To tang or not?

featherblue

Ive finally got a 4ft tank (72g bowfront), and im starting the research process for potential tang. Im looking for any species suggestions that would do well long term in my tank (dont want to upgrade til Im done renting in another few years. Its hard enough finding someone who doesn't mind the 70 g).

This is a softy/lps reef; high nutrient to keep my pods booming and dragonette fat n happy. All of my fish are peaceful (gobies and blennies for the most part).

Is there a good tang for my tank?

I don't think you'll find a lot of tang police here (that's a good thing). I say if you get a small enough tang (something silver-dollar sized or smaller) you'll have plenty of time to enjoy it before you have to re-home it. Just go into it knowing that eventually you will have to.

Sailfins tend to grow wicked fast. Everybody told me this, but I got one anyways... it grows twice the speed of my yellow tang. Regal Blue Tangs also grow really fast. My yellow tang seems to be growing nice and slow, but that could just be because the sailfin is bogarting the food. I know Cuttle Fish and Corals had a really kick-butt Chevron Tang a couple days ago a little smaller than a silver-dollar. If I I could only have ONE tang, knowing what I do now, that would be the one I get. A small Kole tang would also be a friendly addition and is a good algae eater, sometimes even bryopsis.

kole or tomini will stay small (er)... I have both and love them... the tang police will arrest me, but I currently have three tangs, a hippo, yellow and kole living quite happily together in a 46... they will however be moving very, very soon to a 120... I love my hippo, and imagine she will eventually outgrow me, which will be a very sad day...

I might also consider a powder blue in the future which also stays smaller, but I hear they are very ich prone...

I have a reefer friend in the St Louis area how has NINE tangs all living happily together in a 125... he's very well respected and has been reefing for many, many years... (Is that sirens I hear??)

Id look at the bristle tooth's. I had a kole in 65 for a few years and I have a Cheveron in a 4 foot 120 now.

I'd go with something that will live in what you have, not what you will have IMO. Things come up.

Definitely tang though, great animals and mates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think schools when stocking a reef. Don't put fish together that normally wouldn't come in Contact in nature.

Those schools are pretty rad, but I think if you look at 99.999% of reef tanks, you'll find fish that would never interact in nature.. Same with corals..... and inverts...... and.....

If you want a tang in a smaller tank it will help to have extra flow, tang LOVE power heads. Ok I will admit it I had my purple In a 60 cube for a little over a year. But i all ready knew I was going to up grade. If it was me ONLY do one tang in the 72 and get one of prettyer one ( purple or chevron) you will have a show piece for sure!