Regaining sps color.

fishmanmike01

Time and stability. There is alot to read into that, but assuming you get your lighting right...then you will need to sprinkle a little time and stability onto your reef.

What lighting schedule would you recommend? I'm currently running blues 12 and whites at 10 hrs. All on their lowest setting.

What lighting schedule would you recommend? I'm currently running blues 12 and whites at 10 hrs. All on their lowest setting.

Your sps need intense light for a short period of time. Not necessarily a long photo period at low intensity. What lights are you using?

The only thing that will thrive with a low intensity extended photo period is softies, some lps and nuisance algae. Try 10 hours blue and 6 to 7 of strong whites in between. Of course the changes will have to be made throughout the course of a few days. There's other things that come to mind but I'll just be beating a dead horse. Where are you located?

Mike, I am sorry I can't give you specifics on that light, but I agree with Jorge for sure, intense for a short time...i think my lights are on intense light for 7-8 hours. Then just actinics in the mornings and evenings. They really need the punch of bright light, and then a resting period.

I'd check some of the big boards for guys with your specific lights, or hopefully someone on here can help you...because yeah, it's worth getting dialed in. I'm spoiled...I plugged my t5's in to the apex, set the timers and was done. No dimming option on mine, which for me takes the guesswork out of it...

Edited by Mandinga

Your sps need intense light for a short period of time. Not necessarily a long photo period at low intensity. What lights are you using?

The only thing that will thrive with a low intensity extended photo period is softies, some lps and nuisance algae. Try 10 hours blue and 6 to 7 of strong whites in between. Of course the changes will have to be made throughout the course of a few days. There's other things that come to mind but I'll just be beating a dead horse. Where are you located?

I am using the arctic S026's. They are running off my apex and unfortunately don't have dimming capabilitys. Well manually anyways. They are only on the lowest setting because I was concerned I was giving them light shock and planned to ramp things back up after a month or two of recovery period.

I'm in Lafayette.

Mike, I am sorry I can't give you specifics on that light, but I agree with Jorge for sure, intense for a short time...i think my lights are on intense light for 7-8 hours. Then just actinics in the mornings and evenings. They really need the punch of bright light, and then a resting period.

I'd check some of the big boards for guys with your specific lights, or hopefully someone on here can help you...because yeah, it's worth getting dialed in. I'm spoiled...I plugged my t5's in to the apex, set the timers and was done. No dimming option on mine, which for me takes the guesswork out of it...

Thanks for the help. I may try and dial the photo period back a bit and see what develops. Thanks Isaac.