Golden Basket Reef

Re_Run

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That one is sweet. I was bidding on the phantom zoas but 230 bucks for 6 zoas seemed crazy to me.

Yeah those zoas are super nice but [language filter]! (nutty)

I also picked these zoas up mostly because I have always wanted them. I hear they are melters but I guess at least they were cheap if they do.

IMG_1297_zpsdcffa371.jpg

Wow Matty0206 those are very nice pieces.

He is going to get my business by the time Christmas rolls around for sure. I had no idea he was local to here - I have looked at his stuff on Ebay countless times...(drooler)

Definitely do, his stuff is awesome and you can catch some great deals.

$150. No one else bid so I figured why not. I have always wanted one.

Literally, told myself today around 1pm if no one bids on that SCOLY next time it's up I'm going broke for the week lol and spoiling myself AWESOME PICK UP Matty and I got the same darth mauls (I actually traded em for fruit loops) but you can't go wrong with darth mauls. Awesome pick ups man

Concerning Darth Mauls - I had 2 frags of those in my last tank - 1 melted and one thrived - and they were within an inch of one another. They came from 2 different tanks from the same owner, fed from the same sump. The same thing happened with Space Monsters from the same guy - 1 polyp on a disc by itself died and another on a separate disc became 17... No control for a test under those conditions (not that I was staging any kind of experimentation), it seemed to me like more luck of the draw.

There was very little change in lighting - MH to MH. Water params were spot on - considering the limits of our physical and chemical tests as hobbyists. Fish poop is food for these guys - had quite a few well fed fish in the tank. Still, some made it and others didn't - of the exact same species...crazy. Of all the corals I have ever kept, zoas and palys have been huge successes and huge failures. I have had whole colonies of zoas die off while everything else - from ricordia to acanthastrea to millepora flourished.

Absolutely intriguing.

Concerning Darth Mauls - I had 2 frags of those in my last tank - 1 melted and one thrived - and they were within an inch of one another. They came from 2 different tanks from the same owner, fed from the same sump. The same thing happened with Space Monsters from the same guy - 1 polyp on a disc by itself died and another on a separate disc became 17... No control for a test under those conditions (not that I was staging any kind of experimentation), it seemed to me like more luck of the draw.

There was very little change in lighting - MH to MH. Water params were spot on - considering the limits of our physical and chemical tests as hobbyists. Fish poop is food for these guys - had quite a few well fed fish in the tank. Still, some made it and others didn't - of the exact same species...crazy. Of all the corals I have ever kept, zoas and palys have been huge successes and huge failures. I have had whole colonies of zoas die off while everything else - from ricordia to acanthastrea to millepora flourished.

Absolutely intriguing.

I am not sure if I would use intriguing as my choice of words (laugh) I have experienced the exact same as you described in relation to zoas and palys and its aggravating being you cant be analytical with them DOH!

Its for sure a love hate relationship with me, I love how some look, but hate the randomness of what keeps them thriving, I only grow them for trade, no zoas allowed in the main tank-(nono)

I saw those in person and they did not hit ant hot buttons for me, I thought they were a little ugly in all honesty

Its amazing what photography can do, especially with a macro lens

Yeah those zoas are super nice but [language filter]! (nutty)

I also picked these zoas up mostly because I have always wanted them. I hear they are melters but I guess at least they were cheap if they do.

IMG_1297_zpsdcffa371.jpg

Great score. I love the Mauls! They can melt but I had luck when I bought some from Rudy on a big plug like this. I just ended up selling them because I was taking down one of the tanks and didn't want to risk losing them. Also be careful with fragging these. If you do I would suggest just cutting the rock.

The Phantom zoas were amazing. Very unique and special IMO. I wonder if anyone locally ended up with them.(scratch) Rudy does have nice stuff. We are lucky to have him locally here. I know many of the vendors on r2r bid on his stuff.

Great score. I love the Mauls! They can melt but I had luck when I bought some from Rudy on a big plug like this. I just ended up selling them because I was taking down one of the tanks and didn't want to risk losing them. Also be careful with fragging these. If you do I would suggest just cutting the rock.

The Phantom zoas were amazing. Very unique and special IMO. I wonder if anyone locally ended up with them.(scratch) Rudy does have nice stuff. We are lucky to have him locally here. I know many of the vendors on r2r bid on his stuff.

Good info, thanks. In my reading on them it does seem the people who have had success with them have not fragged them and let them spread instead of confining them to a small frag plug. I have always wanted them but am to cheap to pay what most want for them so when I saw these I could not pass it up.