Critter Cabana and the Tomato Frog

TheClark

Well, we made it down to Critter Cabana in Wilsonville before the meeting on the hunt for a tomato frog.

Unfortunately I had read the hours for Saturday, not Sunday. The place was not due to open until noon!

Fortunately they had a tour going on for the girl scouts to earn badges (cool!). I snuck in with that group.

Second fortunate coincidence, Matt was there bagging coral for the meeting. You know, the coral they gave away for the raffle (cool!). Even though he was scrambling to get ready, he took care of the frog before the store was open.

Well I can say the place is a pet paradise. Oodles of puppies, reptiles and amphibians, a big Macaw.

In fact these two guys were freely roam around on the store!

57cb162337fdfedd1b20619e8f0d3b0f.jpg

The bonus is, it is a place you could bring the family and keep them distracted while you browse the coral.

9f96437e7dcf66a289b91e3db3ac89f9.jpg

Speaking of coral, I was blown away by the selection. The frag tanks are floor to ceiling and very big, and very full of frags and colonies.

261f8d7d43ec2c887e0a00104bc09b68.jpg

This is about half the frag tanks I think...

b22a79493a01b9ba8702f5c1053b0373.jpg

c748a25b2570dc99068b942c1abb754b.jpg

They keep an impressive inventory as well:

50021b07a1d02514e2a5ed84a6ab70b9.jpg

PIC HERE

Huge thanks to Critter Cabana for hooking my daughter up with a nice frog and getting us to the meeting on time!

Edited by theclark
  • Like 1

Dang! I need to make a trip out! Apex's and Radion Pros on the shelf!?! Legit!

Did you not get the frog? Where's the pics?

Oh, hahah, ya the frog. Lots of pics and videos, big time happy daughter. Here is one pic:

ec753216c03a8f38c5b95e4ffcaf1afd.jpg

It is actually a nice reddish color (more than pic, I guess coral is not the only white balance challenge for the iphone).  Think it is a female as it is young and nice and red.

This is the cage Kristen carefully setup for her.  Proud of how well she takes care of her pets.

Edited by theclark

It was great to meet you and even more glad those girl scouts saved the day!  That would have been a bummer trip from Kelso.  Your daughter was/is awesome, we see a lot of kinda crazy kids in there and you have a right to be proud. Thanks for the pics and the shout out here on the forum.

Matt

• Like 2

We stopped by there after the meeting, and I agree, very impressive coral tanks! They also have a nice selection of rimless tanks right there on the shelves for sale, to say nothing of the equipment mentioned.

The small critters in the store like ferrets and hamsters have sliding doors on the cages that you're allowed to open up and reach into, so you're able to pet whatever doesn't run from you, haha. They have quite the variety of animals, too.

Puppies are pretty much guaranteed to keep your spouse entertained while you gawk at coral. I confess to cringing a bit when I see puppies for sale in pet stores, but they did all look healthy and happy, and it was really nice to see them in something other than the jail cell wire cages a lot of shops use.

Highly recommend checking the place out if you're in the area!

Speaking of coral, I was blown away by the selection. The frag tanks are floor to ceiling and very big, and very full of frags and colonies.

261f8d7d43ec2c887e0a00104bc09b68.jpg

This is about half the frag tanks I think...

b22a79493a01b9ba8702f5c1053b0373.jpg

Huge thanks to Critter Cabana for hooking my daughter up with a nice frog and getting us to the meeting on time!

Check out that coral! so much crammed in there. and you didnt even get a photo of the other half with all the zoas..