Anyone else keep mangroves?

matty

After I broke my last tank down, I kept my mangroves and put them in a vase with fresh water and set them in the kitchen window. They have been in tap for quite some time and have grown like crazy. 

Now that I have a new tank started, I would like to move them back to saltwater but I have a few questions I'm hoping someone might be able to answer. Should I acclimate them back to saltwater and should I move them to RO water first to get rid of anything from the tap water  that could leach into my tank? As you can see in the pic below, there is quite a lot of algae in the vase, will that hurt anything? 

Here's a couple of pics of how they are now:

image_zpsecvoznd2.jpg

image_zps2ucnskph.jpg

Anyone else keep them, share some pics of yours.

I'm not to sure, I order mine from EBay, pm me if you want the sellers name. Most times they come as pods but his always have leaves, if you are only after 1 maybe you can get in on my order, I think I'm going to get s few more.

In the future, just increase the salinity to match and swap them out. Try very hard to not damage the roots as it can kill them. In full on reef water they will need the trunk sprayed down every/every other day to rinse salt out of their air vents. I have a few that are 3ft. Would be awesome to do a super shallow mangrove tank.

• Like 1

I have twenty in my sump and they grow like weeds. They grow really well and fast when you allow their roots to fasten onto something. 

I transitioned them to regular tap once when I was swapping tanks. One of my friends brought them back from going home to hawaii where they harvest mangroves for beach cleanup. 

• 1 year later...

Very cool! I think they are a very neat addition to a saltwater tank. I am going to move mine back to saltwater now that I brought them in for the winter. My plan is to keep them next to my tank on the cabinet I have there, as water in the base evaporates I will replace it with tank water. I'm thinking a week or 2 of that should be sufficient to acclimate them back. I think I will need to break the vase, they are root bound but I don't want to lose those roots! They will go in my sump where I added rock a long time ago just for this purpose, I will be able to "root" them in the rocks so they should grab hold quickly and continue to grow.

Now if I can get branches, they will be added to the display and I hope grow into an almost shrub out of the top of my tank. We will see, they grow very slow.

TLDR: hell yeah I love mangroves!

I would be scared to put them in my tank when they are sitting in algae and could leach something I might not even be able to test for. I just don't want to start out my tank with unknowns although I am sure they would be fine.

Normally I wouldn't either, but I have never added any chemicals or fertilizers to the container and have always flushed the water completely or close to it when I top it off. The container being as full as it is, it looks worse than it is. The container was also new when they were added and most of the gravel was as well. My tank is pretty well established so I feel confident it will be fine. I will be adding a carbon reactor to the tank this week also, just in case. 

• 6 months later...

I finally moved my mangroves but instead of into my tank, I set up a small freshwater tank for them. I'm hoping to turn this into a planted mixed tank and add a few shrimp down the road. 

Wesley is very fond of it also. 

IMG_1212.JPG

• Like 1