1. 1.

• A.
    • B.
    • C.
    • D.
    • E.
    • F.
    • G.

man after this move, I would love to put something together...cause no offense, but I am not to thrilled on any of those...I know people put some work into them and that deserves credit, but I think they can be much better...Like others said, the one we have is better...I know that this is time sensitive, but this is not something I think that should be rushed...If for some reason, we get some more time, let it be known, so others can try...

Here is something I put together in like 10 mins...just to show that I think a more complex and cooler looking logo can be achieved with some time...Please know that I am not saying this is the one...I just chose a random color and just a quick stroke and drop shadow stuff...just thought I would incorporate the reflection of the logo in the water, cause it has to do with the ocean, and that is what our hobby is all about...

so I guess if more time is a lotted, then I will try to put something together...based on what people would like to see incorporated into it...Or maybe this is not even along any sort of line that people like...

PNWMASlogo2.jpg

That looks nice.

I have always liked the logo over here at http://www.3reef.com/

3reef.com was there for me when I started the hobby. Good people over there.....but you guys are local to me and I also enjoy this site. : P

That is a nice logo because of the sunlight moving...but i know this logo is going to on all t-shirts, cards, banners, etc...and it would be pretty tough to have the type of logo would be bad a$$, but tough :)

I like *F* the most outta the choices that are to be voted on.

However I didn't vote for any of them.......... I like reefgeeks the most!

As geek said thanks to all the hard work people put in but I think it should be something different as well.

Ok... I know I'm lame because I didn't actually spend any time trying to contribute a piece but.... I am with Geek and Michael on this. I don't know that any of these capture the club ideally. Perhaps, if Brandon were willing and he could be given a little more time, we could get some additional options??? No disrespect meant to those that contributed...

I like *F* the most outta the choices that are to be voted on.

However I didn't vote for any of them.......... I like reefgeeks the most!

As geek said thanks to all the hard work people put in but I think it should be something different as well.

Thank you for the compliment on mine...like I said, it was super quick in making it, so with some more time (after this weekend... I am moving) I can do some more and spend some good time on it to get a better one done...but I guess we will need to see if we have more time....

Ok... I know I'm lame because I didn't actually spend any time trying to contribute a piece but.... I am with Geek and Michael on this. I don't know that any of these capture the club ideally. Perhaps' date=' if Brandon were willing and he could be given a little more time, we could get some additional options??? No disrespect meant to those that contributed...[/quote']

I am very willing to try and get one together or a couple of options...if more time is given please let me know asap...as I can be gaining information from everyone on the board to see what they think should be in there...

Time is in short supply. This was started in August. Like some of you have said it only took you a matter of minutes to come up with a idea. We want to be able to come up with something that will look good on t-shirts,mugs etc... and nothing was ever brought to the "table" until now.

Time is in short supply. This was started in August. Like some of you have said it only took you a matter of minutes to come up with a idea. We want to be able to come up with something that will look good on t-shirts' date='mugs etc... and nothing was ever brought to the "table" until now.[/quote']

Life gets in the way...if you want to use the ones that people entered, then that is your call...but no one seems very thrilled with them, so to spend a bunch of money to make stuff that no one is in love with seems super counter productive..Not trying to stir the pot here... So it is up to the people in the higher power to decide what happens next...I am always super busy and work pays my bills, so the club takes a back burner with stuff like this...but I should have some time after the weekend...

again, if more time is given, please make it known...

Critiquing isn't a new thing to me, so I appreciate everyone's honesty about the attempts. In fact, I usually prefer hearing from clients what they don't like than simply hearing "That's good" and moving on. I often find comments from clients help push the logo in directions that were unexpected and they evolve into something great instead of good.

The logos I submitted were stabs in the dark, because there wasn't time to go through the formal steps of asking just what they logo should "say" to our audience. I was surprised by the deadline move as much as many others were, but it happens.

I don't know what the timeline is for getting things printed on t-shirts and so on, but if there is time for another quick round, I'd be willing to give it another shot based off some constructive criticism.

If there are ideas people have about what they'd actually like the logo to represent, that'd help. Though I have been reading comments about the current banner, and I think Brandy tried to head that up by saying there's a difference between a banner and a logo. A logo needs to be recognizable in very small form in some cases. The banner has too much in it to show as more than a rectangular blog once it's shrunk down.

