Just a FYI PETCO's dollar per gallon sale

duffy340

Hey' date=' thanks for the update! I have been waiting for this special deal to replace my 40-gallon sump; however, upon review of petco.com, I do not see anything indicating the fabled "dollar per gallon" sale event I have heard so much about...[/quote']

Its there, you just have to look at the local ad. Not all regions run this promotion. And you don't truly get a dollar a gallon unless you shop in Oregon (whistle). Sales tax sucks

Also note that the biggest tank they have in this sale is the 29 gallon. Anything over that size isn't in the sale and you have to be a petco perks member (free but you have to sign up). It either ends on 7/12 or 7/21 I can't remember which is said.

Also note that the biggest tank they have in this sale is the 29 gallon. Anything over that size isn't in the sale and you have to be a petco perks member (free but you have to sign up). It either ends on 7/12 or 7/21 I can't remember which is said.

The paper ad states up to a 55 gallon. some stores I have heard hide the 40b because of crazy people like us...lol. But they are party of the sale like always

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Really? It used to be 55 gallons. PETCO must be cheaping out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Good to know. I was at the vancouver one on Hazel Dell ave today and their add said 29 was the largest in the sale and when I asked an employee they said the same. I guess I should go to the 4th plain store and see what they say.

So I have a question (as I'm planning my sump design): What is it with 40 gallons? I seem to hear about them relatively often and even Noobtosalt mentioned them being "hidden" from reefers during petco's sale...I'm debating a 40 vs 55 and I'm leaning toward the 55 for 1) increased effective volume and 2) only $15 more. Is this a sound line of reasoning?

So I have a question (as I'm planning my sump design): What is it with 40 gallons? I seem to hear about them relatively often and even Noobtosalt mentioned them being "hidden" from reefers during petco's sale...I'm debating a 40 vs 55 and I'm leaning toward the 55 for 1) increased effective volume and 2) only $15 more. Is this a sound line of reasoning?

People just like the dimensions of the 40B. A lot of people like to use them for frag tanks too. I personally felt like the height was too tall for a frag tank for me and my current frag tank is 13 inches tall. It sounds like that would be too low of a height but it works well and makes it easily accessible and easy to take pictures.

Be sure to grab an ad on the way in so you can show them. I don't know why they don't want to sell the larger tanks but if you show them their ad they can't argue about selling one to you.

They loose more money during the sale if its the bigger tanks that get sold

I have a 55 sump, but there's very little room above the tank in the stand to reach in and manipulate the equipment/macro. I can't pour water from a 5g bucket either, have to use a siphon to fill it for a water change. 40b would def have it's benefits for a minor change in system volume. you also get a little more useful square footage for organizing the sump and slower laminar flow (which helps reduce bubbles). 40b as a sump has def advantages compared to a 55. now a 75g sump...that would be super sweet...

They loose more money during the sale if its the bigger tanks that get sold

You would be suprized how little they pay for these tanks. I worked there many many years ago and was shocked when I saw the invoices. They bought a tank for a few bucks and would sell it at 1,000% mark up. The standard sizes that is, anything else is a different story.

Back in the day they used to have 33 longs in the sale... I haven't seen a 33 long at a petco since.

33L is a sweet tank, I have my snake in one and am still trying to figure out the elusive snake /Frag tank combo (nutty)

I guess it's just me, but I refuse to buy Petco anything...maybe dog food, or a toy/leash...

Have you seen what they do to their poor livestock? And the masses they mis-inform...irregardless of how cheap they go... It's a shame. I can't support that, especially when our local shops do so much for us. call me a homer.

I get your point, though I would happily buy a 40b for $40 no matter where it is...

I will say though, that very little of the dog food at petco is worth anything. most of the stuff from non-brands and even most national brands use a ton of starch fillers like rice and corn and potato. not that those things are actually bad for your pooch, but they shouldn't be a big portion of the diet.

Anyone have an idea of which 20 gallon tanks they are? And on the topic of pet stores, for me working at one, most of the associates really do care a lot about the pets. If one pet gets neglected even the slightest bit they contact me right away to address the issues and what we can to do help them. That being said that's not the same in all pet stores but at least the two locations I have worked at I have never seen neglect on the pets. We actually spend a ton of money taking animals to the vets just to get the best care for them.

Anyone have an idea of which 20 gallon tanks they are? And on the topic of pet stores' date=' for me working at one, most of the associates really do care a lot about the pets. If one pet gets neglected even the slightest bit they contact me right away to address the issues and what we can to do help them. That being said that's not the same in all pet stores but at least the two locations I have worked at I have never seen neglect on the pets. We actually spend a ton of money taking animals to the vets just to get the best care for them.[/quote']

They have both the 20L and 20H avalible for $20 (in Oregon at least (whistle) sales tax is evil). The Petco I was at also took really good care of their animals. But unfortunatly there are some horrrible locations that do desirve the reputation. Most do care :)