Clowns jumping out

Aerixx

[language filter], more work on my tank, clowns are assholes too, I bought a much smaller clown to put in so they would be ok, and after a few days of bullying they where ok, but now that he jumped and is showing weakness the bigger clown is bullying worse than ever!

I bought the frames and screen from home depot. Total cost was 28 bucks. 8 for screening, which is about 1000x more than you need (come to Albany and you can have some), 3 dollars for the roller tool, the rest was frames and corner pieces. Your cost there will depend on rim size. I did it with my wife in about an hour. You could probably do it in less if you really wanted. We were just having fun. 1a4a4fc6a7f3bfe49d389e25ce77d1b8.jpg131c3a6179f7814dcd3f52d3938930a8.jpg

Thanks Higher I am gonna do just that' date=' I was thinking of using gutter guard for the top and those screens for the sides. What are they sitting on top of to keep them on top?[/quote']

They are actually sitting inside the rim. I just realized people mentioned you had a rim-less tank. That means you'll have to buy something like this as well: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BG9JUKU?pc_redir=1413798139&robot_redir=1

That will be better than just laying the screen on top, unsecured.

What type of clowns are you trying to pair? Seems odd to me that you have had multiple jumpers' date=' in all my years reefing with many rimless tanks I've never had a clown jump.[/quote']

I'd never had a blue tang jump.... until I did.

IME with ocellaris clowns over an 8 year period I have had the same fish jump twice and go carpet surfing, another time into the overflow. They had been together about 3 years before the first jump, it's been over a year since the jump into the overflow box. I still have both the male and female, got them when they were very young, still happy and healthy. I blame it on the wife for calling him Nemo!

I don't think its an issue with the type of clowns as much as it is with how high the water line sits on my custom build, I have about another 1/2" I can lower the baffles, but I have to shut everything off remove the silicone, lower and resilicone, not looking foreword to it lol, but even to fit the screen I may have to

I don't think its an issue with the type of clowns as much as it is with how high the water line sits on my custom build' date=' I have about another 1/2" I can lower the baffles, but I have to shut everything off remove the silicone, lower and resilicone, not looking foreword to it lol, but even to fit the screen I may have to[/quote']

You could always glue those little clamps on so that they rest on top of the tank, rather than having to push them down. That way you wouldn't need to lower the baffle because the lid would sit above the lip. You know what I'm saying? Really, any kind of DIY L-shaped clips could be glued to the rim of the tank and work as a brace to hold the lid.

It must be clown fish suicide month. The male from my breeding onyx pair just jumped to his death a couple of weeks ago. I had my main tank covered because of my wrasses but never thought to cover the gigantea tank with the clowns. It is covered now. Good luck with your new pairing. I have introduced a couple of new very small clowns to my female and after some initial bullying, things seem to be working out. I have an egg crate partition in the tank that the juveniles can swim through but the female cannot, just so the small ones have a place to escape if needed.

I'd never had a blue tang jump.... until I did.

IME with ocellaris clowns over an 8 year period I have had the same fish jump twice and go carpet surfing, another time into the overflow. They had been together about 3 years before the first jump, it's been over a year since the jump into the overflow box. I still have both the male and female, got them when they were very young, still happy and healthy. I blame it on the wife for calling him Nemo!

Now I've had a blue tang jump lol... Only times I've had a clown get close to jumping was when they were getting attacked by their mate with failed pairing attempts. Took me over a year to pair some gold stripe maroons. It got ugly MANY times lol.

My hippo tang jumped out of a 5 gallon bucket when I took the lid off while moving' date=' jumped up and touched my face with it's tale and landed back in the bucket. Must have been watching Free Willy...[/quote']

Just letting you know your place in the hierarchy!

The clowns are paired well now after the initial bullying, and thank goodness the clown is ok after a nice stint on my carpet. My first tank I had about a year and a half, never covered it and no clown commited suicide, only difference was that was a nano cube and this is a 20L