Sponsorship Dilemmas...

MVPaquatics

I'm still laughing, most LFS have employes that do maintenance; this places you in direct competion with them. Being in competition is not a bad thing though, the reality is that everyone of our sponsors is in competion with one another, so like I said before it has nothing to do with your eligiblity as a sponsor. I agree with snowpunk, it does make sence to have the board handle this case by case.

P.S. Why not have a web site where your maintenance customers can pay you for your services? This way you would meet the forums requirments as well as provide a convenience to your customers? Just an idea

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm still laughing, most LFS have employes that do maintenance; this places you in direct competion with them. Being in competition is not a bad thing though, the reality is that everyone of our sponsors is in competion with one another, so like I said before it has nothing to do with your eligiblity as a sponsor. I agree with snowpunk, it does make sence to have the board handle this case by case.

P.S. Why not have a web site where your maintenance customers can pay you for your services? This way you would meet the forums requirments as well as provide a convenience to your customers? Just an idea

I agree with you that most store have their employees does all the maintenance, but I do not agree that every sponsors is in competition, for example Westside, Upscale, Rose City, OIAB

is working together and help each other out. I'm not saying that you're wrong but sometimes you hear rumor from another stores, and what they try to do is make them self better from other, my self start up Westside is because I love this hobby and love what I'm doing but not to get rich, I will support MVPaquatic all the ways and if can't get his sponsor I will get it for him, I respect the fact that a man is working hard for his passion and that how I see it.

Tim

• 2 months later...

Well still no luck....Why does it feel like I am deliberately being swept under the rug here? I have been told there will be talk, but no results, not even a no answer. I think the best thing for me to do is take a break for awhile. I really enjoy the people, banter, and great ideas/advice, but there is a time when you need to make a conscious business decision. I have invested a lot into this site, maybe you are unaware. I invest a lot of time, more than any other website by far, giving free, what I think is good, advice. I have donated time(HOURS), money, and supplies (refractometer, 15 gallon aquarium, salt, ro water, plumbing supplies, CUC, fish, supplements, etc. if you want a list). It is near impossible to get even a thank you or shout out, which could really help stir up business and get my name out there.

The site needs money, but won't take it from me. There are other people clearly breaking the sponsorship guidelines, that I am respectfully not doing. It is hard at this point to not take it personally. Some said, maybe this isnt the proper setting for your business. Quite the opposite. I do EVERYTHING in reefing. From massive 600 gallon hospital reef tanks that cost $30,000, to helping the little old lady neighbor empty her skimmate cup because her husband died and she wont get rid of his tank and hates the smell of the cup. I will do things others cant/wont. What other people do you know that has a college degree in zoology will come to your house, on-call, and take care of you animals when you are on vacation? Then IF you find one, take a look at price, unlike others, mine reflects the times, I will work with you. But what is asked of me is to become the norm. Get a retail store or website. That isnt what I do. I work from home, I need to be absolutely close to the animals I care for, saltwater fish is a large portion of what I do, but definitely not all.

Dont take this at all like an ultimatum. I know we will both lose if we part ways. The site will lose good knowledge, donations, and exposure (yes I tell tons of people!). I am sure I will lose some exposure, maybe even get a "bad" name, and I KNOW I will lose business, I get inquiries and requests all the time. But at some point, you just have to put it all out there for change.

You can find me on facebook, and anyone with my number is free to give it to anyone who asks (FOR BUSINESS! lol)

Mike I haven't forgotten about you. I do think you bring a lot to the club. I also did promise you I would bring it up to the board but we as a board have actually not met since November. We still don't have a vendor relations person since Michael7979 stepped down. Stylaster our president agreed to take up the slack but he is dealing with some personal stuff. I don't think he would mind me saying that. At the January meeting I did discuss your sponsorship with Barelycuda, Tanktop, Mr S and a few moderators. However, the board as a whole has to agree and discuss this and like I said we have not met since November.

I apologize as it would have taken me 10 seconds to send you a pm just letting you know this information. I will try to do a better job with that next time.

I am the club secretary and I also help with Tanks for Teacher but I can't do it all nor do I really want to LOL as I do spend a great deal of time behind the scenes. You can ask Beth lol. I'm always with my cell phone and computer and lists! I do value you as a member of this club. Please realize you are not deliberately being swept under the rug. These are volunteer positions and sometimes life happens and gets in the way even with the best of intentions.

If you feel like there are people abusing the site, send me a pm so I can look into it.

Again, sorry for your frustration. I would feel the same way. Smann a few days ago mentioned setting up a board meeting which I think is a great idea.

