Sponsorship Dilemmas...

MVPaquatics

Trust me when I say this' date=' I know a lot about being asked to show more patients when I think I've shown more then enough. I for 1 don't want you to go any where, I find you a valuable source when it comes to this hobby and club. I do see both points. It would be hard to be a BOD member w/ jobs and families and the demand of the hobby to begin w/ plus the added dedication of being a BOD. I can understand why it hasn't gotten brought up yet, but it seems very important to you (thank you for that) so I'm sure it will be discussed soon. I can understand the business license rule, I can also see how some wouldn't need a web page for their business (if it was a local service), but I'm not a BOD member and can't make that call. I can say that you are valued here whether you become a sponsor or not, and I think you have the right to ask for a vote.[/quote']

I can understand and respect this.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to step in and vouch for Mike.

I have known Mike for about a year. During this time he has been readily available to help out, and provide professional advice on the spot. He is a great guy.

But aside from a personal side. Mike has shown an almost astonishing level of professional commitment to this club. For starters, he has invested both time and money into the Lakeridge High School TFT program. I have to say that LHS TFT would be pretty bleak without his help. It is vendors like this that stand out as exceptional in my opinion. We need trustworthy and helpful vendors like Mike.

May I ask... How often do you see, of all of our vendors, ones who are posting as much as Mike? I think there are about five or six vendors who both sponsor and act like they are part of the club. I can safely say that Mike is part of this club, he likes doing this stuff, and he makes a living doing it. I get a feeling from Mike that he doesn't just see PNWMAS a a marketing resource :) we need more of this!

So please, don't discourage this!

I do welcome the comments and opinions provided and am impressed that we are able to have a civil discussion with different opinions.

I agree Mike has contributed to this forum in knowledge, donations, and work and has been patient with the process. I can understand why he has felt blown off.

I do know Trautman has wrangled him into helping many times for Lakeridge.

As far as Ed's reef. He did have a store with his initial sponsorship but the shop closed down.

Again as stated the BOD will review this and decide as a group.

Enjoy the nice weather!! :) I am :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk

How many meetings have been held since this issue first came to light? It seems to me that this is one thing that meetings should be for. Instead of standing around and chatting about whatever, how about taking care of some club business? This is one of the main reasons I have never formally joined this "club". Few people seem to take this seriously and I'm reluctant to give my money to a club that can't make a simple decision. To me, this is inexcusable. Here we have a legitimate businessman looking to sponsor the "club" with his hard earned dollars, and the BOD can't get on the phone for 5 minutes and come to a resolution? The officers need to take care of the business at hand. If they can't make a decision in 6 months, then something is broken and needs to be fixed. If I were MVP Aquatics, I would have bailed a long time ago. I give him a lot of credit for the patience he has shown to this point.

Just my unsolicited $.02

Okay take a deep breath...

There is a bit of a misunderstanding steelhead.

This issue has not been dragging on for 6 months and Mike is being ignored.. MVP asked for a sponsorship but he did not qualify because of the current sponsorship rules.

Then he posted up this thread and he had some good points so I told him I would bring it up at the next board meeting. We haven't had a meeting since then.

That is all.

I personally feel like this is the best local saltwater club when I compare it to other sites.

We have a lot of great members and sponsors. There is a mixture of good knowledge and camradarie and a lot of activity. I have met a lot of good people who have helped me out. I have made some great friendships. For me a 20 dollar membership more than pays for all I have gained.

Does it run perfectly all the time? No

Does it work surprisongly well considering the board is all volunteers? Yes

There is always room to make things better. Right now the server going down and getting an upgrade and getting more IT people on board is high priority. :)

I am all ears for offers of help. In fact I did have one person pm today offering to help. I get lots of nice people donating coral for TFT.

:)

I have to say though comments like I refuse to pay my membership because I don't like what's going on in the club is not really helpful.:( As it still costs money to keep the club going. Also there is a suggestion area on the forum if there are changes you would like to see or something you don't like. :)

I also respond to pms pretty quickly! :)

I personally feel like this is the best local saltwater club when I compare it to other sites.

We have a lot of great members and sponsors. There is a mixture of good knowledge and camradarie and a lot of activity. I have met a lot of good people who have helped me out. I have made some great friendships. For me a 20 dollar membership more than pays for all I have gained.

Does it run perfectly all the time? No

Does it work surprisongly well considering the board is all volunteers? Yes

There is always room to make things better. Right now the server going down and getting an upgrade and getting more IT people on board is high priority. :)

I am all ears for offers of help. In fact I did have one person pm today offering to help. I get lots of nice people donating coral for TFT.

