75 gallon Reef Build ~~~ Join the fun!

Higher Thinking

Currently, I have a 40b reef tank. It is an SPS/LPS mix, heavy on the Acans and Acros. It has been running since February. Well, the tank has reached its limit with space so it is time to upgrade. I am switching to a 75 gallon with a custom sump (maybe 15 gallons or so). I acquired this 75 gallon setup from Micah several months ago and I am just now finally getting around to setting it up. It is all plumbed and ready to go now, but it's currently sitting in a spare bedroom. Hopefully this weekend I will bring it out to the living room and make the switch. I just need to make sure the switch can happen with enough time to get to Corvallis for the Beav's game.

Here's the current setup in all its glory (all the glory the Android phone can provide):

output_zpsslnf6avx.jpg

Equipment:

Dual Ecotech Radion Gen 3 (1 regular and 1 pro)

75 Gallon with built in overflow (running Herbie-style method)

Marine Magic triple doser currently dosing Randy's two part. I am using Prestone Driveway Heat for calcium and baking soda for alkalinity.

Mag 18 Return pump with loc lines

2x1350 GPH circulation pumps

Off-brand skimmer

Custom sump

Stand with acrylic see-through front

Fish:

Pair of clowns

Blue Damsel Fish

Pink Spotted Watchman Goby

Fire Fish (currently in QT awaiting new tank)

Green Canary Blenny (currently in QT awaiting new tank)

output_zpskdckdyqq.jpg

output_zpsj0kanmql.jpg

I built some screen covers with supplies from home depot. They cost 28 bucks total and I now have enough netting to last a lifetime. Anyone want some?

IMAG1095_zpske8r5qca.jpg

My more beautiful, better half, doing the tedious work:

IMAG1093_zpsvcau0dbj.jpg

10735972_10101336833057828_76022538_n_zps9ec612c7.jpg

Finished product:

IMAG1094_zpsjdlf6s3k.jpg

Well I guess that's about it for now. Hopefully I can update this later in the week after the switch is made. That will be the real test. If I'm lucky, I'll get to be assisted by the great Badxgillen. I'll be confident then.

Your tank is filling up fast isn't it!? Made it almost through a year and now a nice upgrade. I have yet to see the new setup until now and I must say it looks like a nice find that I am sure you will put to good use. We can make some salt water ahead of time for the new tank,drain some old water into buckets and bins for the livestock and rock, and make the swap in a little over an hour and a half.

Nice upgrade! The screen tops fit nicely, won't even be able to see um.

Did you win the raffles for the LED lights?

What's the idea behind the clear front panel? I like it because it's different, kinda reminds me of some custom car stereo systems I have seen in the past, but those were always to show off some ridiculously overpriced pieces of audio equipment:) I don't really understand the functional point of it, but who cares, it looks pretty cool! Good luck keeping it all clean:)

"What's that honey? Put the cable box on a stand of some sort? I don't understand women............... Help me put up these 2 gigantic aquariums."

But seriously. It's looking great! You really shined up that tank! It was filthy when I sold it to ya! Your attention to detail is going to really pay off with this build.

Your tank is filling up fast isn't it!? Made it almost through a year and now a nice upgrade. I have yet to see the new setup until now and I must say it looks like a nice find that I am sure you will put to good use. We can make some salt water ahead of time for the new tank' date='drain some old water into buckets and bins for the livestock and rock, and make the swap in a little over an hour and a half.[/quote']

Yeah buddy! That's why you're the man!

