450 Gallon Reef, 855 Gallon System

oxx155

I bought a new tank specifically for filtration.

48"x24"x18" - 90 Gallons (20 gallons bigger than the one I have currently).

The biggest reason for this is because it comes with filtration trays where I can put my carbon, phosphate, and other filtering pads. The water is directed right onto these and filters straight down. Below the trays (and in the rest of the tank) I will have about 100 pounds of live rock. The tank comes with three trays.

This will bring up the total system volume to 900+ Gallons.

Another change - I have switched all of my salt over to Instant Ocean. I was happy with my previous salt (no name brand), but I have heard so many good things about Instant Ocean (and its the same price as the other stuff) that I decided to switch over. I will probably start using it next month.

oxxreef118.jpg

oxxreef117.jpg

oxxreef116.jpg

The tank also has a bulkhead for my overflow drain. Since this tank will be the lowest point of the entire system I will plumb a line to my storm drain so that the system can't overflow ever again, it justs drains out. Anyway, this isn't exactly good for the system (no overflow is) but it does provide peace of mind that at least I will not have to mop up the floor while trying to figure out what went wrong.

More updated pics of my tank.

Things are growing real well and I have added a few clams here or there, but not much else.

Full tank shot

oxxreef127.jpg

Finally got a pic of one of my acropora crabs

oxxreef133.jpg

Brain I got a few weeks ago

oxxreef122.jpg

Anemone is getting pretty big

oxxreef119.jpg

oxxreef120.jpg

oxxreef121.jpg

oxxreef123.jpg

oxxreef124.jpg

oxxreef125.jpg

oxxreef126.jpg

I like the sump, I'm looking building one for my prop tanks or using one of the big tubs. I could build some trays over it also, I use a small tray now with just blue filter pad.

I've used IO for a few years now and am very happy with it i have been paying 40 for a 5 gal bucket here local. Upscales was out last time I was in so I ordered a box (200g mix) for 46.00. I actually made a mistake, when it arrived it was "Instant Ocean--Reef crystals" which I guess is better. When I went back on the site the IO was even less, I bought a few other things and shipping was only about $10 total

WOW! What a difference? I am really liking the progression of the tank. The new bulbs/configuration give it a nice white/blue color and your coral colors are starting to pop. Good stuff. I like the new sump aswell!

Garrett

Thanks. I do like the new bulbs quite a bit and everything seems to be very happy.

I wish I could learn this camera better because it definitely does not do the colors justice. The tank just looks amazing, I will have to keep playing with the camera.

I like the sump, I'm looking building one for my prop tanks or using one of the big tubs. I could build some trays over it also, I use a small tray now with just blue filter pad.

I've used IO for a few years now and am very happy with it i have been paying 40 for a 5 gal bucket here local. Upscales was out last time I was in so I ordered a box (200g mix) for 46.00. I actually made a mistake, when it arrived it was "Instant Ocean--Reef crystals" which I guess is better. When I went back on the site the IO was even less, I bought a few other things and shipping was only about $10 total

I have heard mixed reviews about regular IO vs. crystals. I have heard more good things about regular IO though, so I am sticking with that. I am sure by the new year I will have a review to post about it (good or bad).

You can't beat the price out right now though. I don't know if its the economy or if they are trying to drive out competition, but Instant Ocean seems to be the best price everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Two unfortunate things happened lately to the tank

1. I found an outright infestation (dozens) of Nudibranchs in my tank pretty much surrounding my Green Star Polyps. For a day or two I thought something was up with the tank and the polyps had just turned white, but then realized they were moving onto other rocks and looked up on the internet what it could be. I am 90% sure they are Berghia Nudibranchs (from looking at pictures) and I have read they can be good, but in 2 days they munched down a large area of GSP. I sucked them all out (at least the ones I could find) and threw them in my refugium for the time being (to clear up some aiptasia).

2. Yesterday my Pink Birdnest Coral was looking fine and I was amazed at the growth. This morning I find almost the entire thing white and a large crab in the middle of it picking at the remaining polyps! This is one of the crabs I have recently purchased as "Acropora Crabs" which are supposed to be good for the corals. I pulled the crab out and threw him in the refugium (my refugium is becoming pergatorium for the bad animals).

So, I am now out a nice Pink Birdsnest and Green Star Polyps colony. I will replace them, but learned some good lessons this week.

Always keep an eye on your tank daily if you can (if not multiple times a day), the sooner you can catch a problem the better off your tank will be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
what is that really blue acro in that last pic?

its so sweet! i'd love some of that

Couldn't tell you for sure, I am horrible with names of corals, I know it as an acropora, LOL.

Sorry

When it grows out I am sure I will have frags for the club to give away.

I might sell frags at some point, but it will be rare if it happens.

But, keep up with this thread, if I am going to start fragging I will mention it here.

I most likely will have some real nice Metallic Green Birdsnest to frag first, its growing the fastest (or maybe some Pink Zooanthids).

like in the last one it looks wierd...how did you take that pic?

oxxreef140.jpg

I have a Panorama feature on my camera, it takes three pics and automatically stitches them together. Its the easiest way to take a full tank shot. I am going to try this weekend to take some more pics and make a better full tank shot.

• 2 months later...

Tank is going well, I am making a couple of changes to make things just a little better and more automated.

I added a Dart Gold pump w/ Venturi to feed both of my protein skimmers. The skimmers now pull so much crap that I have to clean them out every 3-4 days or so.

oxxreef155.jpg

oxxreef154.jpg

I also added an air pump to the Reeflo Orca Skimmer and it kicks butt.

oxxreef153.jpg

I purchased a Neptune Apex. I really wanted the continuous monitoring, access from my Iphone, and full control over everything about my aquarium (lighting, pumps, calcium reactor, etc.)

oxxreef152.jpg

I finally got my probes in the overflow pipe and everything is hooked up to the Apex for monitoring. I have PH, Temp, Conductivity, and soon ORP.

oxxreef151.jpg

I don't currently like the light-spread I am getting over my tank, so I decided to build a whole new lighting setup that should provide the max spread and reflection of light. I will be running 5 - 250w 14k Pheonix MH's, 6 - 24" T5 Giesemann Midday Lamps, 6 - 24" T5 Giesemann Actinic+ Lamps, and 6 - 48" Giesemann Actinic+ Lamps.

I have always liked running MH's and Fluorescents together, but I usually start and end the Fluorescents before the MH's for a dawn/dusk effect.

I also am adding a 5 Moonlight LunarDimmer that is run by the Apex to mimic the phases of the moon.

oxxreef150.jpg

oxxreef149.jpg

oxxreef148.jpg

Tank shots to come later.