Help - Hazing Inside Tank?

TheClark

Hey All

My son's acyrlic tank has hazing inside of it.

I don't think this is crazing, but am not sure.  It is basically a foggy look to portions of each side of the acrylic. The pattern is random but tends to be more towards the bottom and back of the tank.

I cannot scrape it off with anything including acrylic scrapers, dobie pads etc.

Here is a phone pic

ace921e706cc29370b168caaf861b68d.jpg

It almost seems to be micro scratches but I cannot tell. I need to get out the macro lense and do some closeups I suppose.

My gut is telling me the urchins could have done it. There are not even any snails in this tank, just two golf ball sized urchins and a pseudochromis.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I am thinking of trying micro mesh in tank to see what happens. But it would be nice to get to the root cause as this will be a good sized job.

TIA

Got any photos? Is it along the seems or on the sides? I'm assuming it's an acrylic tank. Does it look like little tiny cuts or more of a haze over the entire side? If it's along the seams then you've got crazing issues.

I'm by no means an expert but I had a very large acrylic tank with some serious crazing issues so I did a lot of research then.

In and of itself - depending on how bad and how new the tank is - a small bit of crazing isn't necessarily something to worry about. It became an issue for me because it was happening very fast almost immediately after filling up the tank. So the seams were dynamic and moving under the pressure, which isn't good on a 240g tank. Crazing isn't uncommon at all on acrylic tanks and doesn't necessarily mean it's going to pop. But if you've got crazing along the seams then something is at least moving a little bit under the pressure, which is disconcerting.

Acrylic will also get that hazy look as well - which I know can by caused by certain chemicals or additives - but I'm not sure which and why it would only affect a small part of the tank.

• Like 1

Yikes that's weird. It kind of reminds me of what happens if you put rubbing alcohol on acrylic. Seems a bit extreme for an urchin, when I had a pencil urchin it never bothered the acrylic.

I know there are some kits people supposedly use in tank for scratch removal, never tried them personally though.

Kind of looks like the acrylic got hit by a UV light or the sun.

That side of the tank does get sunlight through the window, but it is through a low e window?  hmmm...  Also the scratching is on the inside.  Good leads though, pondering.

Yikes that's weird. It kind of reminds me of what happens if you put rubbing alcohol on acrylic. Seems a bit extreme for an urchin, when I had a pencil urchin it never bothered the acrylic.

I know there are some kits people supposedly use in tank for scratch removal, never tried them personally though.

Yes, it is that kind of a look.  Makes no sense to me.

Yes, seems extreme for an urchin to me also,  Just dumbfounded.

Going to try some in tank Micro mesh, reefnjunkie has had good luck with it...

• 2 months later...

Got any photos? Is it along the seems or on the sides? I'm assuming it's an acrylic tank. Does it look like little tiny cuts or more of a haze over the entire side? If it's along the seams then you've got crazing issues.

I'm by no means an expert but I had a very large acrylic tank with some serious crazing issues so I did a lot of research then.

In and of itself - depending on how bad and how new the tank is - a small bit of crazing isn't necessarily something to worry about. It became an issue for me because it was happening very fast almost immediately after filling up the tank. So the seams were dynamic and moving under the pressure, which isn't good on a 240g tank. Crazing isn't uncommon at all on acrylic tanks and doesn't necessarily mean it's going to pop. But if you've got crazing along the seams then something is at least moving a little bit under the pressure, which is disconcerting.

Acrylic will also get that hazy look as well - which I know can by caused by certain chemicals or additives - but I'm not sure which and why it would only affect a small part of the tank.

Do you know what additives can cause it?  He is running Tropic Marin Balling light.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

You can sand all those scratches out if you want. Takes a little elbow grease. I have sand wet sand paper that goes from 2,000 grit to 20,000 grit. I use it to remove scratches on my planes plexiglass canopy but it works just as good on tanks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2017 at 0:12 PM, wanareef said:

It's the urcins, same in my tank. Some micro mesh and elbow grease will work

gl

100,000 % correct Charles, thank you!

My mind is blown, only took about a half hour.  His tank LOOKS LIKE NEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Cannot wait until it clears up to get a shot...  Project rebuild the miracle tank is ON!

:clap::yahoo:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheClark said:

My mind is blown, only took about a half hour.  His tank LOOKS LIKE NEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Cannot wait until it clears up to get a shot...  Project rebuild the miracle tank is ON!

Glad to hear that worked. Will have to keep that trick in mind!

• Like 1

What micro mesh did you use specifically?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, ssappington said:

What micro mesh did you use specifically?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hey Steve,

This one, 15 bucks.

Amazon Link

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H6HIK2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All of the coral was removed, but I am pretty sure @reefnjunkie did it in his tank without removing coral.  Tagged him to confirm/deny... :)

Clownfish did not care at all...  Other than nipping at me the whole time...

• Like 1

On 3/10/2017 at 0:26 PM, TheClark said:

Hey Steve,

This one, 15 bucks.

Amazon Link

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H6HIK2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All of the coral was removed, but I am pretty sure @reefnjunkie did it in his tank without removing coral.  Tagged him to confirm/deny... :)

Clownfish did not care at all...  Other than nipping at me the whole time...

Wow-  :thumbs:  Great job on the new look- I've been away for awhile.

Yes to the in tank and no removing of corals- thanks for the link my new paper will be here Thursday and I've got some scratches to remove.

The 3 I use now that are old and worn are 3200, 6000, and 12000- I rarely needed the 3200. Anyway thanks again for the tag and your assistance in this new look

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, reefnjunkie said:

Wow-  :thumbs:  Great job on the new look- I've been away for awhile.

Yes to the in tank and no removing of corals- thanks for the link my new paper will be here Thursday and I've got some scratches to remove.

The 3 I use now that are old and worn are 3200, 6000, and 12000- I rarely needed the 3200. Anyway thanks again for the tag and your assistance in this new look

Excellent, thanks!  I was using all of them, cutting back to 3 sizes will make the job ALLOT easier...

• 5 weeks later...