Cube Seahorse Tank Build

NoobtoSalt

WOW!!! I thought I was looking at photos of baby brine at first. Congratulations' date=' there can be no better achievement in our hobby then creating new life. :)[/quote']

Thanks! Lost a lot of em but who knows what will happen with the rest.

Don't look at the wiring on the side of the tank but here is the new tank stand. It's an old speaker but thought it would look kind of cool in the living room and is a much better setup then the last stand I had.

2012-07-13_16-33-52_345.jpg

I lost all the fry and I have been talking to some people on other forums and they suggested that I just sell the fry once they are born to others. I was going to scrap this project and sell off the horses but I guess there is a market for the fry even if they are only a day old. The male has a full pouch again so we will see where this gets me. If anyone is interested in trying them out let me know. I have no idea what to charge for the fry since many if not all will likely not make it.

Fry are a hard thing to raise mate. Given the timeline of the deaths I would suspect water quality. Fry are usually designed to last 5 days or so without any food. If they died before that, I would suspect the water myself. It is likely that the fry never ate if they did not live a week. Don't get down on yourself though mate. Razing seahorse fry is a very tough thing to do. It wasn't even 10 years ago that it was considered scientifically impossible and breeders in some parts of the world were being arrested and accused of illegal collection.

For pricing on fry, I have never heard of someone paying for fry, other then shipping if it needed to be. Raising fry is a tough and expensive thing to do.

If you do decide to let go of the horses, let me know. I am one of the more experienced seahorse keepers in these parts and one of a handful of people in that area that have ever raised pelagic seahorse fry. I think they should be very similar to my experience raising reidi and barbouri. Introducing a tropical seahorse of that size into the hobby would be quite fun, and unlike last time when I was breeding in my apartments kitchen, I do have a fish room and a garage for space. I am sure I could turn out quite a bit. Although if you do decide to keep them, my offer to help you still stands.

Fry are a hard thing to raise mate. Given the timeline of the deaths I would suspect water quality. Fry are usually designed to last 5 days or so without any food. If they died before that, I would suspect the water myself. It is likely that the fry never ate if they did not live a week. Don't get down on yourself though mate. Razing seahorse fry is a very tough thing to do. It wasn't even 10 years ago that it was considered scientifically impossible and breeders in some parts of the world were being arrested and accused of illegal collection.

For pricing on fry, I have never heard of someone paying for fry, other then shipping if it needed to be. Raising fry is a tough and expensive thing to do.

If you do decide to let go of the horses, let me know. I am one of the more experienced seahorse keepers in these parts and one of a handful of people in that area that have ever raised pelagic seahorse fry. I think they should be very similar to my experience raising reidi and barbouri. Introducing a tropical seahorse of that size into the hobby would be quite fun, and unlike last time when I was breeding in my apartments kitchen, I do have a fish room and a garage for space. I am sure I could turn out quite a bit. Although if you do decide to keep them, my offer to help you still stands.

I had someone on another forum ask me if I would sell them the fry just after they were born. I thought it was a bit odd myself. As far as the horses go I have no idea what to even ask for them. I have had some interest from other places and aquariums that might be interested in them as well but I would love to keep them locally so if I do decide to no longer keep them I will let you know. If I can hold out until the fall like you and I talked maybe we can work something out for the both of us.

If soomeone wants to buy them, that is on that person I suppose. They should ship fine, the biggest concern is going to be ammonia build up in the bag, they can take the time without food just fine. I'd still overnight it of course.

I saw Tami's advice to give them to an aquarium, but if you wanted to ship them off, I think Dan underwood of Seahorse source would be a better option if he is interested. Just because they are a public aquarium does not mean they know about seahorses I have found in my experience. Fisheri are not "that special" theya re just not imported. There numbers in the wild are still fairly prolithic even in some of the more touristy places in Waikiki. If you know where to look you can see there colonies by taking a few steps off the sidewalk (like 4). I was kinda surprised.

If you want to keep them I am here for whatever advice I can give until my schedule clears up and I can give some more hands on help. My breeding setups are fairly unique, but I think they will be excellent for this species. Gonna need cultures to breed them though.

If soomeone wants to buy them, that is on that person I suppose. They should ship fine, the biggest concern is going to be ammonia build up in the bag, they can take the time without food just fine. I'd still overnight it of course.

I saw Tami's advice to give them to an aquarium, but if you wanted to ship them off, I think Dan underwood of Seahorse source would be a better option if he is interested. Just because they are a public aquarium does not mean they know about seahorses I have found in my experience. Fisheri are not "that special" theya re just not imported. There numbers in the wild are still fairly prolithic even in some of the more touristy places in Waikiki. If you know where to look you can see there colonies by taking a few steps off the sidewalk (like 4). I was kinda surprised.

If you want to keep them I am here for whatever advice I can give until my schedule clears up and I can give some more hands on help. My breeding setups are fairly unique, but I think they will be excellent for this species. Gonna need cultures to breed them though.

Thanks again Kevin.

Here is some videos I just shot of the female and male. The female isn't looking as hot over the past few days but she's still eating like a pig. You can hear my wife's lovebird wanting attention in the background too..(laugh)

th_2012-07-20_14-48-52_942.jpg

th_2012-07-20_14-48-23_959.jpg

As fun as it's been the past month or so having this tank I'm sad to say I'm going to be parting it out. If i do seahorses i want to do it with the funds not being a problem as well as time. I just don't have time to deal with two tanks at the moment and my reef has been neglected recently because of this tank. I will be posting a sale thread later on all items. :(

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2