Rookie Battles Hydrometer - Rookie wins with assist from refractometer - Repost

TheClark

Blast from the past 07-10-2013, 08:45 PM.. Repost since it might help someone...

==========================================

Wow, I have to share. If you ever think your specific gravity is off, get a second opinion.

Just a routine check, tested SG in son's frag tank after hooking up his ATO.

- 1.030... Seriously!

- Tap tap tap, tap tap tap. Any bubbles left in there?

- No? Could it really be that high?

- Still reads high.

- Let's test the DT.

- DT reads the same.

- Tap, tap tap.

- DT reads at 1.026 after allot of tapping.

- Back to frag tank, more tapping.

- No matter how much I tap, frag tank reads high.

- Test saltwater in mixing garbage can, off the charts high. Over 1.032. That's odd.

- Bust out the old, old hydrometer and retest frag tank.

- It still reads high at 1.028.

Oh yeah, I have a refractometer!!! I have not been able to find for a month, the time is right.

Tear apart all the fish supplies looking for it. FOUND IT!

Grab the calibration fluid, test the refractometer. Reads exactly right per the calibration fluid.

Test the frag tank - 1.0255.

Test the DT - 1.025

Test the Saltwater mixing bucket - 1.025

Toss hydrometers in trash.

Wow, lesson learned.

Glad I did not pour a bunch of fresh water in to appease the hydrometer. That would have rough on the frags.

This is pretty bad, but I've been using the same Instant Ocean Hydrometer that I've had since I got into the hobby 8 years ago. (laugh)

I've tested it against multiple refractometers and it has always been correct, so I've never had a need to buy anything else.

I'm a bad example though.

Refractometers are definitely the way to go.

This is pretty bad, but I've been using the same Instant Ocean Hydrometer that I've had since I got into the hobby 8 years ago. (laugh)

I've tested it against multiple refractometers and it has always been correct, so I've never had a need to buy anything else.

I'm a bad example though.

Refractometers are definitely the way to go.

That's amazing and a good example of good hydrometer behavior. Well maybe like many things, they just don't make em like they used to DOH!

I've got three refractometers...two give the same readings' date=' so i go with those. Every hydrometer I have ever owned has been considerably off.[/quote']

Same here, wildly off! For the cost today compared to the average frag it seems pretty smart to pick one up.

I use an ATC one and it works great. I tried a supposedly calibrated floating hydrometer (forget the name, glass ones) and it was off by like .005 or so. Stopped using hydrometers years ago, they are all over the place. Saving up for the green Milwakie digital one, so nice and easy and accurate.

I couldn't imagine using a hydrometer. I got one when I first started salt and it took all of a couple weeks before I knew I needed a refractometer. I mean, they are only like 25 bucks. I couldn't imagine a legitimate reason not to buy one. Even if your hydrometer is accurate, I find that the refractometers are so easy to read it removes all competition.