Help me

Cha

-Alk 15dkh( dose two teaspoon soda ash this morning, digitata isn't as white as yesterday but is brown?) tested at cayes

-calcium no idea I'm sure it's not that low sps doing good ( was being cheap and didn't test, cost 1 dollar lol)

-magnesium no idea( forgot to ask them to check I was In a hurry)

-ph 7.8-8.0

-nirate 0

How to get alk lower and how do i get ph higher without raising alk with soda ash

Edited by Cha

Coral, especially sps and no test kits?  :nono:

I'm not very good at explaining this but each of the main 3 elements have a important role to each other, meaning, what effects one will effect another.

If it were me and i couldn't test my own levels and adjust accordingly i would do a large water change.

I think i was once told raising your calcium will lower your alk but don't quote me on that, that and you can't test anyway.

Important edit:

Stop dosing anything without knowing your current levels!

Edited by ChrisQ
  • Like 1

As Chris said, a water change is going to be the easiest "fix" at this point.

Some other pointers:

- you shouldn't be dosing soda ash straight. You should follow a BRS/online recipe and dosing guide using their calculator. Mix it up into a liquid and dose sparingly.

- changing anything rapidly in the tank is going to make your coral mad. Losing colors (browning) or bleaching will occur from this. Get some test kits and see how your tank responds day to day and uses up Alk, Ca, and Mg and make a dosing plan.

I would do a larger water change and the leave it, everything has had enough changes for the day. Let things coast and test but take things easy and avoid over correcting as has happened.

Ok thanks guys,( I'll be getting reef kit test) also if I was to get brightwell calcium and magnesium bottle would I still be able to dose the soda ash if I mixed it like BRS? Or would I have to get the calcium and magnesium powder for the soda ash to work.

Don't be dosing if you don't know what your water parameters are! A dollar a test is not expensive, compared to the life and investment in your tank! Hold off buying a coral or fish, and invest the money instead in Calcium and Magnesium test kits! Don't be in a hurry in this hobby. The most important thing to have (next to some money) is patience!

Ok thanks guys,( I'll be getting reef kit test) also if I was to get brightwell calcium and magnesium bottle would I still be able to dose the soda ash if I mixed it like BRS? Or would I have to get the calcium and magnesium powder for the soda ash to work.

This should help. Soda Ash is for the Alkalinity in the 2 Part.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

I have ALL the photometers, titration test kits, (food grade/BRS) additives etc. for a LG SPS tank. If your in need and interested in picking up test kits especially for an SPS tank. I could make a whole package deal and you could test for just about what ever you want accurately. Just a FYI. Thanks Harold B. PM me

Harold B your inbox is full.

Ok I finally went back and did the test, don't kill me and read please :)

-CA 540

-DKH 13 ( went down 2 from yesterday)

-MAG over 1600ppm

-PH still 7.8( just bought ph buffer

-nitrates 0

Ok I know what you all are thinking I should not be owning a tank and should do my research but wait there is something wrong here. Now, I have no idea how they number got so high and I have never owned any additive to dose until yesterday my first time ever dose in the last 2 years( never ventured in sps till now). I only dosed a little soda ash which got my DKH up to 15( was suppose to raise ph but didn't) luckily after getting my test done I bought a ph buffer to help me corals slowly nuetrulize my high parameter. One last thing I did do a %25 change on my 55g and did my test this afternoon, used IO salt reef crystals. Let me know what other info you guys need to help me figure out how my numbers got so high. Thanks

Edited by Cha

IO reef crystals mixes up with a high dkh, around 13 also with a higher mag then most others.

I'm not sure exactly how accurate this chart is, but i believe the Kent is right on.

gallery_251_116_18330.png

Edited by ChrisQ
  • Like 1

My overall advice is to stop chasing pH. 7.8 is completely acceptable. Don't worry about adding that buffer. All that will do is start jerking your pH around.

As everyone else has mentioned, it's best not to add anything you can't test for.

Lastly, don't be worried about people thinking "you shouldn't have this tank." I don't think anyone is thinking that because every reefer here has made impulsive, regrettable, and otherwise detrimental accidents during their tenure in this hobby. It's just how it goes: learn some things, move forward, learn some things, move back, learn some things, and move forward some more. Stay motivated and just keep learning!

• Like 1

Thanks guys, i forgot to add I do have the regular test kits just not the reef test kit. I think Chris might be right about the IO salt mix might be the reason why my levels are so high and if that is the case what do I do with the the remaining salt I have because I still have a lot and if I do water changes it will bring my levels way up again. I'll be making a new batch of salt to get it tested after 24hour and I'll let you guys know.

You need to STOP chasing numbers your water changes will add the elements you need you only need to start doseing after you cant keep them up in a safe range. The few sps you have will be just fine with a water changes once a week. And go buy some cal alk mag tests asap!

Edited by Blackice
  • Like 1

There was a time, many years ago, when the use of kalkwasser (Calcium Hydroxide) first became popular. There were not many other reefkeepers in Oregon, that I knew of. I had been reading books by various authors(which may have conflicting ways of doing things), and my knowledge on balancing water chemistry was limited. I had, for some reason, attempted to raise the alk by adding more kalk. The more I tried to adjust it, the worse things got. My pH went crazy, alk would drop, and my corals started closing up.  I finally talked to someone down in Arizona, that had accidentally had kalk dump into their livestock holding system. The advice he gave saved my tank. Do a water change, the LEAVE IT ALONE! Stop tinkering with the chemicals, and it will find a balance! Slowly, the calcium dropped, alk increased, and pH returned to 8.3. Sometimes, the more we do, the worse we make it. Nothing good in happens quickly in a reef tank! Only bad things happen fast in this hobby. Take it slow. This may not be your same situation, but I'm giving you the same advice. It will work out.

Thanks guys, i forgot to add I do have the regular test kits just not the reef test kit. I think Chris might be right about the IO salt mix might be the reason why my levels are so high and if that is the case what do I do with the the remaining salt I have because I still have a lot and if I do water changes it will bring my levels way up again. I'll be making a new batch of salt to get it tested after 24hour and I'll let you guys know.

I used Instant Ocean for many years, and swore by it. I did however, have to add a lot of supplements as the calcium is lower than in salt mixes formulated for reef aquariums. That is why Aquarium Systems came out with their "Reef Crystals" mix. (Check the chart posted by ChrisQ) You may want to switch to a brand better formulated for reef tanks, other than IO, which is better suited for a fish only tank.