magflake not safe anymore???

izzypop

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my guess is there is now more impurities in it or they add something new to it. or the whole we sell to "brand-x" and brand-x is mad thing coulb be... who knows I won't risk it though.

are you using the stuff that goes into your ca reactor??? this is not that product. heck i don't know it's back to the "european brands" for me since it is working well.

Its used in municipal water for human consumption. Good enough for me and I have been using it for sometime with great results.

What product are you talking about? You wouldn't put water out of the tap in your reef would you?

What product are you talking about? You wouldn't put water out of the tap in your reef would you?

That is where I go with it as well.

There is so much talk about food grade stuff being ok for our hobby, but there is so much the we as humans can withstand that our fragile tank inhibits would not be able to stand.

I guess, I would rather pay for stuff that is made for our hobby, then risk thousands of dollars in live stock, to save a few bucks here and there.

Guest Mbeef61

agreed....its all fun and games until that few bucks costs thousands....tried and true methods for me. reef standards are above human standards...i just think it would suck if something happened and you never really knew if it was that or not.

It was just a gesture (about municipal water), what matters is I use a lot of it and everything is very happy, I also know of at least two of our sponsors using the same product and their corals do just fine too, in my case I will continue its use, you can buy whatever product you want, its not that I'm cheap its really a matter of what I can get in bulk bags.

Am I missing something here ? To me, the statement is just Magflake coming out with a CYA notice against using its product for something they know nothing about...plus...or minus. Wait till Mrs. Wages pickling lime finds out we're using their product for something other than its intended purpose....they will issue a statement absolving themselves of liability too.

I'm with Nyles!!! I'll continue to use it. If something is human use quality it must be OK for aquarium use.

Not trying to pick a fight...but I feel this statement is inaccurate and not true, like izzypop said, tap water is safe for human consumption but an RO/DI water unit is one of the most highly recommended things in this hobby.

*note: I am not saying that people are going to have ill effects from this mag at all, just simply that statements like this, do not belong in this hobby.

Whatever RG84, go ahead and take your best shot. What I was trying to convey is that if it is food grade quality and humans can consume it, it surely must be better then lab grade quality. That would make sence to me.

And people that start their posts with "Not trying to pick a fight...", must have some reason to think a fight will break out. If you disagree with what I say or think that's fine go ahead a say so, but don't tell me because I didn't make myself clear to you that my statements/thoughts don't belong in this hobby.

Whatever RG84, go ahead and take your best shot. What I was trying to convey is that if it is food grade quality and humans can consume it, it surely must be better then lab grade quality. That would make sence to me.

And people that start their posts with "Not trying to pick a fight...", must have some reason to think a fight will break out. If you disagree with what I say or think that's fine go ahead a say so, but don't tell me because I didn't make myself clear to you that my statements/thoughts don't belong in this hobby.

Anything I say to you is picking a fight with you...so that is why I started my post off that way. Guess I should have quoted Niles, he does not take things personal as you seem to do.

You are correct that something that is food grade and is for human consumption is better then lab grade stuff, but that does not make it safe for aquariums, and that is where you statement is wrong. There are alot of stuff that I can consume and I bet if I put it in my tank it would kill anything in the tank, does this mean since it is safe for me to consume that it is ok in my tank, cause remember "If something is human use quality it must be OK for aquarium use."

Anything I say to you is picking a fight with you...so that is why I started my post off that way. Guess I should have quoted Niles, he does not take things personal as you seem to do.

You are correct that something that is food grade and is for human consumption is better then lab grade stuff, but that does not make it safe for aquariums, and that is where you statement is wrong. There are alot of stuff that I can consume and I bet if I put it in my tank it would kill anything in the tank, does this mean since it is safe for me to consume that it is ok in my tank, cause remember "If something is human use quality it must be OK for aquarium use."

Who cares!

The whole point of the topic was that dead sea works is covering there rears from possible litigations in the future, they simply pull this stuff from the dead sea and cannot back the contents in an aquarium environment. Lets leave it at that, you don't like it don't buy it, I simply stated another brand that I use, and yes its more than likely just as venerable to the same quality issues... Not like that never happens to your cherished salt brands or other products made for aquarium use.... Move on.

If you buy something without testing it first, its your fault, just as if you buy a coral from a member or sponsor and its infected with whatever, its YOUR fault, because you didn't take the proper steps to quarantine or test. So please stop making this thread out to be more than it is.

I can't believe all this hype over a simple company throwing out a message so that it would not be held responsible for any wrong doing, I don't blame them, if someone was drinking the stuff as part of a diet for increased mag intake I would do the same thing if I was working for that company.... think about it.

lets not forget that RO/DI is not for human cumspumtion it says so on most units lol so your statements dont hold water lol i made a pun

The water that comes out of it, can be drank...it is cleaner then when it into the unit...however if you eat the resin beads or something then you are on to something.

Who cares!

The whole point of the topic was that dead sea works is covering there rears from possible litigations in the future, they simply pull this stuff from the dead sea and cannot back the contents in an aquarium environment. Lets leave it at that, you don't like it don't buy it, I simply stated another brand that I use, and yes its more than likely just as venerable to the same quality issues... Not like that never happens to your cherished salt brands or other products made for aquarium use.... Move on.

If you buy something without testing it first, its your fault, just as if you buy a coral from a member or sponsor and its infected with whatever, its YOUR fault, because you didn't take the proper steps to quarantine or test. So please stop making this thread out to be more than it is.

I can't believe all this hype over a simple company throwing out a message so that it would not be held responsible for any wrong doing, I don't blame them, if someone was drinking the stuff as part of a diet for increased mag intake I would do the same thing if I was working for that company.... think about it.

Again, I do not disagree with you...I never once stated that. Everyone freaks out that new people read these posts and we have to be perfectly PC, but yet it is ok for people to state misinformation and when I call them out, I just insulted their very core...It is such BS. Nobody has any sort of thick skin. It was not personal attack...simply proving my point and saying that the statement is not accurate.

You don't get it, your not on topic, therefore I don't see its relevance. Thats why I say WHO GIVES A CRAP, lets move on and get back on topic, not that this hasn't been beat with a dead horse already. You don't want to use a product suggested as an alternative to the one discussed about thats fine, but lets move on.