:)

I have to say though comments like I refuse to pay my membership because I don't like what's going on in the club is not really helpful.:( As it still costs money to keep the club going. Also there is a suggestion area on the forum if there are changes you would like to see or something you don't like. :)

I also respond to pms pretty quickly! :)

Spoken like a true board member! Sorry I don't mean to stir the pot, but how many people are on the bod? Seems like the are many very active members that know one another and communicate often. Maybe if it is a lack of communication between bod 's in a timely manner then maybe a vote for a new board is in order. Please don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this forum and have and hope to continue meeting some great folks. But it seems when there is this much support behind a member trying to sponser and this much trouble communicating between board members then there is a PROBLEM period. I havnt been a longterm member nor have I been "left short"...let's say, but if your are going to give money or something of value to someone you dont know over the Internet then its a learning experience..IMO. doesn't matter if it's a member or a sponser people take the money and run all the time. Its not the character of the person its the situation of the opportunity presents itself. In my business as a antique dealer/auctioneer I have known many otherwise very trustworthy people given the opportunity make very bad decisions. And given the opportunity many will also. I am getting off topic which is why I have kept quite.... But this seems like an easy thing .. a few phone calls and then a yes or no answer. I dont want to volunteer myself but if there is something that I can do to help out the club I would like to know what I can and others can do.

Stir away Nelsz!! :).

As far as who is on the board there is an officer link. Its at the top of the forum. I can't link it now because I don't know how to do that on my phone.

I'm honestly glad we are having these conversations because it sounds like other members have had some concerns and were afraid to chime in.

Elections are coming up in May and nominations start in April so it is a perfect time to be having these discussions!!! :)

Kim, On page 5 of this thread MVP states that he has been trying to gain sponsorship for "well over 6 months". This thread was started 3 months ago. Whether it was 6 months, 3 months or 3 days, I stand by my point: make a decision already. Sheesh, 5 minutes on the phone or even in the chat room on this forum could resolve this tonight. Instead you keep putting him off, telling him you'll get to it at the next board meeting, whenever that will be. IMHO, the guy has been more than patient. He deserves an answer.

Actually, Ryan is right, it's drama like this that keeps me away more than anything.

Every year around this time this happens. If everyone is that unhappy with the current BOD and officers pay your dues and vote for the people you want in place. We loose more and more people from the forums by public hangings of our BOD then anything else. If you don't want to pay for it then it's your loss IMO. Were complaining about not paying $24 for an entire year of the forums working properly etc. This has become more of a complaint about the forum rules that these particular BOD's are following properly. Many of them have gone down this same road with Ca2or, reeflogic, cyberboy, etc.. He took advantage of the members here on the board not only with his "company" (that only lasted a few months) but also with grow-outs that he ran. He stole money from members and when asked to offer up other corals to make up for it he stopped communication. It is unfortunate that a bad seed like him has caused the forum so many issues for people like Mike that have a valid good business. But I do understand why the BOD hasn't allowed it in my eyes. The only thing that I could think that might help Mike if the BOD would allow it is to setup a facebook page for his business. It would be free for him and I think we all know that he has a legitimate business by now. Anyways just a thought.

If you want to make your complaints heard become a member so you can be a part of the voting going on in the next couple of months. (clap)

Wow people... I'm going back to my comments about the company I work for. I got stock options awarded 6months late for twice the price they should have been which then the stock price fell and is now about 1/7th of my exercise price...and they get paid dozens of thousands of dollars per year for the 2-4 meetings per year they have. I do not expect any more than thy of a volunteer bod scattered all over he NW.

If you think differently and aren't willing to fork out $20, then I guess complaining is your only option...but if you pay the $20 you can vote...or even run yourselves if you could do better...

Wow people... I'm going back to my comments about the company I work for. I got stock options awarded 6months late for twice the price they should have been which then the stock price fell and is now about 1/7th of my exercise price...and they get paid dozens of thousands of dollars per year for the 2-4 meetings per year they have. I do not expect any more than thy of a volunteer bod scattered all over he NW.

If you think differently and aren't willing to fork out $20, then I guess complaining is your only option...but if you pay the $20 you can vote...or even run yourselves if you could do better...

So how is me forking out twenty bucks going to change the points I have made? Whether I think I can do the job better or worse has no bearing on the subject. Look, I got no dog in this fight. I just think the guy deserves a yes or no answer, simple as that. It shouldn't take months to work this out. I don't even know the wannabe sponsor in question and have never had dealings with him. I just think it's a shame that this has carried on so long when a short discussion at a meeting or 5 minute phone call would settle it.

FYI...I did pay my $20 bucks a few years ago and never saw any benefit for doing so. I don't even think it was ever recorded anywhere.

I do agree he needs a answer but I would like to give you some advice on your complaint on you donating time and services and equipment as I have been there and said things I wish I didn't and also almost left but a wise lady told me(my wife) you do this because u love it so if you expect notirity or praise for what u do or donate don't do it, do it because u just want to and to better the folks u deal with nothing more.

I do agree he needs a answer but I would like to give you some advice on your complaint on you donating time and services and equipment as I have been there and said things I wish I didn't and also almost left but a wise lady told me(my wife) you do this because u love it so if you expect notirity or praise for what u do or donate don't do it' date=' do it because u just want to and to better the folks u deal with nothing more.[/quote']

SOOOO true! I really wasn't trying to complain, it was just one of the pieces to the puzzle that added up and made me feel swept aside. I know now it is mostly just bad coincidences, but am still glad I pressed the issue. Can I pay for a single membership so I can vote? and pay the difference IF the time comes?

Wow Jody very well said! Your wife is a very special lady!! My feelings exactly!

Mike sure you can pay for a membership now and I can credit u if the sponsorship works out.

There are a lot of new members lately which is exciting!! I would like for people to consider running for the board , becoming a member, and voting!!

Dont know if this belongs in this thread, but maybe the BOD should have a mandatory meeting schedule. Im sure that the BOD could agree on a meeting schedule so that discussions like this don't happen and carry on. This way we can all expect to have a timely answer and not have a long drawn out delima on our hands, and take away from the real reason we are all here "Reefing"

I know I am not to active of a member here anymore but I am still addicted to this hobby, If i could have a tank I would...I still come here to get my fix!!!

i used to be the newsletter editor for the radio control airplane club that flies behind the fairgrounds, ( when the fairgrounds will allow it.) they have a club meeting every month, They do not have any BOD's. Anything that comes up is brought up at the monthly meeting, voted on. It would seem like it would be reasonable to have 3 or 4 scheduled meetings a year by the board. to say we will discuss it at the BOD meeting, when none is scheduled, no one has said when one will be scheduled, seems a bit bit vague. before anyone says if i don't like the way things are run, i should run for a position on the board, I would. EXCEPT, for the fact i have been told numerous times i an rude & obnoxious. the airplane club told me that, i have been banned off RC for life because they said i was abusive. needless to say , i guess i am not politically correct. i used to send out the evites for club meeting for this club, too. i quit before it got that far. is there a board meeting scheduled that has not been mentioned? FWIW, thx

Exactly the reasons that someone like you should run.

i used to be the newsletter editor for the radio control airplane club that flies behind the fairgrounds' date=' ( when the fairgrounds will allow it.) they have a club meeting every month, They do not have any BOD's. Anything that comes up is brought up at the monthly meeting, voted on. It would seem like it would be reasonable to have 3 or 4 scheduled meetings a year by the board. to say we will discuss it at the BOD meeting, when none is scheduled, no one has said when one will be scheduled, seems a bit bit vague. before anyone says if i don't like the way things are run, i should run for a position on the board, I would. EXCEPT, for the fact i have been told numerous times i an rude & obnoxious. the airplane club told me that, i have been banned off RC for life because they said i was abusive. needless to say , i guess i am not politically correct. i used to send out the evites for club meeting for this club, too. i quit before it got that far. is there a board meeting scheduled that has not been mentioned? FWIW, thx[/quote']

i used to be the newsletter editor for the radio control airplane club that flies behind the fairgrounds' date=' ( when the fairgrounds will allow it.) they have a club meeting every month, They do not have any BOD's. Anything that comes up is brought up at the monthly meeting, voted on. It would seem like it would be reasonable to have 3 or 4 scheduled meetings a year by the board. to say we will discuss it at the BOD meeting, when none is scheduled, no one has said when one will be scheduled, seems a bit bit vague. before anyone says if i don't like the way things are run, i should run for a position on the board, I would. EXCEPT, for the fact i have been told numerous times i an rude & obnoxious. the airplane club told me that, i have been banned off RC for life because they said i was abusive. needless to say , i guess i am not politically correct. i used to send out the evites for club meeting for this club, too. i quit before it got that far. is there a board meeting scheduled that has not been mentioned? FWIW, thx[/quote']

in order to get anything done, you have to be able to walk that fine between bieng mouthy,with out pi**ing people off. i don't seem to be able to do that. not my intention, that is the way it works. it is what it is.

Archived