Peroxide Dosing?

Paratore

Has anyone given hydrogen peroxide dosing a try as a means to eliminate algae or Dino's? I think I have a small case of Dino's in one of my frag tanks and I'm beginning the battle to rid the tank of them. I'm currently in the 72 hour black out phase but have read that peroxide dosing has worked for some people to get rid of Dino's. From what I can tell it's a dosage of 1ml per 10 gallons of water. I plan to begin dosing as soon the black out is done on Thursday and was hoping to get some advice from people who have tried it before :) and I plan to keep everyone updated so others can see how effective it is or isn't haha.

Soooo, anyone got advice before I begin dosing???

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dabbled in the peroxide dosing but went a different route when I had dinos. I think it was Exodus that did some long term peroxide dosing and he might be able to chime in on what dosage he was using.

May I ask why you switched routes Robert? Along with what other route you went? I've never had to deal with Dino's so I'm just trying to find a good and effective way of eradicating them.

Nutrient export, raised PH, wet skimming, and diligent extraction via higher flow internal pumps loaded with activated carbon...Lex also recommends extracting as much organics via substrate or filters as possible and I agree with him, anything that breaks down becomes fuel for these bastards.

And I would get a couple turkey basters to blow things off from time to time so they get caught up in the filters that I would clean daily. It was a pain but I am way past these guys now so 1 for RoBert 0 for dinos.

• Like 2

Removal of detritus, increased flow, manual removal of Dino strands daily so they do not build up anywhere (turkey baster or your hands), and a UV sterilizer. This worked for me. The blackout and peroxide seemed to stress my corals, and the dinos came back after the blackout. There are a number of different types of dinos, however, so what worked for the ones that I had, might not work for the ones that you have.

The key is patience and persistence. They will eventually go away if you keep at it.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Well it seems like I'm on the right track, I've increased the flow, did lights out to help get the population as low as possible before beginning the full assault, got a turkey baster, I remove detritus whenever possible but my bio load is low, only a couple fish and I boarder line starve them, and I have a UV sterilizer laying around so I'll throw that on there also, and carbon on the system to try and get Dino toxics out of the water.

Lex, I did read that the peroxide could be hard on corals so I'm a little nervous about it. What kind of side affects did you see?

Thanks for the feedback so far guy and anyone else who has battled them, please chime in!

high flow and carbon help. Peroxide works too if you dose it right and do it for the appropriate time. Another thing with dinos is rinsing rock or frag racks in freshwater and giving it a long dark period 

high flow and carbon help. Peroxide works too if you dose it right and do it for the appropriate time. Another thing with dinos is rinsing rock or frag racks in freshwater and giving it a long dark period

It's mostly on the frag racks so I think I'll start swapping it out for new ones every couple of days and see if that helps!

• Like 1

Nice article! I think I'm going to give peroxide dosing a try to see if it kills my Dino's. I plan to start with the 1ml per 10 gallon and do up if need. :)

Also going to hook up the UV sterilizer on Thursday when I get home.

• Like 1

Lex, I did read that the peroxide could be hard on corals so I'm a little nervous about it. What kind of side affects did you see?

Thanks for the feedback so far guy and anyone else who has battled them, please chime in!

Lack of polyp extension, after application, and then after a week I had some STN. It is possible that these two symptoms were the result of something else, however, such as the dino toxins that were present in the water, or the stress from the blackout time.

If you are using UV and peroxide, turn off the UV for a few hours after you dose the peroxide. The UV could cause the peroxide to break down really quickly and reduce its effectiveness.

Edited by Lexinverts
  • Like 2

I dosed peroxide successfully to get rid of dinos. During the day dinos form those long brown chains and at night they break off and become free swimming. The peroxide only lasts a few seconds in the water so it is best to dose 1ml per 10 gallons at night with the 3% peroxide. Make sure it is fresh (costco sells a 2 pack for - $3). Night is best when they are free swimming and the peroxide is more likely to come into contact with them prior to being exhausted on other organics.

You won't see much of an impact on the dinos the first week as the small dose exhausts very quickly. On days 7-8 you will notice a pretty fast decline and after 10 days they should be gone. I dosed half in the tank and half in the filtration system each time.

Try not to mess with anything in the tank as stirring up any detritus is likely to cause another dino bloom and you will be back at square one.

The peroxide will also cause your water to become crystal clear so you may have to turn down your lights. Peroxide had no effect on my livestock (softies, lps, sps and btas).

Dinos seem to appear whenever there is an imbalance in a system and more often appear in very low nutrient systems. If you are getting the usual green algae on the glass every 2-3 days you will most likely not get a dino imbalance. After peroxide you won't see any algae at all for a few weeks but you will hopefully get your balance back after a month or so.