You have to remember that these rules were here before you came along. The board didn't make them up to keep you out.I think everyone enjoys and is thankfull for your knowledge and everyone else that helps here.If you are here just for bussiness then maybe you should look to some different meduims for advertising( newspaper, tv,ect). Something that wouldnt take so much of your time up but get your name out there.

Well still no luck....Why does it feel like I am deliberately being swept under the rug here? I have been told there will be talk, but no results, not even a no answer. I think the best thing for me to do is take a break for awhile. I really enjoy the people, banter, and great ideas/advice, but there is a time when you need to make a conscious business decision. I have invested a lot into this site, maybe you are unaware. I invest a lot of time, more than any other website by far, giving free, what I think is good, advice. I have donated time(HOURS), money, and supplies (refractometer, 15 gallon aquarium, salt, ro water, plumbing supplies, CUC, fish, supplements, etc. if you want a list). It is near impossible to get even a thank you or shout out, which could really help stir up business and get my name out there.

The site needs money, but won't take it from me. There are other people clearly breaking the sponsorship guidelines, that I am respectfully not doing. It is hard at this point to not take it personally. Some said, maybe this isnt the proper setting for your business. Quite the opposite. I do EVERYTHING in reefing. From massive 600 gallon hospital reef tanks that cost $30,000, to helping the little old lady neighbor empty her skimmate cup because her husband died and she wont get rid of his tank and hates the smell of the cup. I will do things others cant/wont. What other people do you know that has a college degree in zoology will come to your house, on-call, and take care of you animals when you are on vacation? Then IF you find one, take a look at price, unlike others, mine reflects the times, I will work with you. But what is asked of me is to become the norm. Get a retail store or website. That isnt what I do. I work from home, I need to be absolutely close to the animals I care for, saltwater fish is a large portion of what I do, but definitely not all.

Dont take this at all like an ultimatum. I know we will both lose if we part ways. The site will lose good knowledge, donations, and exposure (yes I tell tons of people!). I am sure I will lose some exposure, maybe even get a "bad" name, and I KNOW I will lose business, I get inquiries and requests all the time. But at some point, you just have to put it all out there for change.

You can find me on facebook, and anyone with my number is free to give it to anyone who asks (FOR BUSINESS! lol)

Sorry to read all of this. If it makes you feel any better you aren't the first potential sponsor to go through this. I remember a coral farmer out here that went through the same thing till he gave up.....Tim had to wait for ever to get attention........and I can go on. I wouldn't worry too much about loses....Reef2Reef is massive and has tons of members from this area.....try there if you are unsatisfied or seeking more

You have to remember that these rules were here before you came along. The board didn't make them up to keep you out.I think everyone enjoys and is thankfull for your knowledge and everyone else that helps here.If you are here just for bussiness then maybe you should look to some different meduims for advertising( newspaper' date=' tv,ect). Something that wouldnt take so much of your time up but get your name out there.[/quote']

Jon you make some good points. I am also fairly new to this club and do not know the exact details. Mike I do promise I will bring this up at the next board meeting we have to discuss further.

Sorry to read all of this. If it makes you feel any better you aren't the first potential sponsor to go through this. I remember a coral farmer out here that went through the same thing till he gave up.....Tim had to wait for ever to get attention........and I can go on. I wouldn't worry too much about loses....Reef2Reef is massive and has tons of members from this area.....try there if you are unsatisfied or seeking more

Like I said these are volunteer positions. We are not the high volume sponsorship driven forms like r2r or reef central no do I think that's what we want to be. There have been issues and concerns with sponsors in the past Saltsick. Since I have been on this forum there was this one member who decided to be a sponsor even though he didn't have a business license nor a legitimate business. That was before my time on the board so I don't know the full details. He ended up sponsoring a growout that some of the members paid him about 300 dollars for from what I can recall. The growout never happened and the prizes never happened and the members never got their money back. It was a really bad situation. I do think that may be where some of the rule changes came from. It just takes one unethical person to ruin it for the rest.

If it makes you feel any better you aren't the first potential sponsor to go through this. I remember a coral farmer out here that went through the same thing till he gave up.....

I am sure I wont be the last either. I am in the works of teaming up with a friend with a coral greenhouse and we are looking to step things up...it just sucks to feel like people are burning bridges before they are built.

Like I said these are volunteer positions. We are not the high volume sponsorship driven forms like r2r or reef central no do I think that's what we want to be. There have been issues and concerns with sponsors in the past Saltsick. Since I have been on this forum there was this one member who decided to be a sponsor even though he didn't have a business license nor a legitimate business. That was before my time on the board so I don't know the full details. He ended up sponsoring a growout that some of the members paid him about 300 dollars for from what I can recall. The growout never happened and the prizes never happened and the members never got their money back. It was a really bad situation. I do think that may be where some of the rule changes came from. It just takes one unethical person to ruin it for the rest.

