Regaining sps color.

fishmanmike01

So before I had built a hanging kit for my lights they sat directly in the tank top at about 30%. Things stayed this way for about 6-8 weeks. Over that time many of my frags lost most of their color. All of which still have a good showing of polyps just no great color on the bodies.

Lights have been hanging for over a month now some frags are looking like some color is coming back however some seem to be staying the course.

What's the best course of action to provide the best chance of recovery for these guys?

Stability and lots of time they can lose their color in days and take months to get it back.

Same experiance here, I've got a few frags/micro colonies ( new term for me) that I wont ditch because I know what they will become but a couple are starting to regain color, it's been almost 2 years on one :)

Hey Mike,

Wondering a few more things, how are your levels? What are you dosing? Bio load?

I ask these things because at one point I found myself in a similar situation and was thinking my lights were the culprit. It turned out that my nutrients were too low and I was dosing vodka also, basically leaving next to nothing for the corals to eat. Colors sucked, growth slowed, etc.

After identifying this as the issue, I started feeding more, dosing aminos, no more vodka dosing and the tank has done a 180, colors and growth has been crazy. Just saying to cover your bases. Lighting may be playing into it but many other factors to analyze.

• Like 2

Levels are pretty good I think. Don't dose much as of yet and run a calcium reactor. Last check was

Alk. 8

Cal. 380

Mag ? Need new kit

Phosphate 0

Nitrates 0

I'm currently stocking and feed fairly heavily.

2 yellow tangs

1 powder brown

1 hippo

4 chromis

1 lawnmower blenny

1 bamboo shark.

Ca @ 380 seems low to me, but if it's stable i guess that could be OK. As said before stability is the key with sps. What test kits are you using would be another question I have. Also as stated before to low of nutrients can lead to problems also I shoot for nitrates below 2ppm, but above .5ppm. Also phosphate is an essential building block in all invertabrates, so again I shot for below .5ppt, but above .15ppt. This is all personal belief, and not wanting a debate, just starting what I have experienced.

Shane

Not saying that zeroed out phosphates are bad, but my corals really responded when I brought them up a hair. You may want to try some AcroPower at least, i run it on a doser along with my Ca reactor. Maybe give them some oyster feast occasionally also. Corals are gluttons and will eat as much as you feed them, so make sure you keep them fed! :D

I'm still learning how to tune the reactor to get me up to where I'd like to be. I'm making very slow adjustments as to not change anything too fast. it's also been a challenge getting the ph above 8.18 during the day.

sdietz2469,

I am aware the API are not considered the best kits to use hence I'm starting to aquire an array of Hanna checkers. Thanks for the tip.

Hmmm. Apparently I can't edit my own thread all of a sudden.

I'm still learning how to tune the reactor to get me up to where I'd like to be. I'm making very slow adjustments as to not change anything too fast. it's also been a challenge getting the ph above 8.18 during the day.

sdietz2469,

I am aware the API are not considered the best kits to use hence I'm starting to aquire an array of Hanna checkers. Thanks for the tip.

Hmmm. Apparently I can't edit my own thread all of a sudden.

with a calcium reactor ph in the 8's is fairly normal I wouldn't chase your ph.

Hanna checkers have their down falls also, i was just saying the api can be unreliable for number sake. Testing it against disinformation else's can give you a guidelines. Api can be used, just with caution in an sps tank.

My issues with API. And other tritation kits are my curse of being colorblind. The subtle differences in fluid color are a pain in the a$$ for me.

• Like 1

Hobbyist grade- red sea, salifert, la motte, elos, hanna

these are are acceptable. When working public aquariums I was lucky enough to test kits of these against a hach tester, and most are fairly accurate, but pose a problem when color read out is misread. They give us a guideline to keep stability.

Edited by sdietz2469

Hobbyist grade- red sea, salifert, la motte, elos, hanna

these are are acceptable. When working public aquariums I was lucky enough to test kits of these against a hach tester, and most are fairly accurate, but pose a problem when color read out is misread. They give us a guideline to keep stability.

Well I'm happy to see that you can edit. Lol.

The edit option is only good for 10-15 minutes after a post is made. It's been this way since Dec.

It's. Standard setting on most forums. Came as the default for this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL you only have a narrow window !

Edited post because I can! :)

Edited it again! tick tick tick tick....

one more time and now back to topic... :agree:  :backtotopic:

Okay I lied.. one more time... and..... :fingerscrossed:  I'm done! :applause:

Edited by Emerald525