Frustrated with new site

Emerald525

I am responding to this as a paying member of this club, not as a board member.

It does not take a rocket scientist, or even a statistician to see that the traffic and participation on this site has dropped dramatically.

Do you really think that this "organic healing" that you speak of is nurtured by publicly insulting the members?

By doing this you are a negative force in this forum/site/club.

+1

Micah, both you are the people in the forum are frustrated with continue problem.

We all know your effort and couldn't say enough thank you for your effort.

However, your hours of volunteer effort to get the site back is not a license to insult members especially when you hold position.

It is just bad if executives start insulting sponsor and members.

The last admins was given only 2 weeks or so to get the site up and running, then for the reason of not fast enough work they

are forced out.

Micah has been doing the admin solo for a couple months maybe, and we are back at ground 0

This looks trial and error on software, if that is the case then we don't have experts that know and familiar with the software.

The last thing to do is blaming software performance.

I would have been cautious about adopting or upgrading new software if we don't even know what the software will perform.

This continue problem with the site and people doesn't help the overall well being of this forum.

This forum has become a private craig list with very little discussion about reef keeping.

• Like 1

I have left this site for months due to two things:

1) The new look and feel

2) Micah consistantly insulting people and all around shady attitude. the attempted "drunk coup" etc. Just because you put a lot of work into a place doesn't mean its okay to walk around speaking to people like an [language filter]. A smiley face at the end of an insult makes it okay? Klassy!

I come back to see if anything has changed, and bam what is the first thing I see? Same BS. Hopefully when(if rather) I check back in a couple months things will have changed.

This place has gone down the drain quickly. Peace out!

• Like 3

I still think we need to downgrade back to 4.2.2 or 3. I use several forums with the older versions that have no security issues and everything works fine. It is possible to downgrade. Plus with all the backups that happen, the threat of a hack is going to have pretty minor reprocussions.

Wish this site was looking up but it's been so so so SLOW lately (post wise). Hope we can get this figured out soon.

We all know your effort and couldn't say enough thank you for your effort.

However, your hours of volunteer effort to get the site back is not a license to insult members especially when you hold position.

It is just bad if executives start insulting sponsor and members.

Can you give me examples that I can apologize for?

The last admins was given only 2 weeks or so to get the site up and running, then for the reason of not fast enough work they

are forced out.

And they had 2 years to make a backup.

Micah has been doing the admin solo for a couple months maybe, and we are back at ground 0

This looks trial and error on software, if that is the case then we don't have experts that know and familiar with the software.

The last thing to do is blaming software performance.

I would have been cautious about adopting or upgrading new software if we don't even know what the software will perform.

This continue problem with the site and people doesn't help the overall well being of this forum.

This forum has become a private craig list with very little discussion about reef keeping.

The experts are the ones who recommended we upgrade to vBulletin 5. The experts who know the software inside and out are why we are in this mess. I took a recommendation from said "experts" and here we are. I am a volunteer, as you pointed out. I don't have to stay. My passion to help seems to be misinterpreted as a thirst for power. I assure you, I would hand the reigns over at this very second if I thought that somebody competent would step into these shoes or if the forum was in a stable condition. I really don't like drama, whining, and making something it's not. When people sensationalize these problems and talk about it like it's life or death, it really makes me reconsider my dedication to the uptime of this server.

I still think we need to downgrade back to 4.2.2 or 3. I use several forums with the older versions that have no security issues and everything works fine. It is possible to downgrade. Plus with all the backups that happen, the threat of a hack is going to have pretty minor reprocussions.

Wish this site was looking up but it's been so so so SLOW lately (post wise). Hope we can get this figured out soon.

That was definitely my first choice when I first realized this new site wasn't going to meet the needs (about 24 hours in), but like I mentioned before, it's not an option. vBulletin does not provide a downgrade path. There is a single downgrade path.. You are correct, there IS a way. Unfortunately, it requires a LOT of downtime... Days in fact.. And you don't retain everything. Passwords being one of the thing you lose; requiring every user to have to reset their password at the time of this switch.

I have left this site for months due to two things:

1) The new look and feel

2) Micah consistantly insulting people and all around shady attitude. the attempted "drunk coup" etc. Just because you put a lot of work into a place doesn't mean its okay to walk around speaking to people like an *******. A smiley face at the end of an insult makes it okay? Klassy!

I come back to see if anything has changed, and bam what is the first thing I see? Same BS. Hopefully when(if rather) I check back in a couple months things will have changed.

This place has gone down the drain quickly. Peace out!

