foam board and self adhesive drawer liner.

it looked really nice and I think in and around a saltwater aquarium it would last about...hmmmm 2 days?

I still vote for glitter...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

How about using sheets of black acrylic and a hot glue gun?  Can't get much more DIY than that.  With hot glue you can easily work around irregular shapes and rounded corners by just building up layers of the glue before attaching the outer sheathing. Then you can finish it off with @pdxmonkeyboy's glitter idea.  #teamwork.

Edited by SuncrestReef