What's your favorite clean up crew member?

Emerald525

What's your favorite clean up crew member?  

1. 1.

• A: Nerites
    • B: Nassarius
    • C: Trochus
    • D: Margarita
    • E:Astreas
    • F: Hermit crabs
    • G: Other
    • H: I just drink a margarita and stop caring about the algae

I like my two hermits, a halloween and an electric blue (named Anna Phyllactic and Al Lergia, respectively. The girlfriend has shellfish allergies, hence the names.) I just really like their looks.

I also love Mr. Happy, my spider conch. He's great at sifting the sand and eating the detritus. I always thought they mainly ate algae and diatoms, but recently read a study done by someone at UC Santa Cruz, I believe, stating that fenced off areas of tanks with conchs had a much lower level of detritus, somewhere close to the order of 90 percent, than other similar areas that they couldn't reach, while levels of vegetation hadn't changed nearly that much. Kind of interesting to learn.

Oh ya, and my skunk cleaner, Bob (short for Shish'ka Bob), sorta has ADHD and is very entertaining to watch when he's active. My yellow tang, Tango (full name: Tango Ray), won't let him near cuz Bob will swim out to the middle of the tank to jump him and try to get some cleaning nibblins in. I guess Tango thinks Bob is just a little too excited to get close to him...

• 2 months later...

I am a big fan of Trochus snails as well. But, whenever I get Astrea snails, most of them become murder victims, and the hermits always leave one witness behind for some reason. I also have a watchman goby that does an excellent job sifting sand, but he does not play well with others. He also occasionally redecorates the tank and carries hermits, snails and smaller pieces of rubble around in his mouth.

• 5 months later...

I'm a big fan of the nassarius snails, they sift the sand and pick up any left overs. However, it takes a ton of them to really make a difference in my 55g tank. I have a Astrea snail who does ok, and I had 4 turbo snails, but 2 of them have died recently =/

well, if it's revived, I'll pitch in that my 'other' response is a turd...ahem: sea hare...all the way. nothing goes after the microalgae like them, IME. whether it's the little film on the glass, GHA, diatoms...seems like anything from the plant kingdom that doesn't have real structure. I had some Caulerpa prolifera in my 55 that had some fluffy stuff growing on it (I had some seriously full-of-nutrient rock to start with), my turd cleaned the fluffy stuff off the plant, leaving the plant intact...very impressed. though i also like nass snails for their sandbed work and trochus since they can flip themselves over.

oh and the chesnut snail (nasserius sp.)from garrett's (TPA) is a fav too.

Oh yes Sea Hares do great work. I just can't ever seem to keep one. They disappear. I suspect the wrasses keep eating them. They are also very cool creatues. I had one that actually ate all the cyano I had in my tank. They are such efficient eaters they can starve. I also had one get shredded when it tried to clean the vortech :( so I just gave up on getting one now as I was sad to keep losing them.

the one I had in the 55 died after several months...I think he starved. now I've got one in the 90g and am running 30g of fuge (w/ lights) in the sump, so I figure I can just swap him between the fuge and the display every so often to keep him from starving...I hope.

there's some other in corvallis that would probably take him from me quickly if it looks like he's ran out of food in both. super efficient. i wish there was a smaller variety we could use so they were less likely to starve themselves!

rumor is they will eat algae sheets, but I'm not sure.