I understand they are volunteer positions, but if someone volunteers, they should follow through. I would volunteer, because I think change needs to be made, I dont think it all takes money, and I have time/dedication. I hate to think money is the only motivator. I understand someone had bad times. I think I have proven I am not that. Group buys and grow outs happen on a contant basis and the risk is still there, so I dont think that has anything to do with it. If it only takes one unethical person to ruin it, how many ethical people does it take to get it back?

Mike I think you missed my original response so I'm posting it again here.

Mike I haven't forgotten about you. I do think you bring a lot to the club. I also did promise you I would bring it up to the board but we as a board have actually not met since November. We still don't have a vendor relations person since Michael7979 stepped down. Stylaster our president agreed to take up the slack but he is dealing with some personal stuff. I don't think he would mind me saying that. At the January meeting I did discuss your sponsorship with Barelycuda, Tanktop, Mr S and a few moderators. However, the board as a whole has to agree and discuss this and like I said we have not met since November.

I apologize as it would have taken me 10 seconds to send you a pm just letting you know this information. I will try to do a better job with that next time.

I am the club secretary and I also help with Tanks for Teacher but I can't do it all nor do I really want to LOL as I do spend a great deal of time behind the scenes. You can ask Beth lol. I'm always with my cell phone and computer and lists! I do value you as a member of this club. Please realize you are not deliberately being swept under the rug. These are volunteer positions and sometimes life happens and gets in the way even with the best of intentions.

If you feel like there are people abusing the site, send me a pm so I can look into it.

Again, sorry for your frustration. I would feel the same way. Smann a few days ago mentioned setting up a board meeting which I think is a great idea.

Jon you make some good points. I am also fairly new to this club and do not know the exact details. Mike I do promise I will bring this up at the next board meeting we have to discuss further.

Nope...it was a guy by the name of nate that caused the rule change....he was selling greenhouse frags without paying for a sponsorship.....sponsors got upset, rightfully so, and a change took place to fix it

How do you know all of this when you just joined in February? Do you have two accounts and go by another screen name as well?

Nope...it was a guy by the name of nate that caused the rule change....he was selling greenhouse frags without paying for a sponsorship.....sponsors got upset' date=' rightfully so, and a change took place to fix it[/quote']

This is the rule that is still valid as for today. The BOD and the officers, considering the present, past and future history of the club and the available resources decided that that was the best way to handle the sponsorship. Due to our mission, the nature of our job (BOD, Officers and moderators) and the time at our disposal we opted to set up this rule that it is still a valid way to protect the name of the club.

Any vendor that is interested in becoming a Sponsor of the PNWMAS should contact the current PNWMAS President or Vendor Relations Officer. A Sponsor's Membership costs $150.00 a year in cash, gift certificates, or dry goods donation. Sponsors must be a valid business with a current business license and a physical (brick and mortar) store or an e-commerce website that is capable of taking orders and payments.

We will discuss the issue again but it is very likely that the present rule will be kept.

It is true that my dog could set up a website and became a sponsor, but remember that the BOD can always decide to reject a sponsorship even if the business requesting for the sponsorship is meeting all the requirements.

We will discuss the issue again but it is very likely that the present rule will be kept.

It is true that my dog could set up a website and became a sponsor, but remember that the BOD can always decide to reject a sponsorship even if the business requesting for the sponsorship is meeting all the requirements.

To be honest, that makes no sense, and doesnt sound like it is very open to discussion. You have rules, but still reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. That means you do look on an individual basis but only for rejection.

Ok people it is up to you. If you want me to be a sponsor speak up, but I totally feel unwelcome and swept aside. You have my contact info. I am sorry but that is not how business is done, not on a voluntary basis and pick and choose rules. I can honestly say i tried.

We just simply haven't met to discuss this particular sponsorship request.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk

I understand now...makes sense.

Mike, I'd encourage a little more patience, it sounds like it will get covered once they meet, but they haven't yet. the BoD for the corporation I work for meets once a quarter at best. when I got hired, it took a full 6months for them to approve my stock options, they had 2 meetings before they approved it and stock nearly doubled between my hire date and when they were awarded.

I say this as constructive criticism, not a jab: the fact that you're not patient for volunteers from all over the region to have a meeting makes me wonder about your business. I've never met you, never worked with you and know people who highly recommend you, but the delay you're experiencing is very understandable if you ask me. They will address it when they meet, if you don't like their answer then, go ahead and ditch. It seems like you're burning your bridge here when they haven't had a chance to open their side of it...