Attempted? Naww... Kevin (pledosophy) did a good job of convincing me that the bull**** was over here at PNWMAS and that I should stay where the users are, rather than try to give the users a different place to go - as my loyalty has always been to the people and sponsors, not the club. I'm a gun for hire and Kevin made the best speech. To the overly sensitive, it may seem like i'm constantly insulting people. To those people, I say lighten up and stay away from reddit or cable TV. Life is pretty short. Shorter if you stay stressed. You really need to take things with a grain of salt. The smiley face, because we're on the internet and that's how people communicate on the internet, seemed appropriate. Classy with a K doesn't seem any less silly.

If anybody wants to talk with me over the phone, feel free to do so: 503-six-one-zero-8580.

Try to smile,

Micah

Can you give me examples that I can apologize for?

And they had 2 years to make a backup.

The experts are the ones who recommended we upgrade to vBulletin 5. The experts who know the software inside and out are why we are in this mess. I took a recommendation from said "experts" and here we are. I am a volunteer, as you pointed out. I don't have to stay. My passion to help seems to be misinterpreted as a thirst for power. I assure you, I would hand the reigns over at this very second if I thought that somebody competent would step into these shoes or if the forum was in a stable condition. I really don't like drama, whining, and making something it's not. When people sensationalize these problems and talk about it like it's life or death, it really makes me reconsider my dedication to the uptime of this server.

That was definitely my first choice when I first realized this new site wasn't going to meet the needs (about 24 hours in), but like I mentioned before, it's not an option. vBulletin does not provide a downgrade path. There is a single downgrade path.. You are correct, there IS a way. Unfortunately, it requires a LOT of downtime... Days in fact.. And you don't retain everything. Passwords being one of the thing you lose; requiring every user to have to reset their password at the time of this switch.

Attempted? Naww... Kevin (pledosophy) did a good job of convincing me that the bull**** was over here at PNWMAS and that I should stay where the users are, rather than try to give the users a different place to go - as my loyalty has always been to the people and sponsors, not the club. I'm a gun for hire and Kevin made the best speech. To the overly sensitive, it may seem like i'm constantly insulting people. To those people, I say lighten up and stay away from reddit or cable TV. Life is pretty short. Shorter if you stay stressed. You really need to take things with a grain of salt. The smiley face, because we're on the internet and that's how people communicate on the internet, seemed appropriate. Classy with a K doesn't seem any less silly.

If anybody wants to talk with me over the phone, feel free to do so: 503-six-one-zero-8580.

Try to smile,Micah

Micah I do realize the amount of behind the scenes work that goes into this forum. I do think you have a lot of talent and the efforts are appreciated. However your ego is really getting in the way.

Instead of helping me you insult me.You try to mask it with a smiley face but it was a pointed insult. It also makes other people less likely to speak up because they don't want to be attacked. There was nothing contraversial about my orginal thread. I didn't say that this forum sucks. I simply said I was frustrated and I was because i couldn't use my inbox and noone was responding to my questions.

The upgrade was almost a month ago and I waited patiently. The forum was down maybe 2 days when you were already slamming the admins and wanting to start your own club.

I know what it is like to be criticized it comes with the job but you also have to look at your part in this.

The funny thing is the thread I posted about you originally all I did was i question your loyalty to the club. I was called a pot stirrer but now you admit it. If you want to start your own forum then start your own forum. I don't have a problem with that at all. I don't see it as competition. I frequently look at other forums like reef2reef. I on the other hand have a great deal of loyalty to this club and want to see it back to an active involved community and as much as some people want me to go away I choose to stay because I value the relationships.

I was frustrated with my inbox not working because I was trying to help another member find a steel fabricator and was tryiing to arrange a tank tour. I had to sit and try to figure out the inbox on my own. Jeremy has been great when I have asked him for help and keeps things positive and would be a wonderful addition to the admin team in my opinion.

I wouldn't have had to post this thread if you had simply answered my question in the post you put up about fixing the bugs on this forum. You even have one of your own board members telling you that you are a negative force. Listen to your own advice and stop being so sensitve and take the feedback. Nobody likes the negativity but you fail to see your part in taking on the role.

The upgrade didn't work. That happens. This is a volunteer position. Mistakes are going to be made like not having the site being backed up. People own up to it. People want to know how it is going to be fixed and people want to move on.

Here we go again the pots been steared up all over again!!!!! Seen this coming from a mile away...

The problem with the newer members/BOD is that you weren't here before so you don't know how good the forum use to be and that includes Micah. the older members think this current situation is a joke and we know how good it can be so we have a higher standard for this place.

• Like 2

The problem with the newer members/BOD is that you weren't here before so you don't know how good the forum use to be and that includes Micah. the older members think this current situation is a joke and we know how good it can be so we have a higher standard for this place.

I was a member of the forum in 2004. You just don't remember that because there's no data from that time period. There is no "situation". It's a forum... that's it. It's not a religion... it's not a business... it's just a forum.