1. 1.

• turboflotor 250gals $210.00
    • euroreef rs250 250gals $479.00
    • ex-2 250gals $400.00
    • H&S ap150 225gals $650.00
    • tunze DOC 9015 396gals $428.00
    • ATI bubblemaster 200 250gal $580.00

Guest Mbeef61

lol yeah thats what i have....it might not be the biggest model but its the double pump model on my 100 gallon....skims like crazy. ive been through prizms, turboflotors, beckets etc....nothing skims like a needlewheel, and if one pump is good. 2 is better.....then 3 or 4 lol. you can see where this is going

ok but the problme ive had with octopus is that i have to mod them to make them anywhere near what the other companies are have achived for example the rps 1000 out of the box i got 200-300 lph now with the mesh mod i was able to double that to around 500 lph now a euroreef 250 out of the box gets 1200 lph mod that and get up to 1500-1700 lph why waste my money???

A RPS-1000 is a tiny tiny skimmer. I was running it on a 37G tank. I would never recommend it for a 120.

What about this?

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_35&products_id=74

It might be a little big but would rock for under $400.

Then don't buy a Octopus. Octopus are in a certain price niche. It is unfair to compare them to a Euro or Deltec because they are sooooo much cheaper.

Had a turbofloater before. Currently have a used ER 6-1. Outperforms the TF by a long shot. Kinda set and forget also besides cleanings vs the TF seemed touchy IMO.

Of all the skimmers Ive owned I like the ER the best. (TF, RedSea, Tunze and a few others)

Thought about a MRC skimmer but decided I didnt want a beckett.

ok but the problme ive had with octopus is that i have to mod them to make them anywhere near what the other companies are have achived for example the rps 1000 out of the box i got 200-300 lph now with the mesh mod i was able to double that to around 500 lph now a euroreef 250 out of the box gets 1200 lph mod that and get up to 1500-1700 lph why waste my money???

You say you don't want to mod the octopus, then you say the other skimmers are better modded?

I agree though, why waste your money? Spend $200-$300 on the octopus, spend 4 minutes adding mesh and you get similar performance to those $500+ skimmers.

look at your favorite tanks and see what they are using?

I try and copy what others are doing with skimmers that have tanks worthy of my enjoyment that I can see in person when ever possible. Out of your list I would go with the biggest H&S or Euroreef you can afford. I don't know if space, noise, customer service and power are a concern so I would go with H&S or Euroreef off your list.

never used trigger systems so i can't say on that....

If it was me I'd get the Euro then wonder if I should have waited/gambled and got the H&S....????

As far as H&S I like there stuff. It is really nice and well thought out. Not many people around that I know of have H&S skimmers so hard to see them in action. Problem is the waiting list is long and tech support, warranty is hard to deal with. You might not even be able to get one. I just waited 3 months for my ca reactor but it was WELL WORTH IT. If you get the Euroreef insump make sure it comes with a gatevale/ballvalve mod on it or put one on yourself. You can easily get this skimmer from an LFS ready to go no modding.

I think you might find H&S is not an option if you want a skimmer now. Have you looked into it? I haven't ordered my H&S skimmer because the last time I checked it was pretty far out. Take there ETA and times it by 2 since it is usually not shipped direct to you from H&S and then hope it doesn't come damaged.

Not sure why people feel that you need to give away a first born to get a good product in this hobby, I see powdertang you have changed your mind and possibly going with an ASM, so this not directed at you. Octopus puts out a great skimmer...there have been a few people who have said so... This is not a car hobby where we are buying new engine parts and a MM means all the difference...but yet everyone screams euro-reef and H&S...make no sense...but hey to each his own...

ASM are great skimmers especialy for price...I am sure you will be happy with your decision.

yup they do and euro reef uses a gen x 6000 and h&s uses aquabees and upper models ehiem 1260's, the think im really just stuck on is lph of air asm is unknown but im guessiing if they use the same pumps as euro did before it was around 480 lph and the euros get about 900-1200 lph and h&s with the aquabees gets 480 lph and with the ehiem they get 800-900 lph

but yet everyone screams euro-reef and H&S...make no sense...but hey to each his own...

are you directing this at me?

I went off his list and octopus wasn't on it. Neither was ASM. (good skimmers though)

reefgeek - just curious - have you ever personally used an H&S or a euroreef? Why do you think I make "no sense" since I have both of those brands and by the way I still have my kids ;)

I love skimmer threads.

are you directing this at me?

I went off his list and octopus wasn't on it. Neither was ASM. (good skimmers though)

reefgeek - just curious - have you ever personally used an H&S or a euroreef? Why do you think I make "no sense" since I have both of those brands and by the way I still have my kids ;)

I love skimmer threads.

No, this was not directed at anyone...I am sorry I should have made that more clear...as for selling a firstborn, I was being sarcastic...but I truly think that you can get a skimmer that does just as well as a very expensive skimmer...To me it is like comparing a cadilac and a bently...they are both very nice cars and offer the same things as each other, but the Bently is way more expensive and might offer something slightly more, but most can not justify the cost...

I do not own a euro reef currently, I have used one and I know some one with a deltech and an H&S, and they are very nice skimmers...but do not offer much more then the name...granted my octopus stock does not totally compare to the pumps used, but once I mod it, it will hold its own for alot less money and to me that is important...I would rather spend less on a skimmer that is not quite as nice as the others and mod it, then take that money and spend it on some coral or fish...

but again to each his own.... (rock2)