DIY Fish/coral food

reefnjunkie

After using Rod's food and prior to that using the 'Gumbo' Saltwater Fantaseas sells I figured it was time to make my own. I dont think it really matters exactly what you use but I will always be sure I add a few certain 'ingredients'

My ingredients came from my local Asian Market and the seafood counter at Winco.

The asian market is great for nori, krill and a variety of fresh frozen like squid, oyster, sardines, and whatever is 'cheap'

Basically I add anything that swims (laugh) or crawls out of the ocean and then some vitamins etc.

My most recent batch included

Vita Chem

nori

krill

sardines

cuttlefish

turbot

sole

snapper

squid

octopus

shrimp

oysters

clams

scallops

tapila or however its spelled

cyclopeze

spirulina brine

Mysis

selcon

garlic

16 oz jar of fish pellets with spirulina

you can also add peas, spinach, probably even carrots (J/K-but I bet you could), kelp.

there may be more but thats pretty much it- I buy what ever is fresh and cheap. The Krill from the market is about 1/15 th price of a petco and the nori is about 25 full sheets for 2.00 as an example

I will cut it in pieces add it to the food processor hit the button for a second a couple times than add it into a mixing bowl and onto the next ingredient.

Be careful not to over process it just takes a second to mince/chop. Once its all done a add about 1.5 cups into a quart freezer bag seal it and lay it flat on a cookie sheet where I then set it in the freezer.

I think the last batch I made was closer to 80.00 but I got about 25 bags-twice what I needed, and 20% of that was the selcon and vita chem which I could have skipped.

Its nothing special but the fish devour it and all the LPS have there feeders out when its all done and said.

Use your imagination, I mean think about it, fish eat their own poop so.........

Great info, thank you for posting this up :). I'll have to go buy a cheapo food processor so I don't the kitchen one :o

Use your imagination, I mean think about it, fish eat their own poop so.........

So your secret ingreadient is.................. skimmate (laugh)

So Brad, how much are you going to sell this stuff for? I don't want to make it, I want to buy it from you! I used to buy the stuff from Cos up at OIAB that Robert made, but it's too far to drive and the last couple batches I bought didn't seem very the same and the fish didn't really like it.

i make it outside now. it only takes once to make it in your house and then you sleep on the couch that night. (wife)

I agree, The last batch I made stunk the kitchen up for a good while. Make the fish or the wife happy.....it's a toss up there......Oh wait, as long as I'M happy.