Anyone run high Alk?

Bombertech

I used to...had excellent success with most corals. 11 was where I wanted to be, but it was hard on pumps. The calcium buildup was ridiculous(more like cement). I'm loving the 8.5-9dKh now...pumps are lasting much longer.

SPS seemed to really like the high Alk, but I didnt have too many LPS(besides acans, which did ok)

Higher alk means more co2 which I try to avoid to keep my ph higher . My theory just from my own personal experience and seeing different peoples tanks is lower alk means slower growth but better coloration. Could be because the slower growth allows for "fattier" tissue buildup therefore promoting brighter coloration. Just a theory. Sorry if its off topic.

Higher alk means more co2 which I try to avoid to keep my ph higher . My theory just from my own personal experience and seeing different peoples tanks is lower alk means slower growth but better coloration. Could be because the slower growth allows for "fattier" tissue buildup therefore promoting brighter coloration. Just a theory. Sorry if its off topic.

Indeed, that is my understanding as well.  The higher alk allows the carbon to be taken up faster.  Running lighting at high levels, heavy feeding, and high alk should be an interesting test...  I'm not too worried about the high alk browning zoas but if it is a problem, I'll report back with my findings.  Acro's are well documented as browning out due to high alk.

• Like 2

I usually run my Alk right around 11.5-12.5, Ph is 8-8.4, I think I have pretty decent coloring pink birds nest is bright pink acro is purple with bright green polyps. The only coral I've noticed not coloring out like it should is my German blue polyp, it has browned out and the polyps are greenish. 

Haven't had much problems with pumps or power heads, but I usually run them in a vinegar bath bi-monthly along with our coffee maker.