September 2017 ATA Meeting Pics

badxgillen

Sorry about the delay in the post, just got my son moved into his dorm and got to spend yesterday having lunch, packing some of his things, and hanging out. Right after seeing him off, and eating dinner, I got to starting this thread.

As you all know, or now will know, the September meeting at All Things Aquarium was a Hoot! The place was loaded with SPS, LPS, and softy corals not to mention fish of all sorts.

SAM_3177.JPG

Everything was nice and clean, several of the tanks looked amazing!

SAM_3067.JPG

spot on. Look at this frag forest! I missed out on a red/orange centered green yuma, we left a little early and I completely forgot to snag one! Bummed, guess I better sneak back to ATA.

SAM_3044.JPG

In between the store and the adjacent building there is a very nice courtyard area that facilitates gatherings like this splendidly.

SAM_3116.JPG

You might be able to see in the background there, Zoolander lent his skills to the grill and did a great job, thanks a ton man.

SAM_3085.JPG

And speaking of the grill man, here he is on the left, thinking ahead of time with those shades, it was such a beautiful day. And speaking of generous guys, Bicycle Bill here on the right came in handing out coral frags like it was trick or treat candy...He is such a nice person, generous with the corals and good advice, Bill is one of the good ones.

SAM_3034.JPG

Here is another of the good old boys. The main man at the ATA store, Erin. He opened up his store for all of us to come in and have our meeting, BBQ, and raffle at. He has a wealth of knowledge and seems to have a knack for the aquatics, I know I will be back to pick his brain and aquariums sooner than later. Thank you my friend.

SAM_3028.JPG

Two of our awesome sponsors here in one shot, Stylaster left and Mr Bret on the right. Both have contributed quite a bit of their time over the years both off and on the BOD and office, Cheers to you two...And Thanks a ton for the frags Roy, I will return the favor.

SAM_3033.JPG

Highschool Reefer, eyeballing the store goods no doubt. I forgot to mention I had a few things I could throw you for your new tank setup and a few pointers on keeping macro algae trimmed back. Maybe I will see you next month though.

SAM_3090.JPG

Jfry here. This guy is in my line of work, aquatics maintenance, and I love talking about others setups and tanks with this guy. He has some good stories and is getting seasoned thats for sure. You all know you have to come up with a lot of different solutions to strange problems in the reefing world.

SAM_3112.JPG

Kai made it out to another meet, very nice guy. Hope that zoanthid pack you won is doing well, there were some lookers in there, blues, reds, and a little yellow. Should ease into the new tank just fine.

SAM_3110.JPG

Gill&Fin center and DJ right. I meant to ask you on some QT questions Holly. Maybe I can still get some info out of you and see if you get file fish in frequently? And sorry I did not have time to swing by DJ, believe me I have plans on it in the near future.

SAM_3115.JPG

Youcallmenny on the left and Albertareef on the right. With the good people that will give you a hand with the move you should be just fine getting into your new place, sounded like you have it pretty well planned out now. 

SAM_3123.JPG

Reefer Madness left and Daniel right. Daniel makes the Reefi lighting system and is a working on a couple other products as well. He also has a killer tank setup. Reefer Madness, let me know when your going on that crabbing trip, I love dungenous. And I will keep my eyes peeled for a cowrie.

SAM_3097.JPG

Lex inverts chatting with Mr Bret. I have always liked this guy, he tells it like it is...And Also has a few very nice setups. He bred some seahorses too not too long ago.Now that I think about it I think Bret has some baby seahorses right now.

SAM_3206.JPG

Whop whoop!!! I got this pic  of Paul here winning the gift certificate to All Things  Aquarium. He is totally stoked! I would be too, so much there to grab, I bet that certificate never left the store.

SAM_3189.JPG

Grand Prize Vortech went to Albertareef! Way to go man, nice score! I love these raffles that are equal tickets equal chances. Although I wouldn't mind buying more tickets on certain items, it is a refreshing change once in a while to just take a true shot at chance.

A major highlight of this meet  was the presentation given by Miles about fluorescent pigment proteins. He explained a number of things on the subject such as tracking/monitoring cell functions, mutations, calcium and photo reactions...It was wild.

I can elaborate a little more when I get back from work but for now just enjoy these shots of Mils slides. He did a great job and was very informative, answering all of Andy's questions :) But really Miles, Thank You, it was awesome.miles presentation slides.jpg

A slide miles had showing the cell internal structure and Florescent Proteins that assist in research.

miles talk atendance.jpg

Lined up were a number of people who wanted to get a more in depth knowledge of the mysterious GFPs. You can see all the way down on the left had side there is a junior member getting his first reef class sessions in.

optimus PNWMAS.jpg

. OptimusPrime taking addvantage of the black light LED flashlight. I wish I could take those, inject them into my montis, and make a new variety of "tie dye" coral.

SAM_3040.JPG

SAM_3041.JPG

SAM_3061.JPG

SAM_3065.JPG

SAM_3069.JPG

OH and th
e obligatory coral shots here and there.

SAM_3154.JPG

Miles brought some samples of the Florescent Proteins, both natural and man made. Not too sure where he gets all these but I wouldn't mind a few for this upcoming Halloween...How many corals would you say is in one of those little bottles Miles?

SAM_3158.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

One of my favorite things after the meeting is to see what kind of write up you are going to do! Thanks again Miles! I sadly had to miss your presentation as I was helping Sirena watch the grandkids. Looks pretty cool and you even brought props! :)

Thanks everyone who could come! It's always a good time seeing old friends and meeting new ones!

• Like 2

Thanks for the great pics and write up Bert!  This is always one of my favorite parts of the meetings... am always anxious to see what you come up with. 

I think I may have to retire from raffles - don't want to risk my string of luck since Kim wants to take me to Vegas as her good luck charm😄  Kidding aside, very cool to win the MP40 - all my old power heads are dying off so am completely out of spares. Been thinking it would be great to try one of these and now I can!

Great to see a nice turnout of both familiar and new faces. Even got to see Zoolander manning the grill - nice job my man!

• Haha 1