magflake not safe anymore???

izzypop

The one thing I see you getting in food grade vs mag flake is consistancy. Mag flake could change in every batch, I would guess that food grade mag would be more carefully monitored.

Interesting point... I honestly don't know the details on food testing so well (anyone out there?) but for many reagent grade chemicals, you can get batch or lot specific analysis that list all detectable trace elements and their levels - which is one reason they can be rather expensive - vs. more generic lab grade chemicals which simply guarantee the presence of the listed chemical at XX %. So... with the latter, you could indeed have some pretty big lot variations in terms of the composition and not know about it. Hopefully, someone else can comment on the standards for human consumption items (testing frequency, parameters) but I think it might be more a matter of guaranteing what isn't in there (eg. toxic chemicals, harmful bacteria, etc.) than defining what is. The complication being "toxic" defined by human standards.

I really have no axe to grind in this - just thought it was an interesting philosophical question.... and one with no clear cut "right" answer from my perspective.

Working in the grocery industry I can tell you that we only seem to get a recall AFTER something bad has happened. I believe they have random testing, but not ongoing testing. Take the recent MenuFoods recall of the pet food. Only after the problem was discovered were there tests and inquiries. Most of the time it has to do with an allergen getting into the food, like peanuts or milk. Other times it is more serious.

Jay

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic