What did you say?

milesmiles902

Mine:

I was removing coralline algae from the corners of my tank with a scraper and noticed I was removing the silicone. I went on ReefCentral and said, "How do you remove coralline algae from the corners with a scraper, without removing the silicone? The tank will fall apart if I keep removing the silicone. "

I was young and didn't realize that I should use a toothbrush or something softer.

• Like 3

My son and I were shopping for live rock.  

Ooh, can you get us one with more anemones on it?  

The guy politely responded 'usually people consider aptasia a pest, but if you want it I can get that piece'.

Bet that is where my first aptasia entered the system!

• Like 2

I think it was more just what the heck all the abbreviations meant:

Are they zoas or zoos?

What does TDS mean?

Whats a FTS?

What is BRS?

What are these things called SPS, LPS? 

RTN what the heck is that? 

PAR what does that mean?

What's a MH?

The list is long.... I could go on and on and on... :agree:

• Like 1

I just got a coworker into reefing, he went to the lfs and bought a live rock because he thought the Aptasia looked cool. He also asked the lfs owner if he could buy some of the "tiny white star fish on the glass" I looked at him and thought "have you done no research?!" I was lucky enough to grow up in a house with a couple reef tanks so I've pretty much always understood the basics. But I still have no clue what reactors are for or at what point you need them. I have a canister filter for my 72, I want a sump but it's not in the budget yet. I have 6 small (under 2") fish in it and 80 pounds of live rock so I'm hoping I can get away without a sump for a little while and just commit to weekly 10 gallon water changes.

• Like 2

There are some awesome looking aiptasia/majanos. I can totally see why at first glance they could be attractive.

I got another one:

I remember when I had my metal halide over my tank, which was 2x400W 10K + 2xT12 Actinic. I asked my LFS if this was too much for a 75 gallon? I think we all will agree...it is too much. I ran one halide for years, rotating which one came on during the day. I probably wouldn't have gotten the light, if it didn't come with the 75 gallon package.

I think it was more just what the heck all the abbreviations meant:

Are they zoas or zoos?

What does TDS mean?

Whats a FTS?

What is BRS?

What are these things called SPS, LPS? 

RTN what the heck is that? 

PAR what does that mean?

What's a MH?

The list is long.... I could go on and on and on... :agree:

AEFW MENB's

Me " What is the difference between those two?"

Irritated answer: " one is a snail and one is a crab " ????

Ahhahaha!

I'll never forget the first time I went to TPA in salem and promptly decided I was getting into reefing.

Garrett took a lot of time explaining things like cycling a new tank, tites tates etc.

After about an hour or two straight of noob questions I walked out with two smaller MH pendants and more questions than answers.

One thing I had neglected to ask was how to hang them. Instead, I placed them both sitting on top of the glass canopy, right on the plastic seam.

That was a fun conversation when I returned them and admitted why. XD