Jebao DC 12000 Driving 5' Skimmer

TheClark

I picked up this 5' beckett/downdraft/venturi style skimmer a while back from craigslist, Patrick at Satlwater Fantaseas sold it to me for 75 bucks. What a deal!

The dwell time was good, but the bubble size was a little large and the turbulence in the chamber was rough. It skimmed, but it seemed it could be better.

Rudy suggested I convert it over to a recirculating skimmer. Great idea!

At the same time I was wondering if a Jebao DC pump could be a skimmer pump as well. Old news these days, but at the time it was hardly google-able not many were doing it.

This job called for an expert in mechanical design, and it turns out we have one here in the forum (don't kill me Jeff :)). BlueZReef is an engineer and all around handy and friendly guy. He offered to design and print a DC12000 pinwheel.

The old thread is lost with the crash, but he made a winner.

Here it is all hooked up to the big skimmer. I owe Patrick, Rudy Golden Basket and Jeff BlueZ a thanks, this turned out great. Visions of gallons of skimmate in the morning are dancing in my head :)

Fun stuff...

nice! Glad that beast is finally kicking butt now!

As fun as it would be to mass produce these, I don't want to. Since its a Chinese product, they would probably buy one and just copy it and sell as their own or just make one of they see them selling. If people want them, I will make them individually for some people.

I bet you could add about 80 fish and feed 3x a day with that beast. I had to pull my GFO off my tank a month ago since my PO4 was constantly reading zero. Its been a month and it stays around .02 but the NO3 is still zero.

if you use GFO you may want to watch the levels, some is good and that beast may take everything out

• 10 months later...

This skimmer is now retired, as it put too much pressure on the 1/4" acyrlic frag tank and cracked it 95' tall tube of water putting pressure in one spot).  

It will live again in the garage.  For now SRO-5000 seems to do a comparable job.