R.I.P. trigger

gradth

Well this just sucks. Lost my favorite fish today(male Bluethroat trigger) for no apparent reason. Started acting strange last night and "trigging" under a rock and not moving. His partner, the female bluethroat was wigging out. She kept hitting him, as if trying to get him to move. Found him this morning in the same spot dead. Looked over his body and found no trace of anything wrong at all. I have had him for just over 3 years now.(sad) Was out eating fine day before yesterday, just really doesnt seem to make sense.

Anyway, just wanted to vent, my second oldest fish. Now the female is mateless(if that is a word). Heres a good pic of the 2.

triggerkiss.jpg

Ya that really does suck, I have a large Male BT trigger and the wife loves it. I have a sargassum too. The sargassum is its the 2nd one I got, the first one kicked the bucket the first week(flame) that was 150.00 in crab food- I never did find the body-(scratch)I guess I am glad my tanks big and I got a huge CUC.

Did you feed it a variety of foods, I ask only because of some thread I read ahile back about predatory fish getting lockjaw from eating Krill-strangest thread I have read but it did not seem to be an isolated case. Krill used to be "a main diet" for mine until I read that thread.

That totally sucks man, they are so cool-there are not many fish I give a rip about but that would be one

I feed spectrum pellets, frozen mysis, and frozen shrimp that i peel and cut up and freeze from the deli and a some food blend that I make. Alternate between them. I worked alot last week so I didnt spend a ton of time other than basic maintence and feeding, but I did not notice any strange behaviour.

does your sargassum and bluethroat get along ok? I like them, just not the price tag. Need to find a new buddy for my female.

Ya the BT is about 7" and the Sargassum is maybe 5. The BT gave it a little "this is my tank" treatment the first day but nothing bad at all and today they are fine. I feed the BT whole sardines by hand and the Sargassum comes up all the time and grabs the other end-its pretty funny

I was not suggesting the "lock jaw" idea, I just was curious if there was a variety of foods you fed.

I make my own food since that BT eats like a PIG, I probablly feed 2-3 tablespoons easy of home made chopped meaty food and pellets on top of that-(nutty)

The BT is spoiled and still wont eat pellets but the sargassum does. The 1st Sargassum I should have made sure it ate-that was a costly mistake and never again would I buy any fish I did not see eating. The store let me buy the 2nd one at cost which helped, but still even at cost DOH!

SWF has 2-3 BT around 5" but make sure they are eating if you go that route, he has a few Sargassums in too-one looked great

She seems ok now, was quite angry at him last night, nipping at him and trying to get him to move. Ill get another male soon, but it wont be the same. Ive lost alot of fish since I started this hobby as I know we all have. But that one stung a bit.

How old do you think your male was? My guess is part of it just has to do with fish as they age. It is incredible how long some can live in captivity and just like animals they are more susceptible to things and things can break down. I doubt it was an infection as you didn't see any signs of this. Also the female looked fine. My guess is it was something quick like the heart or lungs. It was really a cool fish. I remember reading about yours and I would have gotten one if I had had more room in my tank.

Triggers rock!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk

Archived