I realize there's a lot represent in this hobby, which makes it difficult to impossible to get everything across in one simple graphic. I went through a few sketches of my own to at least incorporate a coral and a fish, but didn't have time to get those vectorized into something I was happy with, so I ended up with one fish and some text.

I tried to put the speech bubble in B. to represent the fact that pnwmas.org is a large forum where people can chat about the hobby. But it didn't work as well as expected in this attempt. Specifics when it comes to telling me what you're after are much more helpful than, "I don't like it". What don't you like? The fish? The text? The way the text is shaped? Would you like a different fish? No fish? A coral instead? Etc... I heard one comment at the beach cleanup that clown fish were a definite no, because they're over used. So I tried to use a fish I haven't seen used anywhere else in a logo.

I'm open to other ideas if there are any.

Personally, I'd hope that some sort of imagery would be incorporated into the logo.

I hope you can take the following critique as constructive and not offensive reefgeek, but what you have here doesn't say much more than we like water. I like the font you've got, it's simple, and the shading adds some interest to it, but there needs to be more around it that tells the audience what we're about. Whether the imagery is abstract, photo graphic or cartoonish, it needs more.

You read my mind Rspring!!!! :D You thought outside of the "norm". I like the puffer fish. I was thinking it would look classy on a pocket T, Shirt colors like navy blue,hunter green, dark red,black etc.... would be great. That way we could offer choices. I say keep it simple. Tangs and clownfish are over used. There are so many other fish....

rspring - all excellent points and yes, it is extremely hard to design for a) diverse user group and b) without any ongoing feedback, so cudos to you for taking a crack at it. As far as personal tastes go (since this is largely subjective) I do prefer the less "cartoonish" images and also agree that clownfish are somewhat overused (albeit really cute and easily identifiable) so therefore lean toward the logo with the rabbitfish (although I haven't voted). Simple can be good, however, given the fact that PNWMAS isn't an obvious acronym, I can see value to some form of additional text spelling it out (perhaps in a smaller font than the PNWMAS.org). It would be nice to at least include a fish and coral to try and reflect a little more of the diversity of the hobby - I think this is probably where much of the attachement to the banner comes from (and I like that a lot myself). Just my 2-cents. If I had any actual current skills in this area I would take a crack at it but I don't have the time to relearn Illustrator right now. Good luck and thanks again for working at it.

given the fact that PNWMAS isn't an obvious acronym' date=' I can see value to some form of additional text spelling [/quote']

its not like it reads like a word LOL! I agree spelling it out would be helpful, but to me its pretty obvious its an acronym. Maybe just the Marine Aquarium Society part or something.

I dont like the cartoony aspect much either. I think (kind like my logo) something rendered from a fish, but not cartoony is best. it can be used small, large, and in many context because its simple yet defined (the lines). (Im talking about just my regal angel logo)

Anyway, I think there are plenty of talented people in this club, and given the right amount of time and motivation they can come up with something better.

I will offer this, if admins decide to extend the "due date", I will offer a $25 gift card to the winner of the vote. Its not much, but it might help encourage people to spend some time on it.

The logo contest has been open for 2 months and 5 days. How much longer does it need to be opened? We wanted the merchandise to be available for Christmas. Originally we wanted to have some samples available at the October Meeting, but we did not have any submissions. After almost 2 months of no response, rspring was nice enough to give us some choices. Mine were meant to be examples, but ended up being entries due to the lack of involvement. The board was pushing to get the logo design completed so we could get the ball rolling. The back of the T-shirts will have the banner with the clubs full name on it. I personally feel we have put enough time into this, but it is not my decision. I work 60 hours a week and am involved in several community organizations, yet I had the time to put 2 logos together. I might add that I suck at photoshop, so it took me quite a long time to get them done.

Just my .02

Jay

Understandable Jay. I cant make meetings any more, so I didnt even know there was a contest (although I wouldnt have entered anyway)

An idea? Maybe you get some stores to sponsor there logos on the front, and put the club banner on the back?

Just a though.

I agree there was plenty of time even with the changed deadline, but it was just bad timing in my case. I had other jobs I had to put on hold as well. IMO - Joel's logo for WAVES is an excellent example of a good logo. The graphic design work for WAVES in general is really good. The syle of logo I had in mind would have been similar. If that is not the style that most of the members are into then I probably woudn't have designed one that anyone liked either.