What's your favorite clean up crew member?

Emerald525

What's your favorite clean up crew member?  

1. 1.

• A: Nerites
    • B: Nassarius
    • C: Trochus
    • D: Margarita
    • E:Astreas
    • F: Hermit crabs
    • G: Other
    • H: I just drink a margarita and stop caring about the algae

That's right another poll!(laugh) I wanted to get people's opinions about cucs Not all cucs are created equally (nono)

I personally prefer the trochus snails. They are more expensive but they can flip themselves back over and seem more resistant to hungry hermit crabs.

Many people use hermit crabs , including me but they can mow stuff over when they get big and they are opportunistic snail eaters. Love those electric blue and Halloween hermits though! The dwarf hermits I have had better luck with them being model citizens.

Astrea snails just don't seem to last long for me so the more expensive price for the Trochus is worth it to me. Margarita snails also have decreased survivability as they tend to do better in colder environments.

The conchs are fun and I have those, the only downside is they too like to flip over stuff.

I also love the Tonga nassarius. They are cool to watch and great sandsifters.

What are people using and what do they like?

Emerald crabs are great for bubble algae. I have just had bad luck when they get really big. I had to remove one because it was pulling expensive corals under the rocks. He was pretty easy to catch though as he was so big he really wasn't afraid of anything in the tank. Have never tried horseshoe crabs but I have heard that someone I know has a few of them. ;). Peppermint shrimp if you get them in groups can be great aiptasia eaters. I can't have them in my tank though because the wrasses think they are delicacies

My favorite are aefw! They pick the color right off my acro's. Better yet you can't even tell they are there and they are impossible to kill. I don't care how bad your tank husbandry is. Yes I am very bitter right now(flame)

Um John not the answer I was looking for but tell me how you really feel about flatworms :)

I really like the trochus snails. Picked some up from Garrett last fall after reading how much others loved them. One became a hermit shell almost immediately, but I still have the other two. They are great algae eaters, and I love that they can right themselves - makes them WAY better than the turbos!

I love my conch snail. Never had a problem with him moving things. I just think he is so cute w/ his little eyeballs and elephant trunk snout.

I had a dragon goby that was keeping everything nice, and was very cool to watch. His only downside was he made the tank cloudy, but after having him for a month or so it got much better/cleaner. In the 3 1/2 years I've been reefing, I lost two fish. One the first summer, a blue damsel (good riddance) got overheated in my tank. AND, the dragon goby mysteriously died. No clue as to why, so I'm very hesitant to get another.

Yeah I love my tiger conchs. Your tank probably isn't as jam packed full of corals as mine (laugh) . I had 2 in one tank and had to put one in the frag tank because the 2 of them would just knock chalices and zoas over. Garrett is the only one locally that I consistently see that carries trochus snails. They are well worth the money.

Is it ok to mark them all?! LOL I like them all for one or ten reasons :) I would also toss on about 50 more options and like all of them as well. Bumble Bee Snails, I would devide up the nassarius into several varieties, I would devide the hermits up in to a dozen or so varieties, the trochus into a few varieties, add ton of different things like brittle/serpent stars, emerald crabs, sallys, shrimp, etc. I love CUC items!!!

Is it ok to mark them all?! LOL I like them all for one or ten reasons :) I would also toss on about 50 more options and like all of them as well. Bumble Bee Snails' date=' I would devide up the nassarius into several varieties, I would devide the hermits up in to a dozen or so varieties, the trochus into a few varieties, add ton of different things like brittle/serpent stars, emerald crabs, sallys, shrimp, etc. I love CUC items!!![/quote']

I have to say Garrett you do have the best selection of clean up crews. Beth hates the sally light foots because they look to much like spiders! I love the bumble bee snails too. I also prefer the dwarf hermits.

Kim, what is a "cuc"? Is it a sound that chickens make? My favorite clean up crew members are sea hares and black turd cucumbers or tiger tail cucumbers. Anything that leaves pellets in its path has to be doing a good job on the substrate. Only bad point is that they are bulldozers and you really need to screen your powerheads and return line because they like to crawl down them. WAW

Kim' date=' what is a "cuc"? Is it a sound that chickens make? My favorite clean up crew members are sea hares and black turd cucumbers or tiger tail cucumbers. Anything that leaves pellets in its path has to be doing a good job on the substrate. Only bad point is that they are bulldozers and you really need to screen your powerheads and return line because they like to crawl down them. WAW[/quote']

I have heard the sea cucumbers can be toxic if they die in your tank but I also heard that about sea hares and never had an issue. I suppose with a larger tank volume that's not the issue.

Waw! You don't know what CUC means?

Hey Roger it looks like we will be going to Garrett's on Saturday so I can meet you with your grandis paly and freebie from HEZA. Is there anything else I owe you?

• 2 weeks later...

Are trochus snails good at eating green and brown algaes? I'm starting to get a light dusting of algae on my live rock and my current CUC isn't keeping up (I lost a few snails when I have the dino breakout). I need to add a few more snails to help catch up and was just wondering what to get. I read that the trochus snails clean the tanks glass and that's it. I used to have Turbo snails and they were great at cleaning everything, but they also knocked everything over. Is there a snail that cleans rocks like a Turbo, but in a smaller package?

I'd have to say the number one choice around here for cleanup crew is the human.

Not too big on snails, they knock the frags all over the place. But I do like Silky Tegulas, which I got once from Reeftopia and have not seen again. They stay small, and even produced a few babies in the tank. Hermits killed them off eventually, took their shells, and then mostly got murdered by the male melanurus wrasse. That's fine, I don't need no stinking hermits!

Oh I like the free nocturnal snails as well, such as Stomatella varia (used to have black fleshed ones, so would like to track those down again) and the tiny Collinista snails.

Here's a link if you don't know what I am talking about

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/Hitchsnails.html