• Like 2

I dosed peroxide successfully to get rid of dinos. During the day dinos form those long brown chains and at night they break off and become free swimming. The peroxide only lasts a few seconds in the water so it is best to dose 1ml per 10 gallons at night with the 3% peroxide. Make sure it is fresh (costco sells a 2 pack for - $3). Night is best when they are free swimming and the peroxide is more likely to come into contact with them prior to being exhausted on other organics.

You won't see much of an impact on the dinos the first week as the small dose exhausts very quickly. On days 7-8 you will notice a pretty fast decline and after 10 days they should be gone. I dosed half in the tank and half in the filtration system each time.

Try not to mess with anything in the tank as stirring up any detritus is likely to cause another dino bloom and you will be back at square one.

The peroxide will also cause your water to become crystal clear so you may have to turn down your lights. Peroxide had no effect on my livestock (softies, lps, sps and btas).

Dinos seem to appear whenever there is an imbalance in a system and more often appear in very low nutrient systems. If you are getting the usual green algae on the glass every 2-3 days you will most likely not get a dino imbalance. After peroxide you won't see any algae at all for a few weeks but you will hopefully get your balance back after a month or so.

Wow thanks for the awesome write up!

I'll make sure to pick up some fresh peroxide before I being. When I come out of the black out, I plan to only run my lights for 5 hours a day and to cut back the intensity so I don't shock the system. They was definitely an imbalance in the system right before they showed up. I did a treatment of Cemiclean to get ride of some cyano and when I came home the next weekend, BAMB there were Dino's. My system has always had a problem of being an ultra low nutrient system and I've attributed that to the Cyana and Dino outbreak :/

Thanks again for the write up, it was nice to hear the other side of the story from someone who successfully did the peroxide treatment.

I've never attempted it in sw, but in fresh planted tanks H2o2 is magic, if applied correctly.

All water movement should be off, and remain off for 30 minutes post treatment. The peroxide gets spot dosed via syringe directly into the algae at a maximum rate of 1ml per gallon. Sensitive plants bordering the algae can be negatively affected. I suspect the same would be true of corals.

Edited by SeanS
  • Like 1

I did peroxide dosing for a few months in an effort to rid of dinos and this is pretty much my observation. While it certainly helps effectively eliminating the dinos that are "visible" It's not long after you stop that they will return from what I am assuming is due to not eliminating the "Source". I know many people have stated they did it an never had it return and act as its some magical witch tonic I'm suspecting they had early stages of Diatoms that closely resemble dinos rising from the sand interlaced with bubbles, in that case it would explain why they never came back. (Though I know there are different strands of Dinos maybe they had a weaker one) I also noticed as thee Peroxide ages it becomes less effective, and quickly! I was buying a new bottle every week for potency tossing out the previous week, thankfully they are only .89 cents.

Just like any other pest in our tanks Dino's have a source, Robert and Lex have spelled out above in how to eliminate that source, to put it simply; Sterilize the tank and keep it that way for some time starving it to death, unlike both of them I have an AIO that presents allot more challenges in doing so, but you have a Frag tank that I assume has a Refuge/Sump with no substrate giving you a huge advantage.

• Like 3

Yeah they tank is pretty simple, my only rock is in the sump. But I do got have a fuge. I've never needed one until now. Always had algae under pretty good control.

Thanks for the right up, seems like there is lots of

Mixed feelings about peroxide dosing. I think I'm going to try and hit the Dino's from all angles (uv sterilizer, blackout, peroxide, nutrient export, extra skimming and increased flow)

Yeah they tank is pretty simple, my only rock is in the sump. But I do got have a fuge. I've never needed one until now. Always had algae under pretty good control.

Thanks for the right up, seems like there is lots of

Mixed feelings about peroxide dosing. I think I'm going to try and hit the Dino's from all angles (uv sterilizer, blackout, peroxide, nutrient export, extra skimming and increased flow)

This is the thing that probably ultimately got my frag system in balance. It's an algae scrubber that I have in the sump. It keeps my NO3 and PO4 low, but not too low. I think that this is what has kept my tank in balance and prevented the Dinos from coming back. I think the UV unit also helps with this.

http://www.santa-monica.cc/HOG1x-Hang-On-Glass-UAS-Upflow-Algae-Scrubber-with-Green-Grabber-surface-and-Xtra-LEDs--1-Cube-feeding-per-day--MAGNET-VERSION_p_38.html

Edited by Lexinverts
  • Like 1