Nate's 150 build

Nate213

Started a new project this weekend. Picked up lewisriverfisherman's 150 gallon tank and stand. This is going to be my temporary tank while we start a new in-wall build for our family room. I put the tank in our unfinished "hobby" room in the basement. We are going to install wood floors in the rest of the basement, so I'm going to get this tank up and running and then transfer over my 75 gallon to it. That will free up the space for the floors. Once the floors are done, I can start the big build. ;).

The size of this tank (48" x 30") is perfect for me because I can use most of my existing 75g equipment and save the $ for the final tank.

05f5cb19.jpg

5b273e84.jpg

Nice temporary tank! I'm glad I didn't have to move it! (laugh)

It wasnt so bad. This is how you do it:

Recruit 3 family members and a buddy, have them meet at your house. Round up all the equipment and head off toward town. Realize when you are near your work to pickup a dolly, that you forgot your keys. Then your buddy convinces you that you have enough guys to carry it out. Drive the rest of the way (45 minutes) to pickup the tank. When you get there and look at the tank, 4 out of 5 decide that you need a dolly. (Your buddy who resembles Shrek only slightly thinner and less green, is still convinced that you can carry it up the flight of stairs. Heck he can do it himself.) Drive to the local hardware store and buy a dolly because U-Haul is closed. After your jaunt to the hardware store your crew needs refreshments so you stop at the AM-PM and buy a Red Bull, a Mountain Dew, 3 gatorades, 3 pepperoni sticks, some beef jerky and a bag of Fritos BBQ twists. You go back, move the tank up a flight of stairs, through a garage and into the back of your truck. Drive 1-hour home. Move tank & stand into house. Provide more refreshments: 3 cans of Pabst Blue Ribbon, 1 can Heineken, 1 can Miller Hi-Life, 3 pints of homebrew IPA, 2 pints of homebrew amber ale, and one pint homebrew stout. I think that about covers it...

It wasnt so bad. This is how you do it:

Recruit 3 family members and a buddy, have them meet at your house. Round up all the equipment and head off toward town. Realize when you are near your work to pickup a dolly, that you forgot your keys. Then your buddy convinces you that you have enough guys to carry it out. Drive the rest of the way (45 minutes) to pickup the tank. When you get there and look at the tank, 4 out of 5 decide that you need a dolly. (Your buddy who resembles Shrek only slightly thinner and less green, is still convinced that you can carry it up the flight of stairs. Heck he can do it himself.) Drive to the local hardware store and buy a dolly because U-Haul is closed. After your jaunt to the hardware store your crew needs refreshments so you stop at the AM-PM and buy a Red Bull, a Mountain Dew, 3 gatorades, 3 pepperoni sticks, some beef jerky and a bag of Fritos BBQ twists. You go back, move the tank up a flight of stairs, through a garage and into the back of your truck. Drive 1-hour home. Move tank & stand into house. Provide more refreshments: 3 cans of Pabst Blue Ribbon, 1 can Heineken, 1 can Miller Hi-Life, 3 pints of homebrew IPA, 2 pints of homebrew amber ale, and one pint homebrew stout. I think that about covers it...

LOL :-) LOL

It actually seem to come out of my basement pretty easy.

• 2 weeks later...
That's a cool size for a tank. If this is temporary' date=' what's your built in going to be?[/quote']

Haven't decided for sure. I need to measure and see what will look best and fit in the spot. I'm thinking the 300 - 350 gallon range. Something 5-6 ft long x 3-4 ft wide x 24" tall.

Nice little story you had there-Cant wait to see the end product-Marinelands DD tank is 300 gallon 72x36x27-it was the way I was going to go-SAWEET tank still not sure I went the right route with the way I am going glass vs acrylic-(scratch)

Your plan read very similar to my story-Had a 75 gallon, needed to move it in oreder to remodel for the inwall and I found a 150 gallon to use in the interim-(laugh)

Deja vu

Following along

Nice little story you had there-Cant wait to see the end product-Marinelands DD tank is 300 gallon 72x36x27-it was the way I was going to go-SAWEET tank still not sure I went the right route with the way I am going glass vs acrylic-(scratch)

Your plan read very similar to my story-Had a 75 gallon, needed to move it in oreder to remodel for the inwall and I found a 150 gallon to use in the interim-(laugh)

Deja vu

Following along

Yep the 300 DD is what inspired me, but I may have to go custom to fit the space. I'm also interested in running a coast to coast overflow / bean animal setup. If I could get marineland to custom the 300 DD with that overflow setup, that would be ideal.

Wow, that should be very cool. It's funny, when friends ask how big my tank is I respond with small. I guess 90G is small in comparison, but takes most people by surprise when they see it! A 300G would be so incredible, but I'd need a home equity line of credit to stock it!

Wow' date=' that should be very cool. It's funny, when friends ask how big my tank is I respond with small. I guess 90G is small in comparison, but takes most people by surprise when they see it! A 300G would be so incredible, but I'd need a home equity line of credit to stock it![/quote']

It is funny with saltwater. For a reef tank, I consider anything less than 200 gallons small. For freshwater, I think anything 75 gallons or larger is big. I have had the same question. "How big is your tank?" My response "not very big" Then they ask how many gallons and I tell them 75 and they think that is huge.

• 2 weeks later...

Put 200#s of rock in the tank last night. It's not aquascaped yet, I just sorted and piled them up by size. Im going to epoxy them together with acrylic rods to create some tower like structures. I just wanted to get the cycle started. It is nice to finally see something in the tank.

I haven't gotten as far as I'd hoped with the sump. I only have one of the four baffles done. Hopefully by next weekend I can finish it and the return plumbing.

Here are the rock pics:

c9066cd4.jpg

48664a8e.jpg

9b60da7f.jpg

018c8201.jpg

Looks like the civil engineer is wondering about permits being pulled and questioning the integrity' date=' looks like a tough cookie-I think you are toast(whistle)[/quote']

Integrity passed but she insisted in coming back for another piping inspection. She was also concerned about the amount of sand and rock. I had to explain that I had 50 more pounds of dry rock on order and 4 more bags of sand that weren't at the job site.

The piping inspector was back today and she was happier:

a0034fd4.jpg

fa7d8731.jpg

Here are a couple of photos of the drain lines & return. Its getting there, but not quite complete.

37385046.jpg

694403dc.jpg

I made a real simple three chamber sump out of a 40B. Far left will be fuge, center will be return and right side skimmer chamber.

966c75ac.jpg

And some more obligatory rock photos:

a0af73d1.jpg

901c815c.jpg

9e0d8149.jpg