Whats the best cheapest sealant for a DIY 2x4 stand?

ChrisQ

Cutting corners again might not be advisable at this point, good screws and wood glue are not that expensive, maybe 10-15 bucks. Or are you talking about a finish to the stand? Kilz is the go to matrrial but any indoor outdoor paint nd primer will also work. There are also some fence and deck stains that I have seen used that also look good if you want the wooden look. Any pics?

I used killz for the inside and deck stain for the outside (for wood grain look, any exterior paint will do the trick).

About how much would i need to cover a 60x20 stand? The stand is not being skinned, i just need it waterproofed. 

Nvm.

• 300 sq. ft. of coverage for 1 gal
Edited by ChrisQ

• 3 weeks later...

Hit up habitat for humanity restore they have some cheap paint and stain depending on who donated what. Its a good place to look before buying retail the worst to happen is they don't have it. =) and always check home Depots clearance section they always have some miss color paints for cheap as dirt. I have some blueish grey exterior paint you could have for free ( i used it to paint a trailer last fall) I'm not sure where you are. I will be up in pdx on Saturday and I could bring it if you want.

I used Kilz 7 or 8 years ago, inside the stand. Still looks great! I also put a pond liner in the stand that can hold 25g or so of water, incase of a sump breach or plumbing issue. Kinda the same thing Frank did.

IIRC Blackice painted his stand with waterproof paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...