Hair algae question

Jack-the-reefer

So... I've been battling GHA popping up all over the 40b. It's mostly in the sand, but is popping up on the rocks quite a bit now too. I just tested my RODI water and it's reading 3 on the tds meter. I know 0 is best, and I'm ordering new filters, but is 3 enough to cause the algae or should I be looking elsewhere?

Maybe too many nutrients?? Do you feed heavy? What do you have for filtration? Skimmer? Only LR?

I always have luck with Turbo snails for the rocks.  As far as the sandy areas, I've tried both a Diamond Goby and a Yellow head Sleeper Goby - the diamond goby would bury any frag I had on the sand and/or make huge mounds from digging out holes.  My sand was crystal clean but he had to go since I was loosing too many frags.  The sleeper goby worked for me - he would scoop up sand and swim around so it would sprinkle a bit but not bury anything.

Ocean revive led's. It's not that.

Actually have you made any adjustments to the LED settings? I have battled GHA many times, and got one nasty case directly after adjusting my AI SOL settings and got a bad spectrum, had to readjust the settings and within a couple weeks it quickly disapeared. the best thing I can advise weekly water changes and ensure you are vaccumming the top layer of sand lightly, cut back on feeding makesure you still have an adequete cleaning crew (They die off over time) and spot remove large clumps of it with a toothbrush and hopefully that helps. Phosphates/Nitrates are typically the culpriate see if there is a source to track down and nip it in the butt. good luck!

I got the water tested. Nitrate and Phosphate both showed 0. But I'm sure it's all tied up in the algae. I'm going to up the water changes for the next little while.

I feed everything in the tank from tweezers, so I know there I don't overfeed.

I also don't really have any snails in the tank. So that's going to happen this weekend.

I was wondering about the rocks and sand. I got them all off Craigslist. They were long dead when I got them. So I have no idea what conditions they were in when they were previously set up. Would they start leaching as soon as the tank was set up? It's been running for 8 months now, and this is a fairly new issue.

My rock and sand was heavily used also.  However many people get away with it without issue all the time.  

For some odd reason for me, it took many months then I had a GHA explosion!  I have all these early pictures of the tank and the rock is spotless.  Then out of the blue, bam!  The rumor is it will absorb phosphate up to a point, then start releasing it.  Did you get a chance to test phosphate?  My phosphate was quite high during all of this.  I did allot to try and reduce it but ultimately it started taking care of itself when I took out the sand.  Once the sand was gone, the cleanup crew could actually keep up.  I have thee very fat sea hair's that are going to need a new home as they ate every last spec of GHA.

Again, not saying this is always the cause, just sharing my particular situation.

Personally after this, as a wise reefer told me 'any new rock in my tank will go through the muriatic acid treatment' and I am on board with that to avoid this in the future.

Good luck, it is so frustrating!

Jack, cover up the 660nm reds on your fixture while you combat the Hair Algae, it will help :)

I'd recommend taking your sand out in quarters and rinsing it very well.  As previously stated, the rock can leach the organics back into the water.  If it gets out of control, you can always bleach/acid bath a rock or two at a time.

The only thing to watch for when swapping out a lot of rock at a time is depleting your anerobic bacteria; it takes a long time to establish deep in the LR.  So, if you over do the rock swaps you have to compensate with more water changes to keep nitrates down, macroalgae also helps.  We just ran through the same thing over here on a fellow reefer's tank.

If you end up needing some well established rock let me know and I can swap you some, I've got plenty...

Time to BATTLE!

Can you check your Mag??

0 TDS is important yes.

Time to really limit the nutrient import.

How are you exporting PO4 and NO3? Refugium, algae scrubber, carbon dosing, or just water changes?

Cheers

Edited by Mandinga

I've got the gha in my fuge, and it's doing quite well. I'd put some gha in the fuge and see if it'll grow down there.

Then in the display, just beef up the clean up crew...lots of good recommendations on critters that'll eat it.

I believe that each and every tank will at some point encounter gha. I also believe that gha has a half life that will eventually run its course...IF the aquarist is willing to battle it by manual removal, limiting input of P04, and the addition of a wicked awesome cleanup crew!