What's the idea behind the clear front panel? I like it because it's different, kinda reminds me of some custom car stereo systems I have seen in the past, but those were always to show off some ridiculously overpriced pieces of audio equipment:) I don't really understand the functional point of it, but who cares, it looks pretty cool! Good luck keeping it all clean:)

I won the raffle for the Ecotech at Doug's house last May. I had to buy the additional one since I was upgrading the setup. I also won the Ocean Revive LED from our last meeting. :) :)

Well, to be honest, the clear front came with the setup. But I think you are essentially correct. The clear front is all about being able to show off the system components. Some setups work to hide them while others are set up to promote them. Personally, I really like seeing the total package working. If it becomes a distraction I may just cover it up. I am already considering a certain kind of cover. I think I want to run my refugium/macro light on an alternating cycle to help stabilize pH. However, I don't want my living room lit up throughout the middle of the night. To keep the best of both worlds, I think I might install a curtain rack above the door. Then I can hang two curtains on the rack and be able to pull them open and closed. Something like this:

window-industrial-curtain-rod-full_zps3641c0e2.jpg

You'll have to ask Jeramy. :) That's where I got the tank originally. Now Higher Thinking has it.

Honestly though, the clear front really grew on me. My OCD wouldn't let me NOT know everything was working fine. On my current tank, I have the front off of it most of the time. Ask my wife, she probably HATES it. :)

"What's that honey? Put the cable box on a stand of some sort? I don't understand women............... Help me put up these 2 gigantic aquariums."

But seriously. It's looking great! You really shined up that tank! It was filthy when I sold it to ya! Your attention to detail is going to really pay off with this build.

Haha, cable boxes don't need stands. Now tanks on the other hand....

I like the manifold off of the return pump, so future proof! That is awesome she built your screen panels, have fun on the build. I think I remember that clear panel on the bottom was part of the 'display sump' someone had done. Curtains are a simple solution, cool.

Wow.Your 40 gallon looks locked' date='stocked and loaded.I like like the sleek design of your new system.Best of luck with the upgrade![/quote']

Thanks! Only a day and a half until the upgrade. Nervous and excited.

I like the manifold off of the return pump' date=' so future proof! That is awesome she built your screen panels, have fun on the build. I think I remember that clear panel on the bottom was part of the 'display sump' someone had done. Curtains are a simple solution, cool.[/quote']

Thanks Clark. The four way is actually something that was already put together with the plumbing that came with it. I ended up just plugging each of the outputs, but I can utilize them if the need ever arose. Until then I'm just p plumbing right back into the dt. Maybe I'll put a carbon reactor or something on there.

I am hesitant to hook anything up on the same line as the return because as that flow changes (reactor starts clogging) it will alter the flow of the return line which means I'll constantly be fiddling with my Herbie overflow.

Well the tank swap was successful. I had one war coral that got a bit upset and suffered some tissue loss. Thanks to Robert (badxgillen) the switch went as perfect as could be expected.

Currently everything looks like a toppled over reef, but I'll be rescaping later today. Here are a couple shots of the progress. I thought I got a good one of Robert, but then realized he has his eyes closed. Oh well, guess he'll have to live with it. I always wish I could take more in progress shots, but once you get going, you gotta just go. No time for midway shots.

The previous tank:

0ba398040c5eaf92333ca0d1ffeb8952.jpg

Here's Robert getting ready to rock and roll:

4692b09bc42bf704e9b130b56a189acb.jpg

Everything put together and in place (still need to hook up the other light)

baa327a2366ee763a22bdd69d5a1cf80.jpg

991f33d75923440c8f1a4364a8f6d085.jpg

Hopefully I can clean this look up a bit. If not, oh well:

3728670605847fcb4a158006d81e5357.jpg

Here it is today after the other light got put up:

033035d04f97bd9c629d36fcb7322527.jpg

90cc6a67afba697b1d52f389c9c91b35.jpg

Now it's time to scape the rock work. :)

Big thanks to the homie Robert. I can't say it enough, he's the man!

Ok, here's the final product, definitely nothing special. It still looks like a fallen over reef, but I kinda like the look when the setup is more flat. While it may be set in stone, the setup is not set in stone (see what I did there?). I may move things around as I develop the scape more. I have a bunch of homeless coral that need to be placed as well.

aa44a629ce7c22d5312888dd196d5e91.jpg

Looking good!

Thanks man, everything seems to have made the transition.

