Cube Seahorse Tank Build

NoobtoSalt

Well I figured I might as well set this up as a build thread now that I've got it going a little bit.

I picked up a 30 gallon Oceanic Cube tank the other day. Built a stand for the tank today. Basic and functional for the time being. I'm sure I will skin it at some point but for the next month or so it's just going to be a frame. As far as equipment for the tank. I will be running a Tunze 9002 skimmer along with an AquaClear AC70 for a simple HOB filter. Lighting for now will stay with the florecent light that the tank came with. Later on down the road I plan to build an LED light hood for the tank. No sump on this tank, keeping it simple. I'm picking up some live rock tomorrow and should have the seahorses in the tank tomorrow as well. It has been setup for a few days not in the old location.

2012-06-29_21-42-17_821.jpg

2012-07-02_12-20-52_387.jpg

2012-07-02_12-21-02_735.jpg

Great job with this curveball Jesse. You've done a great job caring for these unexpected critters. They look awesome.

Why thank you sir. Your welcome to come check them out this weekend during the meeting. That goes for all here as well. Just shoot me a message or check out the July meeting thread.

Back to this thread though....

The male's pouch is getting extremely big. Who knows if he will have had the babies by the meeting or not. I would think they will be born before the meeting.

Good start.

I have some dead coral skeletons that are more branch like for hitches if you like. Maybe some small branch rock would work for you too.

Did you set up a chiller yet? Your max temp needs to be lower then 74F. These guys look a little skinny to me as well. If they are WC's and are eating regularly for the past week you've had them, might be time to think about treating them for parasites. I'd at least do the fresh water dip and see if there was a "reaction" IME.

Good start.

I have some dead coral skeletons that are more branch like for hitches if you like. Maybe some small branch rock would work for you too.

Did you set up a chiller yet? Your max temp needs to be lower then 74F. These guys look a little skinny to me as well. If they are WC's and are eating regularly for the past week you've had them, might be time to think about treating them for parasites. I'd at least do the fresh water dip and see if there was a "reaction" IME.

Good start.

No chiller, have central AC in the house. The male won't eat when the hermit crabs are around. I only Hebrew two hermits in the tank currently and need a much larger cuc. I have had others suggest not to treat these ones and only treat the fry. I was able to get an order of diamox just in case of gbd. I've been feeding frozen mysis and cyclopeeze since they arrived. Now that i'm back this week I plan to order in some brine eggs too

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Hey just out of curiousity I know they require a low flow environment. How is the filtration system set up in order to deal with water quality?

Right now nothing fancy, just an air pump for flow and I plan to do a water change daily for the fry.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Just did the daily water change for the babies. I've lost about half of the brood but for not knowing what to do I'm pretty proud of myself. I've had a lot of help from my mom (making trips down to feed them during the day when I'm at work) as well as my wife feeding them when I've asked her. I would guess I still have about 100 or so fry living in a 5 gallon bucket on my dining room table...(laugh)

I need to move the bucket somewhere else and will need to figure something out at some point if I do have any survivors after the first few weeks where to put them after that but this is pretty cool to have them living even this long.

th_2012-07-13_09-35-25_332.jpg