Question for you Herbie overflow users

Higher Thinking

Question for you Herbie overflow users  

1. 1.

• Run it dry
    • Use a slight trickle

Haven't looked at the different designs for a long time but mine is three, siphon, secondary and the emergency above the overflow water line which would be dry. I have only had one hermit climb down the siphon and the second drain handled that, I did hear the flushing as it is set up with the air line.

I always kept my emergency over flow dry and made sure that the main drain was 100% siphon not sucking any air dialed in using a gate valve I would then twrmimate the end of my emergencey drain a few inches aboves the water level in my sump so that it would make a ton of noise slurping gulping and splashing if it ever came into ise kind of an alram of sorts letting you know sometjing was wrong my main drain usually terminated at or just below the water levwl in the sump for a trully silent herbie I also did not use any elbows on it eith in the tank or out make it a straight shot if you have to turn use some kind of flex tubing 90s make spots for air to het trape which makes nois and the whole point of this is silence mated with saftey is your drain is makeing noise then there is something that needs addressed sorry for rambling and I am sur this is full of misspelled word and grammer errors but it is 2am and I just got off a 16hr day =)

Thanks for all the responses. It looks like people are pretty much divided. I don't think one style is definitively better, but I do like the aspect of the trickle because it raises the water level in the overflow and makes it silent back there.

Jeramy, I am not concerned with noise. I have it running silent. Neither method makes any noise, but I was just wondering people's preferences. Thanks a lot for the input. I think this is your old tank. I got it from Micah.

I run mine dry and similar to Jeremy the emergency pipe is a few inches above the sump so it makes a lot of noise if it's getting water. That lets me know it's time to check things out before there is a problem. It usually just means I need to adjust my gate valve, which is rare at this point. I would say if there's no difference in noise run it dry.

• 2 weeks later...