450 Gallon Reef, 855 Gallon System

oxx155

• 2 months later...
Yeah I saw that light setup last week and its definitely a trick setup :)

How big of a air pump is that for the Orca skimmer Doug?

Its a Coralife Super Luft Air Pump. 2.3cfm, 3.9psi

I found it pumped too much air.

So, I plumbed a line outside (so that both protein skimmers get fresh air) and now run an elaborate tube system so that all intakes get fresh outdoor air.

My ORP went up from 280 to around 380-400 solid and I find the protein skimmers are both working better (even though I still have an issue with my Orca not pulling as much as it should).

I will probably put up the air pump for sale in the near future, unless someone contacts me first. Probably $50 (barely used).

Made some equipment adjustments recently

The probes were getting a lot of gunk on them being located in the overflow drain lines, so I purchased a hang-on refugium and it seems to be working great.

oxxreef174.jpg

Purchased new 6-stage RODI units from BRS, both with meters on them.

oxxreef170.jpg

Cleaned up my Calcium reactor and added new media from BRS

oxxreef168.jpg

Purchased 2 BRS jumbo reactor units (plumbed together), one runs Carbon (BRS Rox 0.8) and the other runs GFO (BRS high capacity phosphate remover)

jumbo-BRS-reactor.jpg

oxxreef165.jpg

Don't know quite what this is

oxxreef158.jpg

Showed up about 2 months ago and has been growing ever since.

I also found a Black Sponge growing between some rock and coral, I have no idea where it came from.

oxxreef167.jpg

I also received the large Tang from Liquid Sunshine before they closed, he is about 8" long I think.

oxxreef172.jpg

Pic of a crab

oxxreef193.jpg

My main birdsnest colony (I have about 5 birdsnests') is about 12" x 12" now and over growing everything around it, LOL

oxxreef179.jpg

I also recently received a nice Rose Bulb Anenome from Liquid Sunshine and my tomato clown swims from one end of the tank to the other defending the RBA and Carpet from all other clown fish.

oxxreef197.jpg

Updated fish list (main tank):

6 - Yellow Tangs

Desjardini Tang

Sailfin Tang

Blue Tang

Purple Tang

Naso Tang

6 - Blue Green Chromis

Blue Black Chromis

4 - Purple Chromis

3 - Firefish

Yellow Banana Wrasse

Mystery Wrasse

6-Line Wrasse

Red Coris Wrasse

Coral Beauty Angel

Flame Angel

3 - Sailfin Algae Blenny

4 - Scooter Blenny (1 red)

2 - Percula Clownfish (mated pair)

Tomato Clownfish

Magnificent Foxface (red spine)

3 - Pajama Cardinals

Copperband Butterfly

Green Mandarin Dragonet

Spotted Mandarin Dragonet

6 - Various Goby/Shrimp combos (mated Yellow Gobies, Dracula Goby, Striped Goby, Prawn Goby, Watchman Goby, Shrimp Goby)

Inverts (main tank):

4 - Cleaner Shrimp

Lots - Scarlet Reef Hermits

Lots - Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits

Lots - Cerith Snails (they breed like no other)

Lots - Turbo Snails

Lots - Nassarius Snails

4 - Fighting Conchs

2 - Spider Conchs

2 - Tiger Tail Cucumbers

Blue Velvet Nudibranch

Coral Banded Shrimp

6-9 - Pistol Shrimps

Emerald Crabs

2 - Carpet Anenomes

Rose Bulb Anenome

Lots - Clams

Black Sponge

Updated Fish List (Secondary Tank):

Porcupine Puffer

5 - Black White Clownfish

Blue Green Chromis (joined the clownfish group)

Unidentified Large Tang

Goby/Shrimp combo

Inverts (Secondary Tank):

2 - Cleaner Shrimp

Lots - Turbo Snails

Lots - Cerith Snails

Lots - Scarlet Reef Hermits

Lots - Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits

2 - Fighting Conchs

Pistol Shrimp

Bulb Anenome

I saw you posted about a black sponge that "just showed up". Not sure if all are the same, but I had a few yellow ones (as well as blue, white, purple) just show up-Thought they were neat until I noticed it wiped out one side of a chalice I have-chalice is recovering, sponges get eradicated now-(enforcer)

Nice set up by the way, if I had not said so in the past!

Hey oxx155' date=' I'm new here but would like to attend the meeting and check out your set-up.[/quote']

Everyone is welcome to the meeting! Even if you are a lurker you should take the opportunity to come see the tank and probably walk away with a coral or piece of equipment (if I can get the donations).

Hope to see you then!

I saw you posted about a black sponge that "just showed up". Not sure if all are the same, but I had a few yellow ones (as well as blue, white, purple) just show up-Thought they were neat until I noticed it wiped out one side of a chalice I have-chalice is recovering, sponges get eradicated now-(enforcer)

Nice set up by the way, if I had not said so in the past!

Its located under a Pavona coral. It doesn't seem to be doing any damage, but I can't get a good view to see how big it is or if its going anywhere else, so far I can just see a body and a water valve coming out.

I tend to leave things alone in my tank because I find I make things worse when I over-react and try to "fix" things. From years of experience I think things tend to "fix" themselves when left alone. I have a few Acropora that almost completely died but are now making recoveries.

"Lurkers" are people too. How do I get directions?

Send a PM to the President of the club and give them your email address. They will put you on the e-vite list and every month you will recieve an invitation to the monthly meeting, with all the needed information.

Thats a really nice tank. Do you reall have 6 tangs in that tang' date=' How do you keep them all from getting ich I had one and she got it twice.[/quote']

I have 11 Tangs! ahhhhhhhh - Tang Police, LOL

They do occasionally bicker with each other, but as long as I have plenty of seaweed in there and feed Rod's Food often they stay very happy and healthy. All of them have pretty fat bellys.

I have never had ich, I assume its because I have U.V. and try to keep stress levels down by giving plenty of room for everyone and feed well.

Mostly I would say I am pretty lucky.