Sps and temp swings.

fishmanmike01

Hmmm...

Interesting, a steady rhythm of 1.2 degree or so rise and fall.

What turns the chiller on and off, it's own thermostat?  You could turn the set point down on the chiller one degree and that would in theory smooth the graph out quite a bit although it would cycle more.  Not sure of the hysteresis setting on the chiller, how often it can turn itself on and off.

Ah, ok, great!

If you set your chiller to turn it off at 78.3 that should keep it from knocking the temp down so low, tighten up the swings a bit.  I honestly probably wouldn't sweat it... but hey I just crashed my whole tank so take it with a grain of salt ;)

• Like 2

Your water temp can swing 2 degrees and it would be fine but your water parameters could make big changes over night, but since we in hot weather now I personally would just set my chiller at 76 and let it do the work

My sps tank swings 77-82 and everything is perfectly happy. LPS, especially euphillia get pissed at 82, but otherwise I see no changes. I'm more of a "let it swing" school though. That way when something fails, and it will, your corals are tough!

• Like 1

My sps tank swings 77-82 and everything is perfectly happy. LPS, especially euphillia get pissed at 82, but otherwise I see no changes. I'm more of a "let it swing" school though. That way when something fails, and it will, your corals are tough!

Your coral is really, really nice too.  Despite that swinging temperature AND low KH?  You SPS whisperer you :)

B9709B89-D904-4B22-ADDD-D74F03552E46_zps

What would cause the alk to swing at night? Even running a reactor?

If you are running a calcium reactor, you shouldn't see alk swings.

You might see alk swings if you were dosing 2-part by hand, or if you were adding all of the sodium carbonate / soda ash (Na2CO3) at once in the middle of the night with a pump.

Nope, that's a pic of my tank Isaac. Thanks Theclark! Lemme know when your ready for some pretties.

I get Super low alk Sometimes, and big temp swings. For me, my tank does best when I leave it the *}#{k alone and just do wc maintenance. Seems like I do more harm than good. One could say my success is inversely related to my involvement.

I swear anybody could grow an SPS colony if they use kent salt, put an LED over it and walk away.

But I'm a bit deep in the cups and hijacking a thread, my apologies fishmanmike!

One could say my success is inversely related to my involvement.

Hahah, my son swears the same thing and I think he is onto something.

It is a magnificent tank shot, truly an alternative view of what it takes for success.  Glad you didn't troll me I would have fell for it ;)

Nope, that's a pic of my tank Isaac.

I remember your op Pete when you posted that pic originally. I still think you are trying to mess with us! Hahahahahahah

And 7 degree temp swings:) man you have a twisted sense of humor:)

Petes right though, lots of ways to skin a cat. Sorry to all cat lovers.

Edited by Mandinga