Reefing is a dark hobby

Jorge

well.....  It's meant to do that!!!  I agree with the regulating of any wildlife.  We should not be pulling anything out of the wild without regulating!!

Honestly, i think the efforts needs to be spent on breeding...  and building reef farms for not only the hobby..but more so for re-populating the natural reefs that have been destroyed.

• Like 1

well..... It's meant to do that!!! I agree with the regulating of any wildlife. We should not be pulling anything out of the wild without regulating!!

Honestly, i think the efforts needs to be spent on breeding... and building reef farms for not only the hobby..but more so for re-populating the natural reefs that have been destroyed.

I agree, we should support Captive Bred fisheries and aquacultured coral farms. I am also in favor of artificial live rocks in order to protect the reefs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Climate change and ocean acidification are far more dangerous to ocean life than the reef hobby.

Notwithstanding this, effective and reasonable regulation is important for protecting threatened species and reefs. There definitely should be some regulation of the animals taken off the reef in Hawaii, just as there is for sport and commercial fishing.

However, efforts such as this movie strike me as being more along the lines of PETA activism, which I do not support.

Edited by Lexinverts

It's just my humble opinion but if this group of people would focus more on rebuilding decimated areas due to storms, certain commercial fishing practices and the complicated issues that Lexinverts has been sharing with us (Thanks Andy for taking the time to share) they would realize they would get a whole lot farther working on projects like scuttling old ships, coral farming and creating artificial reefs in these "damaged" areas.

I watched the intro video but i did not have audio at the time and from what i understand so far is they have a real problem with the collection of wild caught fish and while i fully agree and support strict regulation with wild caught fish i think the real issue is not going to be the collection of ornamental fish but the continued disappearance of coral reefs.

No reef = No fish to collect

"If you build it, they will come"  ~Field of dreams

Haha! It works here too!

Edited by ChrisQ
  • Like 1

The idea of sustainability in the reefing trade is an excellent approach.

Unfortunately this video was produced by a group of industry hater to round up donation for their own gain.

This group is hoping that people would spread the video and this false representation will gain traction.

The group been harassing fish collectors by pursuing them in the collecting site when taking video.

Hawaii has one of the best conservation that taking into consideration both natural resources, tourism industry, and fisherman / fish collectors.

Only select area of reefs around Hawaii islands can be collected for aquarium industry and the state taking record of total take and mortality.

So far the state of Hawaii has been satisfied that conservation policy working and fish collection for aquarium will continue.

• Like 3

The idea of sustainability in the reefing trade is an excellent approach.

Unfortunately this video was produced by a group of industry hater to round up donation for their own gain.

This group is hoping that people would spread the video and this false representation will gain traction.

The group been harassing fish collectors by pursuing them in the collecting site when taking video.

Hawaii has one of the best conservation that taking into consideration both natural resources, tourism industry, and fisherman / fish collectors.

Only select area of reefs around Hawaii islands can be collected for aquarium industry and the state taking record of total take and mortality.

So far the state of Hawaii has been satisfied that conservation policy working and fish collection for aquarium will continue.

That's good to know Rudy. They make it sound like all you gotta do is pay 50 bucks and go do as you wish. They never brought up underwater construction or global warming as factors. Which I'm sure have a huge impact.