RIP red ring ultra meat coral.

youcallmenny

k9bbpz.jpg

Back when it was doing better.

I've learned something. Sexy shrimp and peppermint shrimp suck. Literally found a sexy burrowed inside, wreaking havok. Removed them all with a turkey baster.

The coral recovered slightly. Then I found a peppermint tearing it's mouth open during dark hours. Moved it to the frag tank but it's done.

2873rzq.jpg

:(

Edited by youcallmenny

That sucks, I had a similar experience but with both emerald crabs and hermits. Don't keep either anymore.

I just returned all my hermits to TPA yesterday. I'm with you on that. Emeralds on the other hand have always behaved themselves. They make it seem like there's no bubble algae but they have little colonies in the rocks they feed on.

Crabs and shrimp are jerks.

The thing with the emeralds is you never see them do it during the day. I woke up one night restless and looked in the tank with a flashlight and caught one with his claw in a wellso mouth digging out dinner. I grabbed him with my grabber and into the sump he went.

Interesting to hear of all the issues with hermits and emeralds.  I didn't ever have a problem with either but had mostly SPS in my tank.  What are folk using as CUC alternatives?  There were definitely some things that these guys would take care of that snails and cucumbers wouldn't (besides the expensive coral that is!).

Edited by albertareef

Like what? Cerith/turbo/nerites Snails get the algae, cucumbers eat the detritus. Add a sand sifting star, some nassarius snails, clams and brittles. Couple that all with a solid filtration system and a robust biofilter via macro, voila!

I'll start watching at night again. That's when I caught the shrimp doing this.

Edited by youcallmenny