I understand now...makes sense.

Mike, I'd encourage a little more patience, it sounds like it will get covered once they meet, but they haven't yet. the BoD for the corporation I work for meets once a quarter at best. when I got hired, it took a full 6months for them to approve my stock options, they had 2 meetings before they approved it and stock nearly doubled between my hire date and when they were awarded.

I say this as constructive criticism, not a jab: the fact that you're not patient for volunteers from all over the region to have a meeting makes me wonder about your business. I've never met you, never worked with you and know people who highly recommend you, but the delay you're experiencing is very understandable if you ask me. They will address it when they meet, if you don't like their answer then, go ahead and ditch. It seems like you're burning your bridge here when they haven't had a chance to open their side of it...

I guess you dont know the whole story then...I have been looking into sponsorship for well over 6 months...I started this thread 3 months ago after not getting anywhere. All I have been told is we will get to it. Ok, I have heard it will be discussed at meetings etc. Never a response. How would you feel if you donated so much and never were recognized when everyone else around you is. How about sponsors being added while your request still goes unnoticed? I would think it might be a little more priority since we might need a new server and I have money for sponsorship but it wont be accepted. Yeah, I agree, each one isnt that bad, but when they add up, it is hard not to take it personally.

I really do not want to ditch, that isnt my intention, however, I am stressing the issue. I take no personal hard feelings, its just about the business side of things (me and the club). I still would gladly volunteer my time in anyway needed.

I guess you dont know the whole story then...I have been looking into sponsorship for well over 6 months...I started this thread 3 months ago after not getting anywhere. All I have been told is we will get to it. Ok, I have heard it will be discussed at meetings etc. Never a response. How would you feel if you donated so much and never were recognized when everyone else around you is. How about sponsors being added while your request still goes unnoticed? I would think it might be a little more priority since we might need a new server and I have money for sponsorship but it wont be accepted. Yeah, I agree, each one isnt that bad, but when they add up, it is hard not to take it personally.

I really do not want to ditch, that isnt my intention, however, I am stressing the issue. I take no personal hard feelings, its just about the business side of things (me and the club). I still would gladly volunteer my time in anyway needed.

Trust me when I say this, I know a lot about being asked to show more patients when I think I've shown more then enough. I for 1 don't want you to go any where, I find you a valuable source when it comes to this hobby and club. I do see both points. It would be hard to be a BOD member w/ jobs and families and the demand of the hobby to begin w/ plus the added dedication of being a BOD. I can understand why it hasn't gotten brought up yet, but it seems very important to you (thank you for that) so I'm sure it will be discussed soon. I can understand the business license rule, I can also see how some wouldn't need a web page for their business (if it was a local service), but I'm not a BOD member and can't make that call. I can say that you are valued here whether you become a sponsor or not, and I think you have the right to ask for a vote.

How about make a poll for situations like this? The members can decide for special circumstances and the rules stay in place. If enough people vote for the sponsorship we will only have ourselves to blame if something goes wrong.

Just a thought (scratch)

How about make a poll for situations like this? The members can decide for special circumstances and the rules stay in place. If enough people vote for the sponsorship we will only have ourselves to blame if something goes wrong.

Just a thought (scratch)

It seems like there's something that's a terrible idea...but I can't tell you what it is.

maybe it is a good idea maybe put it up in the members only forum, make it a public poll with two options yay and nay. if less than 100 people vote (or some number) vote 'yes', then it's a go?

matty's right...it would be our fault...

Just stumbled across this thread... Can't believe Mike is having such a hard time getting a sponsorship he's willing to pay for. I recently bought something from Ed and he doesn't have a store? He is out of his garage. But is still a vendor...

What does it take to set up another vendor? A few clicks by the admin?

Bottom line, Mike has been there for me when NO ONE else was to take care of my tanks. He is THE most honest and trustworthy person I've met in this hobby. I'd you don't want a person like that sponsoring this site, it's seriously your loss.

Just stumbled across this thread... Can't believe Mike is having such a hard time getting a sponsorship he's willing to pay for. I recently bought something from Ed and he doesn't have a store? He is out of his garage. But is still a vendor...

What does it take to set up another vendor? A few clicks by the admin?

Bottom line, Mike has been there for me when NO ONE else was to take care of my tanks. He is THE most honest and trustworthy person I've met in this hobby. I'd you don't want a person like that sponsoring this site, it's seriously your loss.

+1. .

Archived