I started dosing vodka three days ago so I'm looking forward to seeing what that has to offer. I needed to drill an air intake hole so that the bottle doesn't suck in as the doser pulls from it. Since alcohol readily evaporates, I figured I'd rig the air hole with a check valve. Works flawlessly. No hole for evaporation, yet it can readily take in air as needed.

22d20794f0cd15ba1c61bb2c42492405.jpg

Fleischmann's! Only the best for my corals! Believe it or not, but it was 1 dollar cheaper than HRD.

is that tank from Jeremy?

Yeah, that is his old tank. I guess it went to from Jeramy to Micah and then to me. I'm diggin it for sure. I think I'll install some curtains in the front though so I can run my macro light in the PM. I'm doing that currently, but I have to hang a towel in front of the plexiglass at night to keep my living room from having a super bright night light.

It looks like I am in dream land there' date=' defiantly not my game face but comedic nevertheless. It took a tad longer than I had anticipated but it all panned out in time for the game didn't it, with no losses, thats a good move in my book.[/quote']

Yeah man for sure. Definitely a good move. Now I'm just needing to grow out some corals to fill in all that space.

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned earlier that I wanted to put curtains on the clear opening of my stand. That way I can block the macro light at night.

Well, I went out to buy some stuff and realized that short curtain are hard to come by. To deal with this, I decided I would make my own. Well more specifically, my mom will. (Side bar: Yes, I'm a married man who still relies on his mommy to help him do stuff) Anyway, I saw this material at Wal-Mart and couldn't help but pick it. My wife was kind of supportive, but I could see she wasn't totally sold on this childish material in or living room. I think this will look dope on the front of the tank.

What do y'all think?bba6a4cc5fe9ea94d549e855edee6f81.jpg

Not much has changed, but everything is growing. Since dosing vodka, I can definitely notice less brown in the corals, but unfortunately I haven't seen better coloration. The corals look a bit pale, but maybe they are just adjusting, Idk...

48 hours to go brown, 48 weeks to color up. They will in time, just takes time. Looks like you got a few in there too.

If it were me, I probably would limo tint the acrylic on the front of the doors, or just paint them black. Does the light in the living room at night actually bother you? I kinda like mine, plus it keeps the neighbors away cuz they all think I'm growin something else. (I actually just showed my next store neighbor my phytoplankton cultures after an odd conversation, much friendlier now)

I don't know man, (scratch) new kid friendly ride, buying childish fabrics as you call it at the Walmart, cheapin out on the booze....you sure you don't have anything else to tell us? (naner)

48 hours to go brown, 48 weeks to color up. They will in time, just takes time. Looks like you got a few in there too.

If it were me, I probably would limo tint the acrylic on the front of the doors, or just paint them black. Does the light in the living room at night actually bother you? I kinda like mine, plus it keeps the neighbors away cuz they all think I'm growin something else. (I actually just showed my next store neighbor my phytoplankton cultures after an odd conversation, much friendlier now)

I don't know man, (scratch) new kid friendly ride, buying childish fabrics as you call it at the Walmart, cheapin out on the booze....you sure you don't have anything else to tell us? (naner)

The light isn't the worst thing in the world. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I feel like my fish and corals want to have some complete darkness at night :) The light spills into the bedroom though when the door is open so that's the real motivation from blocking it. I like the clear setup during the day though so I can waste hours staring at the system instead of looking for a job. That's why I'll be able to pull back the curtains.

And no sir....nothing I need to tell you. No kids, yet. (yahoo)

You'll know that day comes when I post the "WTS: Reef tank" thread.

Do you have a refugium I am not seeing in the photo's?

I was going to peak and see if you could direct your light from the side of the fuge instead of the top and use the reflector on the light as a blocker of some sort to lessen the stray light coming into the bedroom, but on second look at your photo's I don't even see a refugium that would require a light, or help stabalize pH in the off hours.

Strangely enough the reef is not pitch black at night. There should be enough of a way to direct the light so there is not so much spillage.