New site questions

reefnjunkie

If there is a thread I missed maybe someone could post a link but I had a question/comment regarding the newer format and wasn't sure where the correct spot to post so "splat" here it is.

First question -as the OP are we no longer able to close (and open if closed by ourselves) threads?

Second question- shouldn't the members forum " http://www.pnwmas.org/forum/69-pnwmas-members-forum/"be accessible to just paid members? I'm not a paid member yet I was able to browse that section-(I was looking for a thread on new site questions)

TIA

• Like 1

Nope, you can't open, close, or edit anymore. I wish there was a way to make these things a perk of paid membership. Oh and yes I know you can edit for a very short time but it would be nice to be able to edit any time.

Thanks for the reply- for me it wouldn't be a perk, it seems more of a help to whoever mods so they get less "Mods please close" but hey maybe they like the extra interaction

:)

The viewing of the forum members area needs to be fixed, I would think the paid members area should be a perk for those of you who are paid members (hehehe) and not us trolls :)

Ah snap did I just lump all the non paid members into a troll sub-group- Maybe I can run for president of said troll faction (J/K)

Thanks again Matt (oh and my plans changed I won't need the tank for a sump ;)

Good to see you posting again Brad!???? And you are already the king of the trolls no election needed!???? Jay is there any way that the edit function can be added back? It would be an awesome perk for paid members especially those who use the classifieds a lot. It's what got me to pay for a membership at reef2 reef.

• Like 1

Editing posts is something that needs to happen...IMO. Not sure why the BOD took our right to edit away.

Obviously in classified section, people don't want to read an entire thread to figure out what's sold or still available...

But also for tank threads...the op NEEDS to change! If the op reflects the current nature of the tank(filter, inhabitants, methods, etc) then it will increase the readability and interest level. Again, people don't need to read through 27 pages to see what the tank currently looks like.

I proposed this to the president many moons ago, to which no reason or response was given...I don't think it's his decision or call...likely someone's decision who had an axe to grind over someone editing an old post, throwing arguments off base. I'm glad more people see the value in this edit function....people aren't always trying to edit to wipe off something bad they said!

Then again, that's another great reason to leave the edit button. If someone types some bad information, due to ignorance, do we really want future visitors reading poor advice that could easily be changed?

I could truly give you an academic essay or even a David Letterman top ten list as to why the edit button should live longer than ten minutes!

• Like 1

That is going to be a question for Kevin and the Board.  It is, of course, possible. 

Jay

Well BOD what do you say? Are we returning the edit button. I agree with Mandinga's thoughts with this as well. In the past on the board we had discussed removing the edit function years ago because a particular member was editing inflammatory threads and then denying the posts. However we found out that it caused more problems than it was worth particularly in the classifieds.

I would even be of support of leaving it for paying members but to the group as well.

• Like 1

Back to my question, the ability to close a thread

Let's stay on topic :)

Insert sarcasm - but really how about the close thread option-whats the point of not being able to when I report a thread to be closed and 6 days later it's still open.

Doesn't the reported post show in the MOD/BOD section, it did when I was a mod- and if I was still a mod, I would have closed it by now

Hahaha

Peace, flowers, and sunshine to all

I agree with all of what has been suggested, being able to close and edit. I Think it would be fun if everyone except Brad could edit his posts, that could be the member perk!  :applause:

From what I understand, currently everyone can edit any post they make for a period of 10 minutes after the post is made. So if you make a typo, have a second thought, etc., there is an option to fix it.

I am also in support of everyone having the edit ability except for Brad! :). So any word on the final decision? The 10 minute ability is great for a typo but what about for those in the classifieds who want to edit their post later to update items that are sold or to close a thread?

• Like 1

I can see how editing could make an entire conversation change but it seems that there must be code that could be placed into the threads that would at least let you write under the original wording in the thread without having to make a string outside your post. It would basically be a string within a string (with posts you made only) and you could write Edit: that would allow for editing within the original post but keep people from changing how a conversation looks to the public. That would be the best of both worlds and would have total transparency. Why you can't close a thread you open is beyond me at least in the classified section.

I can see how editing could make an entire conversation change but it seems that there must be code that could be placed into the threads that would at least let you write under the original wording in the thread without having to make a string outside your post. It would basically be a string within a string (with posts you made only) and you could write Edit: that would allow for editing within the original post but keep people from changing how a conversation looks to the public. That would be the best of both worlds and would have total transparency. Why you can't close a thread you open is beyond me at least in the classified section.

This conversation has come up and people have posted something inflammatory and then edited it out. There are ways to retrieve that information on the IT side.  The other thing that can be done is just quote the person and then they can't edit it if you really want them to be accountable. However, like someone else said before, in some ways I think it is nice if people just can be adults and moderate themselves.

I agree with the adult part all the way. In one of the posts someone brought the thread thing up. I just was giving a suggestion that addressed both issues. That's all I was saying either way editing would be good for people so I don't have to sift through 27 threads to see what's available.

• Like 2

Editing would be nice in the classifieds but shouldn't be nessessary anywhere else. Just respect others and proof read before you post, or maybe look like an idiot. Lol.

I am guilty of not proof reading also. Lol.

I think it would be nice to have this ability in all sections but I agree the main issue is how cluttered and confusing the classifieds are now.   Anyone out there from the BOD or officers who want to chime in?