Jump to content

ATO Stayed on last night


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, SuncrestReef said:

I like that the Neptune ATK has an optical sensor, mechanical float valve, and a timer to limit pump run time if the other sensors fail.  Three levels of protection against this issue, and an immediate email/text alert if the timer is exceeded.

Only thing the atk didn’t have is a human error failsafe from me accidentally turning it to the on possistion! 😂 never again!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, lewisriverfisherman said:

Tune nano

 

Interesting, Well i hate to say it but regardless of the methods we use there's always a chance for failure. Glad it was only a .02 drop and not worse.

Did you by chance investigate as to why it may have stuck? Does the glass need to be cleaned, and doesn't the Tunzee have a secondary backup of stopping after "X" amount of minutes or Seconds or an alarm that sounds and shuts it off when hitting a particular level?

Just realized the 3152 is a single float switch, though on the powerline there is a box that has a jumper in there that can be used to set the length of time before it shuts itself off. I was thinking of the Optical Tunze that has that annoying alarm

 

Edited by Exodus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Exodus said:

Interesting, Well i hate to say it but regardless of the methods we use there's always a chance for failure. Glad it was only a .02 drop and not worse.

Did you by chance investigate as to why it may have stuck? Does the glass need to be cleaned, and doesn't the Tunzee have a secondary backup of stopping after "X" amount of minutes or Seconds or an alarm that sounds and shuts it off when hitting a particular level?

 

 

It should have cut off........and no alarm with the tunze. I use one also on a nano tank and well it works but still not great. I had another one that messed up the same way......just kept filling but did trip the alarm after so long and cut power to the pump......

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, spectra said:

 

It should have cut off........and no alarm with the tunze. I use one also on a nano tank and well it works but still not great. I had another one that messed up the same way......just kept filling but did trip the alarm after so long and cut power to the pump......

I was just looking into the specs of what I assume he was talking about and edited my post while you quoted me :) Thanks for the heads  up though! I was thinking of Tunze 3155

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Exodus said:

I was just looking into the specs of what I assume he was talking about and edited my post while you quoted me :) Thanks for the heads  up though! I was thinking of Tunze 3155

 

Yeah nano version has no alarm and just a float switch.......I like the switch compared to what I had in the other ATO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, spectra said:

 

Yeah nano version has no alarm and just a float switch.......I like the switch compared to what I had in the other ATO.

I'm with you scott, I personally like Float switches myself. Though LewisriverFisherman's ATO obviously had some sort of hickup, and we all know Tunze is a solid product with great customer support, so was hoping he had diagnosed the issue so it could possibly corrected to prevent future failures, instead of having to go buy something new.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only time I have had a problem with any of my float switch style ATOs(tunze/jbj) is when they get dirty. Either from a micro serpent star getting in there to eat the funk or from the funk building up preventing smooth operation of the float. 

Just clean them routinely (2-3 months) and they work great. 

The built in safety feature of the tunze nano ATO (1.5-3min ato shutoff) has saved my bacon plenty of times. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am with you guys.  Floats fail, so sad when it happens.

I run three double floats, so a total of six.  Two never see water unless the return pump is off.  Three floats also has the bonus of automating water changes with APEX, I do that as well.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chewie said:

The built in safety feature of the tunze nano ATO (1.5-3min ato shutoff) has saved my bacon plenty of times.  

Thank you for clarifying the specifics, I'm wondering if his ATO reservoir was simply drained by the pump in less than 3 minutes. A good solution might be to swap to an aqua lifter or peristaltic pump if that were the case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Exodus said:

Thank you for clarifying the specifics, I'm wondering if his ATO reservoir was simply drained by the pump in less than 3 minutes. A good solution might be to swap to an aqua lifter or peristaltic pump if that were the case.

Ya, slow pumps are nice for ATO, its never something you want to do in a hurry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You probably won't see any ramifications from a .002 change. I think that was pretty common in the hobby back before auto top offs (ya I've been in this that long). I used to dump 3g of water into my tank every other day or so. 

This is exactly why my reservoir tank is not plumbed directly to my RODI via float switch. That woulda been bad. Seen some great tanks die from that. 

Good luck to you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...